Thank You 2009 SCV

Was anyone "wowed" by Phantom Regiment's drill last year? Or was it just the perfect drill for that show?

a fitting drill that can be cleaned,

This is not about SCV at all...

I wasn't wowed at all, not saying it was bad though, just nothing that wowed me. Still shouldn't of tied Cavies in GE Visual, heck, shouldn't of beat Crown in that caption. Unless you count "drama" which Regiment created in spades.

Oh... And the opener was anything but clean, it was kicking their tails.

Lastly, no... I'm no Blue Devil Homer.

Edited by CloudHype

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This show is something else. I don't think we've seen something like this in quite some time.

I could feel the magic seeing the full standing ovation the corps got during the middle of the show (when does that happen nowadays?) just from watching the video on the Fan Network sitting at a table upstairs at Così.

Can't wait to see it live.

Kieren, I don't think you're starting a flame war, and really, this is all about taste. I'm not talking in any way about how much or how little of the original piece each corps plays, I'm talking about faithfulness of what they play to the original.

I love that Cadets show. It doesn't sound much like the original to me, mostly because the arrangement doesn't reflect the original orchestration, though it works really well for the field. The whole intro to the Cadets show isn't even part of the original. It's a nice take on its themes, though. The Cadets version does a lot of jumping around with octaves in the middle of phrases in the melodic line that SCV avoids (I'm really thankful for that). It's nice to hear several minutes where the melodic lines that bounce between string choir voices in the original are reflected in the way the brass choir voices bounce it off each other in this SCV arrangement. The Cadets added a lot of frills and corny stuff that worked for the show, but had nothing to do with the original.

Interestingly, I find a lot of the same to be true of The Cadets' older version of Short Ride in a Fast Machine and SCV's newer version. I'm not saying one is better than the other on the field, I'm just saying I can listen to both versions and hear a clear difference in which one actually sounds like the original.

Interestingly enough, there was a DCI "short" on Cadets 1987 version of this music. I think it was Charles Webb who complimented the arrangement and remarked about how true the orchestrations were to the original given the differences of the drum corps idiom to the original. I hope we're not advocating for completely true version of songs. That would be silly as the originals were never meant to be heard on a football field.

Corrected person who was in the short.

Edited by jjeffeory

You are not going to like it for long.

SCV is using the synthesizer as a surrogate bass voice throughout the show, an octave below the tuba range. Judging from your comments on Spirit, I suspect you'll find this equally disappointing.

You would not have noticed this on the Fan Network video because the video mics up at the top of the bleachers didn't really capture that sound. The APDs, however, were recorded with separate field audio mics, and will give a much better perspective on those sounds when they become available tomorrow.

balls....

I hope we're not advocating for completely true version of songs.

Not even close, and I don't understand how anybody could get that impression from anything I've said. I'm simply commenting that this is the closest I've heard to the original on the field, and that I like it. Goodness. :tongue:

I actually starting cheering in my bedroom when they hit the company front in the closer!! :tongue: i had major chills going on. I love this show already.

I actually starting cheering in my bedroom when they hit the company front in the closer!! :tongue: i had major chills going on. I love this show already.

LOL I did the same thing! Couldn't help it. It just came out!

This is not about SCV at all...

I wasn't wowed at all, not saying it was bad though, just nothing that wowed me. Still shouldn't of tied Cavies in GE Visual, heck, shouldn't of beat Crown in that caption. Unless you count "drama" which Regiment created in spades.

Oh... And the opener was anything but clean, it was kicking their tails.

Lastly, no... I'm no Blue Devil Homer.

considering that the DCI webpage lists "emotional impact" as something within the purview of the Visual Effect judge, I think that drama is included, hence PR's achievement in the sheets. Without having seen SCV this year, is it possible that they can generate emotional impact visually without having the hardest drill? Sure, I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Judging caption descriptions - http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=0...f6-16153f504051

I had major goosebumps/chills as well. What a crowd response for the first show of the year.

I got chills for a good hot minute. After I woke up on minute 7:00. I love how the show is so classy but it also feels like I've heard it a million times before.