Vanguard Show

I think it's safe to say that if they don't have the visual demand they had the past few years...they're toast.

Not necessarily. The execution has been the problem ever since 2005.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I may have watched the same video from That Unmentioned Place the original poster watched (it's not there anymore).

Yes, the show is toned down and seems easier (esp. drill) from years past. But I think there is a lot to admire about the show: I like Key's arrangement, I don't recall the brass sounding this warm so early on since 04, the percussion book is musical and interesting, and the closer is a really really big treat-- it's loud, it's pretty, it comes out of nowhere; I got major chills.

I don't know if they'll crack the top 4 or 5 this year; it's too early to tell. But I do know that the staff is building a very firm foundation this year and I'll be looking for SCV to be in championship form in the very near future.

Edited by just_another_fanatic

This is probably the type of show that will take until late season until most people appreciate it. I'm sure by the time we see the absolute finished product it will be something everyone will enjoy.

Is it different than the usual in-your-face vanguard of the past few years? Definitely. But that's the nature of the original.

Personally I love the direction they've gone with this show (sans the synths of course). I'd love to see a higher camera version of it so I can appreciate the drill more.

I know you are stating your opinion, and as a vet I think you have more insight then the rest of us, which is cool, but the other reviews that have been posted have been nothing but positive. If you look at a few of the reviews from last weekend, they will tell you that most people preferred the red team over the blue team, which is saying a lot. I'll be at the show tonight and let you know what I see.

Why did you quote me for this? Did I say something bad about SCV? I tried hard not to because I like their show.

Just saw a video of Vanguards uniform run through and simply put the show is not bueno.

First off the music isn't well arranged. There are a lot of awkward moments in the music where you only hear pit but it sounds either like they don't know their parts or it was just poorly arranged.

The drill, which IMO has been Vanguards forte since 06, looks like Weber gave back the duty to Myron without anybody knowing! There is nothing to this drill.

There's no theme to the show besides music and dancing I guess. Overall kind of dissappointed and not expecting much this year. Not sure whose idea it was to change from Clue but I think they might have made a wrong decision unless Clue was just horribly designed (which if it was anything like 07/08 then it'd be better designed than this).

I'm hoping that there are a TON of add ons as the season goes on because right now it just seems like it's lacking a lot. I hope Vanguard proves me wrong...... :thumbup:

Let me put, I'm not a music fan so I don't know if it's arranged to the original. It could be, but not all original music is meant for the field. I haven't mind Key's arrangements with SCV but this doesn't seem quite like the drum corps book to me. If it's the original then I say they should have picked better.

I love Vanguard but again I hope they prove me wrong.

Let me put, I'm not a music fan so I don't know if it's arranged to the original. It could be, but not all original music is meant for the field. I haven't mind Key's arrangements with SCV but this doesn't seem quite like the drum corps book to me. If it's the original then I say they should have picked better.

I love Vanguard but again I hope they prove me wrong.

I see.

A 1944 16mm film of the original work and cast (including Martha Graham) is posted on YOU TUBE...It provided some insight to me about what SCV is trying and will accomplish; a tribute to the original work. It explains Key's arrangement and the guard work and movement certainly reflect the staff's intentions. The program is a work in progress it is a controlled development to the end of season (like the Cavs) and I like what I see and hear...If they executed it and sell it they will surprise even their expectations. This will be a magical year for SCV I feel it in my bones. Fiedler is on board now.. a master at producing a product that sells and executes well. I cheer for their future.

BD Vet and DIE HARD BLUE BLOODED FAN...PS and the Devs have a monster of a show this year too I might add! GO BD! 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It really isn't that complicated. All I have heard to date is opinions of others (many favorable, a few negative), and a few snippets on fan network. I'm looking forward to seeing them live and forming an opinion based upon what I see and hear as opposed to what I read.

How is that NONSENSE?!?! :thumbup:

I'm sorry, but are you sure you're on the right website ????

I, too, am a FMM, and I enjoyed the SCV show I saw at Family Day last week... one of the first Poulen shows that sounded like SCV-quality material in my opinion. Drill is classical and beautiful... and undoubtedly will be changed is the season progresses. The corps has spent several years struggling with programs not quite within their reach and this one is...