Thank You 2009 SCV

It is only two shows into the season. Can we give them a break and let them fill in everything before we say they don't know what they are doing. By the way, they do know what they are doing.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yes, they do.

Right.

Because Vanguard has NEVER turned out a show that could be labeled "mild clunker."

*cough cough 1993, 2005 cough cough*

(in all seriousness, I hope they do have some sort of soooper seeekrit plan to wow us all, but lets not pretend that corps staffs are infallible and always know how to put on a great show. i mean, yeah, they know more than you or I know, but they are still not perfect)

as for staying true to the spirit of Martha Graham, my girlfriend is a dance major (master's student...yeah yeah yeah, go ahead, make the joke about advanced degrees in dance, she hears them all the time), and this is her quote (she was with me at the Walnut show, and we've both watched it on FanCast):

"That was not Martha Graham. It's more like Jane Dudley or Pearl Eaton."

I have no idea what that means, but from her tone of voice it doesn't sound good. :-P

Not knowing a darn thing about the world of dance, I'll defer to her on how Martha Grahamesque something is from now on.

isn't it obvious that SCV has lots of things to fill in so they are not just standing around. Some corps would make drill changes but I suspect Vanguard will add more characterisation to Martha Graham's style and make their show even more of a total package.

Sometimes less is more and the beauty is found in the simplicity rather than the complex or abstract.

You guys need to give them a break and respect the fact that they will have planned the season well, will know exactly what they are doing and are probably delighted by the debate taking place.

Like many of their past season successes, whilst all the other corps' go left, SCV is choosing to go right - good for them, not every corps needs to run around the field playing 6,000 notes.

I am very glad to see SCV plowing a different furrow this year, and cant wait to see how the show develops.

It is only two shows into the season. Can we give them a break and let them fill in everything before we say they don't know what they are doing. By the way, they do know what they are doing.

I have not yet said they don't know what they are doing. This wasn't mish mashed together. This was calculated. Ok. Yeah. Still, I'm not enthused.

Not confused about it.

Not enthused about it.

Sometimes a corps selects a show because they want to perform it. I think that's great and is clearly their choice.

I can hope this show will grow on me (not like that stuff is growing on Crown's uniforms, though...nasty) but at this point given all that has been said, it seems unlikely the show will change very much.

So, ok. I will see it in the heat of Arizona tomorrow night and will determine if a live performance helps my understanding. Because, to me...it's not an artist's fault in the creation. It's my understanding that needs illumination. Some things, like drum corps, evidently, are far too subtle for me to understand completely. Ok, that last remark was a tad bit sarcastic.

Right.

Because Vanguard has NEVER turned out a show that could be labeled "mild clunker."

(in all seriousness, I hope they do have some sort of soooper seeekrit plan to wow us all, but lets not pretend that corps staffs are infallible and always know how to put on a great show. i mean, yeah, they know more than you or I know, but they are still not perfect)

as for staying true to the spirit of Martha Graham, my girlfriend is a dance major (master's student...yeah yeah yeah, go ahead, make the joke about advanced degrees in dance, she hears them all the time), and this is her quote (she was with me at the Walnut show, and we've both watched it on FanCast):

I have no idea what that means, but from her tone of voice it doesn't sound good. :-P

Not knowing a darn thing about the world of dance, I'll defer to her on how Martha Grahamesque something is from now on.

Oh yeah...and what year did SCV do "Not the Nutcracker?" Yeah...not a great offering that time around.

Wow! Just Wow! I've been following this thread and I was going to stay out of it because it's obvious that some people (a good number of whom have only seen the video of SCV's show will simply not like this show and there's nothing wrong with that and there's nothing to be said to them about their feelings).

That being said, to paraphrase the classic video clip on YouTube: "Leave SCV alone! Leave it alone!"

Honestly, until a show has been witnessed in person, one cannot truly judge any show -- especially one which is "subtle" and "nuanced" to some ("boring" and "80s") to others. And if after seeing it live you still hate it, then fine. Move on. But, I would hope you find something else to do rather than gripe about how much you hate the show (after watching it at DCI.org some 20 times just to make sure you really understand why you hate it). If you don't like it, then don't watch it. There are a lot of other shows out there to watch and enjoy!

Wow! Just Wow! I've been following this thread and I was going to stay out of it because it's obvious that some people (a good number of whom have only seen the video of SCV's show will simply not like this show and there's nothing wrong with that and there's nothing to be said to them about their feelings).

That being said, to paraphrase the classic video clip on YouTube: "Leave SCV alone! Leave it alone!"

Honestly, until a show has been witnessed in person, one cannot truly judge any show -- especially one which is "subtle" and "nuanced" to some ("boring" and "80s") to others. And if after seeing it live you still hate it, then fine. Move on. But, I would hope you find something else to do rather than gripe about how much you hate the show (after watching it at DCI.org some 20 times just to make sure you really understand why you hate it). If you don't like it, then don't watch it. There are a lot of other shows out there to watch and enjoy!

You're right...time will tell. After all, I hated (HATED) the 2007 Phantom show, but by the end of the year, it was one of my favorites.

Not one more word from me until one month from today, when we can all have a little better prespective on what SCV has up their sleeves.

So I hope you're not saying just because someone doesn't like a show, they must simply move on are you? Because, that can't possibly be your intent...on a discussion forum...where people discuss things....like their likes....and dislikes....you know...like DCP.

Next.

Right.

Sheesh. I was simply referring to the fact that the staff knows what they are doing. This year. Were we talking about any other year?

I guess we could turn this into a my girlfriend is better than yours debate (though I happen to like mine better - hah!) but she's also a dance major (masters) and commented on the construction of the whole show as being very Martha Graham, not necessarily choreography. If you read the post you replied to, I'm referring to the macro-concepts that drive the show. Even so, my company said there were moments of direct transcription from the ballet. I'm not familiar with specifics of the ballet, but she is.

Interesting how good, artistic minds, differ, eh?