Thank You 2009 SCV

While I have followed Vanguard since 1978, the ending is really just Jacksonville State's Marching Southerners's 2006 drill at the end with the company front and then the continuation. But, Southerners ending is better with the continuation and wedge. It is classic corps style and brought down the house. You can hear it on the Southerners web page under media.

I am sure SCV will add onto that and for the SCV/Cadet battle on here I experienced most all the Copland stuff and to each his own. SCV had an impact point at the end that was quite nice.

Why don't you argue who had better Children of Sanchez's in 1979?

Just enjoy what is presented this year.

Old Timer

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot missing for me re: the show. I'm not going to judge it until I get a better view than the WAY TOO HIGH camera from Saturday night, but I didn't think that show was all that. It appeared to be too easy and too simple.

Plenty of time to add elements to the show, but as displayed I wasn't that impressed.

While I have followed Vanguard since 1978, the ending is really just Jacksonville State's Marching Southerners's 2006 drill at the end with the company front and then the continuation. But, Southerners ending is better with the continuation and wedge. It is classic corps style and brought down the house. You can hear it on the Southerners web page under media.

I am sure SCV will add onto that and for the SCV/Cadet battle on here I experienced most all the Copland stuff and to each his own. SCV had an impact point at the end that was quite nice.

Why don't you argue who had better Children of Sanchez's in 1979?

Just enjoy what is presented this year.

Old Timer

I've never used the word "better," just for the record. I'm not sure how much clearer I can be, but I do hope that most can see that's not even remotely what I was getting at.

I love Cadets 87. I was worried that SCV was going to come out with a similar type of arrangement and that it would feel trite to me. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard how different SCV's arrangement sounded, and how true to the original piece it was, which interestingly enough makes it seem fresh rather than trite despite its ubiquity in drum corps reps over the decades. That's all.

:tongue:

Wow. I still don't see what all the excitement is about. Reminding people, this is a marching activity and not a standing activity. First 8:30 it was hard for anyone to get excited.

So, in short...8:30 of sleepwalking followed by a company front.

Yes, I know...they fired that drill writer. How did it get this far is beyond me. Well, I'll see it in San Antonio after some of the rewrites are in.

Wow. I still don't see what all the excitement is about. Reminding people, this is a marching activity and not a standing activity. First 8:30 it was hard for anyone to get excited.

So, in short...8:30 of sleepwalking followed by a company front.

Yes, I know...they fired that drill writer. How did it get this far is beyond me. Well, I'll see it in San Antonio after some of the rewrites are in.

Where in the heck are you getting the information from about Pete being fired and the drill being rewritten? I just talked to someone this morning (a VERY reliable source by the way...) about what has been said on DCP, and was told that Pete Weber is still with SCV with no plans to leave. Also, the drill is not going to be rewritten. A few MINOR things might be added in as with every corps, but there are going to be no major rewrites.

Where in the heck are you getting the information from about Pete being fired and the drill being rewritten? I just talked to someone this morning (a VERY reliable source by the way...) about what has been said on DCP, and was told that Pete Weber is still with SCV with no plans to leave. Also, the drill is not going to be rewritten. A few MINOR things might be added in as with every corps, but there are going to be no major rewrites.

Saw it in another thread.

Saw it in another thread.

Well, it isn't true. Read back in this thread and you will see I am not the only one saying this.

If this is true...no major rewrites. Wow. That's all I have to say is wow.

Please people...go back and watch that first 8:30. It's just not happening visually. Go and compare to the first 8:30 from Eureka. That was some of the finest drill I've seen from these guys. This doesn't compare....not in the same ballpark.

If this is true...no major rewrites. Wow. That's all I have to say is wow.

Please people...go back and watch that first 8:30. It's just not happening visually. Go and compare to the first 8:30 from Eureka. That was some of the finest drill I've seen from these guys. This doesn't compare....not in the same ballpark.

Keep in mind that this show is not really an in-your-face show like the past few have been. This year's show isn't supposed to be like that... I can't think of a word to describe it. I agree with you about not caring for the drill too much, but I believe that it fits wonderfully with the music!