Thank You 2009 SCV

I had a brief conversation with Key today and he explained that the show is not meant to be an in your face show, rather a true representation of the original music.

Gee, imagine that.

I'd say that puts them in the "vanguard" of the activity. Let's hope it starts a trend away from all these d*mned ADHD shows.

Edited by hughesmr

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope it starts a trend away from all these d*mned ADHD shows.

Amen! Each corps is learning little by little that the WGI show format might not work in DCI. Music-wise anyway. GE-wise, it's all WGI and has been for several years.

I'm glad SCV's show is already seen as unique, not just from Cadets '87 (whom had a perfect drum score, so there), but from their previous shows. I wish them luck in their offering this season.

Gee, imagine that.

I'd say that puts them in the "vanguard" of the activity. Let's hope it starts a trend away from all these d*mned ADHD shows.

Exactly. Just because our society has become filled with over-stimulated, short attention-spanned people doesn't mean all of us are like that. Drum corps should be first and foremost about the music. This is beautiful music. Try, just try, to LISTEN to it. And then appreciate the way SCV 2009 chooses to frame the music with their beautiful, classy drill and color guard. Do we always have to have in your face noise and fast paced movement? I'm sick of it. SCV has been constantly criticized for over-writing and over-complicating their drill. Now they are doing something beautiful, smooth and flowing and are being criticized for that. Thank god for no stupid antics and gratituous filler from SCV. I love this show.

Edited by Moe712002

Huge goosebumps from the company front. Crowd response on that vid at Walnut was nutz for a first show... So much potential... Give it time people. That hornline can PLAY though... SHEEESH!

I think my feelings have changed after viewing this several times. Still not sold on the drill, but the music is definitely growing on me. As I told my friend, if the judging community can attach to this show it has great upside! Part of me feels like this could be 92 Star or 80 SCV, just way before its time.

I guess when I first watched this I was expecting the "formatted" drum corps show, which this doesn't have much of. But like I said, after viewing it several times I can see and appreciate where Key is coming from with the music. This could easily be his best arrangement by seasons end. I like that they are getting out of the check marks that every show needs to have in todays DCI.

I can be the first to admit I was harsh on the show, but I think this will grow on me (and most others) a lot as the season goes! Keep up the great work Vanguard!

Exactly. Just because our society has become filled with over-stimulated, short attention-spanned people doesn't mean all of us are like that. Drum corps should be first and foremost about the music. This is beautiful music. Try, just try, to LISTEN to it. And then appreciate the way SCV 2009 chooses to frame the music with their beautiful, classy drill and color guard. Do we always have to have in your face noise and fast paced movement? I'm sick of it. SCV has been constantly criticized for over-writing and over-complicating their drill. Now they are doing something beautiful, smooth and flowing and are being criticized for that. Thank god for no stupid antics and gratituous filler from SCV. I love this show.

"Just because our society has become filled with over-stimulated, short attention-spanned people doesn't mean all of us are like that" GREAT STATEMENT!

"Thank god for no stupid antics and gratituous filler from SCV. I love this show" :sad:

I agree. Their show this year is treated as if it was controversial..."Spring" is a finesse show designed to pay tribute to Copland and Graham. The judges will credit the staff for their interpretation. Execution is the key. The drill is fine..it flows and fills the field nicely however it has to be performed flawlessly by August.

not just from Cadets '87 (whom had a perfect drum score, so there)

Betcha I could find an error. :sad:

Garry in Vegas

Not top 8? They are easily top 7 with or without drill rewrites. The chances of getting caught by any of the corps that finished behind them given the quality of that performance are very, very slim IMHO. The problem is that the corps that finished ahead of them continue to be amazing. I downloaded the Bluecoats show from On Demand and they sure sound like they are not faltering. If anything they sound even stronger then last year. So... SCV could be much improved, and they are IMO, and still finish 7th.

As far as the comparisons to 87 go, it is a non-issue for me. SCV has had several great moments with that material already. This performance will stand on its own.

Finally got to see the show LIVE tonight!

It was great and very emotional. The drill is fine. SCV makes this music their own, but I would like to see how it progresses over the season. I do love '87 Garfield.

This topic was hijacked by ignorance. If SCV has a staff announcement, they'll announce it on their website and there' no need for another Bob Woodward or Carl Bernstein. I'm always skeptical of "I heard (insert something absolutely crazy here)" statements.

Let me first say that I'm a total SCV homer. I love everything about Vanguard and always root for them.

As for Vanguard's show, I think it's mesmerizing, an absolutely amazing drum corps show. The music is true in not only arrangement, but intent of the originator. It seems as if it's been forever since a corps has played a show that did not sound more like a series of highlights. The performers also come from the heart with soul and feeling. The most recognizable melody is rooted in a tune titled "Simple Gifts". Does the message get any clearer?

I don't know how the season will play out, but I will say that SCV's main melody will be the most commonly hummed, whistled, and sung piece as people leave the stadium. 2009 will be remembered as the year of "Oh, that's when Vanguard played Appalachian Spring". I'm also ecstatic this piece came back home.