Dennis Dodd... again?

This:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=125720

is the recent DCP thread on the writer's second column on marching bands, if that's what you were looking to comment on, acolli.

I didn't comment in this thread, but I thought at the time it ran that it would be a huge mistake to email the guy negative feedback on his column. And that proved to be correct, because if I'm reading what people wrote in the above-linked thread correctly (it's not worth my time to read it), he used the email responses to make fun of the people who sent them. He's a troll. Interacting with trolls is always a bad idea. It only encourages them to continue trolling. I strongly recommend ignoring him. You're not going to change his mind, no matter what you say, to him or here.

Sarcasm on:.......It's better to just let it go, he's only gonna laugh at you, it makes you look silly....... Sarcasm off: I think you're missing a big point, I don't care about people laughing at me, I don't care if someone doesn't think highly of what I write or whether or not it will change the writer. I only care that this kind of blatent trash should not be published by one of the most revered networks in the news market.... It is one thing for this guy to place blame towards someone for placing that cart, but to go off on a rant about band and how nerdy they are? My friends at times made fun of me for being in band, but it stopped in HS because I wasn't afraid to be who I am. I played football, basketball and tennis and saw that the two activities can and do coexist. With that being said, somone telling me "Their All Gonna Laugh At You," doesn't make a #### to me..... I wrote to both Dodd and his supervisors/Head of CBS. It's out of my hands, but I basically am done with CBS and that is a power we possess, so who does the laughing then????

Wes P

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I'd be a lot more outraged if he was attacking DRUM CORPS.

He's not attacking the whole pageantry world, he's got a screw loose about MARCHING BAND...

I have a feeling he would say exactly the same thing about DCI. Most people don't really see a difference. It's band geeks running around on a field. And it's not like this guy seems to have a lot going on upstairs.

Sarcasm on:.......It's better to just let it go, he's only gonna laugh at you, it makes you look silly....... Sarcasm off: I think you're missing a big point, I don't care about people laughing at me, I don't care if someone doesn't think highly of what I write or whether or not it will change the writer. I only care that this kind of blatent trash should not be published by one of the most revered networks in the news market.... It is one thing for this guy to place blame towards someone for placing that cart, but to go off on a rant about band and how nerdy they are? My friends at times made fun of me for being in band, but it stopped in HS because I wasn't afraid to be who I am. I played football, basketball and tennis and saw that the two activities can and do coexist. With that being said, somone telling me "Their All Gonna Laugh At You," doesn't make a #### to me..... I wrote to both Dodd and his supervisors/Head of CBS. It's out of my hands, but I basically am done with CBS and that is a power we possess, so who does the laughing then????

Wes P

You only make him stronger with attention you pay him directly or to his bosses. It's twisted, but bosses like to read complaints from readers and viewers. It means you're paying attention and have an emotional reaction. They don't care whether it's negative or not (as long as it doesn't reach redball levels, like when an on-air personality makes a racist remark). Attention = advertising revenue.

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

Actual source unknown, though it's been attributed to dozens of famous people

Edited by Peel Paint

You only make him stronger with attention you pay him directly or to his bosses. It's twisted, but bosses like to read complaints from readers and viewers. It means you're paying attention and have an emotional reaction. They don't care whether it's negative or not (as long as it doesn't reach redball levels, like when an on-air personality makes a racist remark). Attention = advertising revenue.

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

Actual source unknown, though it's been attributed to dozens of famous people

I disagree whole Heartidly.... No Exec of a multi billion dollar company wants to have their Name/company's name trashed by any means necessary icluding offensive poorly written articles... I don't think CBS needs this kind of revenue nor wants it.... Do u think the president is up in his luxury office saying,"Hmmmm I wonder how I can earn more revenue by slandering people and having my columnists write discrimintory, generalized articles?" Hell no, and it's because they have established themselves as a network that is family friendly and warm and cozy to watch/read that they've made a ton o money over the years.... It'd be different if you were talking about "smaller time" networks that have to "shock" everyone to earn money, but CBS doesn't and it is ludicrous to allow it!! Cause you see my point is, if enough people are outraged and have something to say about it then maybe something will be done about it.... If not, then we can alienate CBS and they lose the very same ratings u talk about, it is a two way street. U might as well wrestle the pig 'cause it always has the potential to be cleaned up.......

Wes P

Edited by wesleyrp

Everything happens for a reason and what we do after those life altering incidents defines who we are... Let me tell you a great story brought out by a great reporter in a sports magazine... A young man at Louisville U. has a degenerative spianl condition. He never let that affect him.. Though he cannot walk, he wanted to be in the marching band. His father goes to every Louisville football game and marches in step as his son plays trumpet, if that is a band nerd, then we all should be so lucky!!!!

I've had the honor and pleasure of marching in the band with Patrick Hughes and his dad. They are indeed wonderful people and his dad should seriously get the Father of the Year Award.

Reporters skew things in favor of people all the time. I'm not surprised by this poorly written article.

The axiom everyone should keep in mind for dealing with this guy is "Don't feed the trolls." You will not change his mind. You will not touch his heart. You won't even make him angry. All you will do is make him laugh at you and help him find a new way to drive more hits (and therefore, more ad revenue): attack the stupid band nerds. Want him to stop? Follow your mom's advice and ignore him. CBS doesn't give a flip what you think, no matter how high on a horse you can place yourself--again, it's about hits and ad revenue.

I've had the honor and pleasure of marching in the band with Patrick Hughes and his dad. They are indeed wonderful people and his dad should seriously get the Father of the Year Award.

Reporters skew things in favor of people all the time. I'm not surprised by this poorly written article.

That is flat out amazing, I'd love to meet him and would love to have him come to SA to talk to my band students some day.... Father of the year is selling it short, father of the millinium is appropriate.... I am in awe of that man and his son.... It reminds us what we should be about in this world... God Bless Mr. Hughes and Patrick!!!

Wes P

The axiom everyone should keep in mind for dealing with this guy is "Don't feed the trolls." You will not change his mind. You will not touch his heart. You won't even make him angry. All you will do is make him laugh at you and help him find a new way to drive more hits (and therefore, more ad revenue): attack the stupid band nerds. Want him to stop? Follow your mom's advice and ignore him. CBS doesn't give a flip what you think, no matter how high on a horse you can place yourself--again, it's about hits and ad revenue.

Right so maybe then a petition should be written and word should be spread nation wide that "band nerds" are going to boycott CBS and not read or watch their network. Or if enough word gets out to ahem rival networks that are competing against CBS, maybe they too join in the 'cause... Yes it's unlikely and yes it would have to start locally, but I am that pssionate aboiut it... Look I don't know what you do for a living or any of you that say just drop it, but my job is music education.... I am not going to sit and let some A@#hole and the company he works for get away with cheapening the students/teachers that participate in band, by slandering them.... If that makes it a bottom line then so be it... Just like you say I won't change his mind, u aren't going to change mine.... Again it is a two way street.... If you never fight then you can't expect to win, bottom line!! I don't know about u, but I sure have seen some Networks in the past few years issue apologies when enough of an uproar was caused. It does happen..

Wes P

I've been reading both threads about this guy... and all I can think it that I just simply won't watch sports on CBS anymore.

No matter how hard you try to prove your point, some people are just way too egocentric to ever see your side of things.

Just don't watch CBS sports... and if you are going to write an email to them, simply do it to tell them that you will be using other sports networks to obtain your sporting information due to their obvious support of negative personal profiling.

Don't read his articles to see how obsurd he will be in the next article. Don't watch CBS sports. Don't visit their website.

:doh:

Edited by Patrick_D