Thank You 2009 SCV

SCV has not taken a step away from "competitive" drum corps at all. This year they are doing an outstanding job at matching visual to audio throughout the entire performance. They will contnue to add and tweek things throughout the summer. It is my guess that by the end of the season this will show will be a masterpiece.

The artist who uses the most paint is not necessarily the best painter.

And the corps with the best show is not necessarily in the Top 6.

There's going to be a lot of WTFSCV? this summer, so if the organization could make some passing comment that "We know it's something different, just chill out" then everyone will let it go. Otherwise we'll get a bunch of WTFSCV? vs. armchair design hearsay.

One quick official statement would quell a lot of discussion and we could focus our attention on more pressing issues like the Blue Stars clarinet. :tongue:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's going to be a lot of WTFSCV? this summer, so if the organization could make some passing comment that "We know it's something different, just chill out" then everyone will let it go. Otherwise we'll get a bunch of WTFSCV? vs. armchair design hearsay.

One quick official statement would quell a lot of discussion and we could focus our attention on more pressing issues like the Blue Stars clarinet. :tongue:

Here's the deal though...this is not different. This is 80s drumcorps. About 7 years I decided to spend my money doing other things because of...well, 80s drum corps.

First year I tried it back was 1991 and it was an ok year. Then I get to go check out two early shows in 1993...I was hooked again. Seriously hooked. Have been ever since. Yeah, it was he 1980s about 7 years in there where I had no time to watch company front after company front after disappearing company front...it was just too stock for me. And now, it's back. And I'm really trying to like it. I mean I thought Eureka was one of the best visually designed shows I had seen from SCV in a long time. And now...this.

OK...I'm going to think on it some more and watch it again tomorrow. Maybe I'll start to see what others are getting so jazzed up about. Is it just the music? We'll see.

Here's the deal though...this is not different. This is 80s drumcorps. About 7 years I decided to spend my money doing other things because of...well, 80s drum corps.

First year I tried it back was 1991 and it was an ok year. Then I get to go check out two early shows in 1993...I was hooked again. Seriously hooked. Have been ever since. Yeah, it was he 1980s about 7 years in there where I had no time to watch company front after company front after disappearing company front...it was just too stock for me. And now, it's back. And I'm really trying to like it. I mean I thought Eureka was one of the best visually designed shows I had seen from SCV in a long time. And now...this.

OK...I'm going to think on it some more and watch it again tomorrow. Maybe I'll start to see what others are getting so jazzed up about. Is it just the music? We'll see.

What a bunch of hooey that is. As one who lived in and grew up on 80s drum corps I'd love to believe we played as well and moved as well. We did not and it isn't close. I can't imagine what you think the relevance of your distaste for 80s drum corps has to do with anything in 2009.

Edited by jwscv87

Ha! The first time I saw that part of the video I laughed out loud and thought "Whoa, that can't be a coincidence".

Compare 2009 at 4:15 to 1983 at 10:00. If the 2009 corps adds the "surfer" visual we'll know it's an homage.

Incidentally, I was fifth from the end of the "arm" of the spiral in 1983, and those of us in that part of the drill were constantly moaning about how much we were hauling ###. Now it looks thoroughly unremarkable.

Not unremarkable at all. That visual, no matter how "old school" it is, is still one of my favorite DCI moments. It looks like there's time to throw something visually in there at that moment... and I hope it is the "surfer"

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you'll never really like this SCV show. :tongue:

But a little more seriously, you're right, it's not the same kind of visual program they've been doing for the past couple of years. On the other hand, the music is a lot better than it has been lately for them, IMO...and I'm one of those people who was VERY against SCV choosing Appalachian Spring this year.

I don't look at their creative choices this year as going back to the 80s like the "best of" thing they did in 2005. I see it as exploring what can really be done with a single piece of good music in some new wways.

The SCV organization "passing comment" is what you see and hear on the field. The show (as does every show) speaks for itself.

That's not a bad thing, but SCV needs to officially state that they are doing this deliberately. If they're going to take such a drastic step away from "competitive" drum corps, then SAY IT so we can all drop the subject and enjoy/discard the show based on our personal tastes. Don't try and throw out arguments after the fact about the design, be out and proud that the show is designed this way.

Do you really expect them to publicly state that they're not interested in being competitive? That's not ever going to happen. (And it would be foolish for any corps to make such a statement.)

There's a lot of talent and experience on that staff. They know what they're doing. I can say, pretty confidently, that the SCV organization is very happy with where they are and what they're doing and I don't think they feel the need to justify it to anyone.

another moment in the show I really liked was at 5:22. They were standing still and its short-lived but it was such a great spot for a hit. Up until that point there hadn't been really any big impact yet and so this was like the first big moment....I think. Idk, I'm a HUGE scv fan and I'm still trying to understand this show too. It isn't very exciting visually but then after watching the show everytime I can't help but sit back and smile about how much i liked it. I think its kinda just a slow show or maybe rather than a lot of shows that just smash you in the face for 12 minutes, this one is making you take something out of it instead idk......all though I must say. YEAH BASSES!!! at 8:12. Haha idk, i don't want to get too philisophical hehe

Do you really expect them to publicly state that they're not interested in being competitive? That's not ever going to happen. (And it would be foolish for any corps to make such a statement.)

There's a lot of talent and experience on that staff. They know what they're doing. I can say, pretty confidently, that the SCV organization is very happy with where they are and what they're doing and I don't think they feel the need to justify it to anyone.

I love what they've done and I know they believe in their show. Absolutely no need to justify anything to anyone. I hope they change absolutely NOTHING!