Vanguard Show

Just saw a video of Vanguards uniform run through and simply put the show is not bueno.

First off the music isn't well arranged. There are a lot of awkward moments in the music where you only hear pit but it sounds either like they don't know their parts or it was just poorly arranged.

I think we saw the same videos, and I couldn't disagree with you more.

The arrangement is true to the original, subtly layered, and the percussion book is very musical and fits perfectly with the horn book. I don't know diddly about guard, but I have to say that I truly enjoy the dance and equipment work they are doing. The last power moment of Simple Gifts brought me to tears (all from a video recording). It's simply drum corps, no gimmicks or fancy tricks needed.

I can't WAIT to see them live, and I hope that you can see them this year and hopefully they can erase the "not bueno" review you gave.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could this be the year that they finally listen to me and hire a new design team? :rolleyes:

I am thrilled that SCV is able to stay away from the "Spartacus" trend. The arrangement is beautiful. However, the drill is not as sophisticated as past years. But I am glad that they realize that the complexity of their 2008 show is hurting their placement.

For me, I personally prefer a show that you could be impressed by the audio recording alone. For that reason, I would much prefer Phantom 2003's Harmonic Journey than the Spartacus.

Well... feel free to disagree :rolleyes:

Ah...my bad. Guess they're really in trouble, then!

Oh sure, it must be a foregone conclusion because AzEuph is a FMM. :rolleyes::w00t:

The vast majority of reports I have heard from FMM's have been very, very positive. Not predicting a championship contender necessarily but nearly universally calling the show beautiful and well designed. I'm looking forward to seeing them on 7/3 and judging for myself.

I have to agree with the original post. I'm not very fond of Vanguard's show. The arrangement is not doing it for me at all, and the only thing truly doing for me is the guard (much improved thanks to Jenifo).

JUDGE FOR YOURSELF !!!!????!?!?!?!!!

WHAT KIND OF NONSENSE IS THAT !!!?!?!!?!?!

It really isn't that complicated. All I have heard to date is opinions of others (many favorable, a few negative), and a few snippets on fan network. I'm looking forward to seeing them live and forming an opinion based upon what I see and hear as opposed to what I read.

How is that NONSENSE?!?! :thumbup:

Geez..the season just started. It's way to early to be critical. 1997. I was not impressed with SCV early in the season that year. Almost 10 pts behind a very clean and good BD show. End of the season, they tied BD in quarters and IMO should have placed 2nd. It's still one of my fav. SCV show to date.

I think it's safe to say that if they don't have the visual demand they had the past few years...they're toast.