Who will be this year's surprise Corps ?

Most years there is one Corps that surprises us in a positive way by doing much better placement wise than most people had anticipated before the year began. We can pretty much always expect The Cadets, BD, Cavs to be near the top, and Phantom to be knocking on the door every few years.

The Blue Stars seem to have been last year's " surprise Corps '"re. placement.

Who do we think will be this years positive " surprise Corps" re. placement wise come Finals.

Right now out of the 15 or so Corps that have competed, I don't see a " surprise Corps " placement wise in the mix as of yet. Some of these Corps no doubt might finish a couple of places better than last year, but nothing all that " surprising ".

Question: Do you see a " Surprise Corps" this year for us ? In other words, a Corps that you believe will finish at least 3 spots higher than they did last year ?

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: Do you see a " Surprise Corps" this year for us ? In other words, a Corps that you believe will finish at least 3 spots higher than they did last year ?

Troopers

Troopers

That would a nice surprise, Granny.

They'd have to go from 16th to 13th..... and maybe make Finals in 12th. It seems doable if they have a better Corps this year. I 'd certainly like for them to become the " surprise Corps " for 2009.

Edited by BRASSO

I'll say the Bluecoats. If they can bring up the visual numbers to go along with strong performance captions they could beat some top corps.

I could see the Bluecoats perhaps moving up maybe a spot or at most ,two spots. That really wouldn't " surprise " me all that much though. They finished 6th last year. They'd have to crack 3rd at Finals to be a true " surprise Corps " in my opinion. It's so hard for a " surprise Corps " to crack the top 3 these days. And I'd be VERY surprised to see the Bluecoats in that mix. But it sure would be a nice ' surprise" though wouldn't it ?

Edited by BRASSO

Most years there is one Corps that surprises us in a positive way by doing much better placement wise than most people had anticipated before the year began. We can pretty much always expect The Cadets, BD, Cavs to be near the top, and Phantom to be knocking on the door every few years.

The Blue Stars seem to have been last year's " surprise Corps '"re. placement.

Who do we think will be this years positive " surprise Corps" re. placement wise come Finals.

Right now out of the 15 or so Corps that have competed, I don't see a " surprise Corps " placement wise in the mix as of yet. Some of these Corps no doubt might finish a couple of places better than last year, but nothing all that " surprising ".

Id say it's really really hard to tell right now. Just too early. Most of the time I think the corps we call the surprise corps is one that jumps into finals that hasn't been there before (or for a really long time ala Blue Stars) or shoots way up from the bottom tier of the finalists to a top 6 position. In all honesty, I think it's going to be very hard for any corps to jump into finals this year that wasn't in last year. Everyone in that bottom tier of finalists seems to have either stayed the same or gotten better. I think Crossmen or Colts may have a shot but they will have to be pretty darn good at the end of the year to pass another one of the corps ahead of them and at this point I don't see a major top 6 breakthrough (even for the BlueStars sorry to say) But it's early and anything can happen.

If I had to say now I would guess Spirit. I saw them last night. Their hornline sound was amazing and they had some of the best feet of the night. much cleaner than Madison Scouts.

Um...I think I just blacked out for a moment--did you say SPIRIT "had some of the best feet of the night"? Thank you so much for the compliment and Rock On Spirit :tongue:

If I had to say now I would guess Spirit. I saw them last night. Their hornline sound was amazing and they had some of the best feet of the night. much cleaner than Madison Scouts.

I'd have to say that I was surprised that Spirit tied the Madison Scouts last night. I didn't see that one coming. These 2 Corps might be going back and forth in close competition all season. Or one will pull away from the other. Time will tell.

But Spirit's score last night should be encouraging to them right now off their first competition.

I'd have to say that I was surprised that Spirit tied the Madison Scouts last night. I didn't see that one coming. These 2 Corps might be going back and forth in close competition all season. Or one will pull away from the other. Time will tell.

But Spirit's score last night should be encouraging to them right now off their first competition.

Spirit beat Madison at the first show last year...

Colts were beating Bluestars for the first few weeks of the season last year too....

With an opening score in the low 60's for Spirit, Madison, and Colts I would not be jumping for joy if I were them.... it is extremely early though so no need to panic.