Sioux Empire Spectacular Spectacular!

That's an unusually big jump from the previous night.. wow?

Any new addition to their show?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I copied this from my "Review" thread....

Colt Cadets: Have a solid start to a show. They have a complete show fielded at this point which is very good for them. I enjoyed their music selections, particularly the them from Pee Wee Herman (Danny Elfman)

Pioneer: Stock Pio show in terms of music. Mostly original stuff. I was entertained throughout. I thought transitions were a bit rough for them. I'll be surprised if they finish last this season.

Spirit: Hornline was kickin it tonight. I wish I could have had more. There were many spots where they could be playing but nothing was written for them. They use electronics heavily. The players did a great job but I DO NOT like the use of electronics. They had some voice things similar to last years Bluecoats. I thought it was unnecessary. The beginning of the show was a bit awkward. All in all I thought I was a stock BOA show, no joke, uniforms and all. When I heard the electronics I didn't think they were that great and when you couldn't heard them, aka "supporting" the sound then I thought they were pointless.

Madison: This was a fun show to watch. The colorguard has you keeping an eye on them the whole time. The hornline is very POWerful. Drill was okay, sloppy as can be expected. Limited use of electronics, again not really necessary from my viewpoint. Guard did have a lot of drops.

Blue Stars: Came out with authority. Their hornline is amazing all around. Great control. Guard was very emotional and captivating. Too many costume changes to keep track of. I'm not sure I like the staging of their props. I see why they have them, but they really limit themselves on drill later in the show and thus things become very cluttered. Used electronics quite a bit for sound effects but didn't really do much for me.

Phantom: Very good show. Percussion is like a rock as always. Guard was pretty on top of it (tons of costume changes) Hornline was sounding pretty good but I wasn't getting a great vibe from them. I'm interested to hear what members have to say about the new Jupiter horns. There is a jam session in the middle of the show where everyone can let loose. Didn't quite seem like Phantom but they pull it off well. The horn book is littered with runs and will likely be #### clean by the end of the season or hosed down like no other. (Who needs WW in corps anyway... tongue.gif ) Phantom has a long ways to go to stay on top this season. I wouldn't count them out of a top 3 finish.

Blue Stars did the encore: Last half of their show. Also did their infamous Rhapsody in Blue with their Clarinet. The piece sounded excellent....but its a WW and I'm not a fan of that in drum corps.

holy inflated score batman

holy inflated score batman

Oh, man! Just as the West Coast/East Coast Inflation debate starts for 2009, you're gonna throw in Midwest Inflation?

:smile:

Garry in Vegas

Thanks for the review, hrnguy500. Nice job. Any estimate or comments on crowd size?

Alas crowd size was down from previous years. I heard people were holding out due to weather concerns. This show was rained out a few years ago and people had a cow about "no refunds". (Midwesterners for you). The show has been going since 2002 and I remember the first year or two the stands were packed to the edges, stands run from about the 10 to the 10. This year we could have fit everyone in between the 30 and 30.

On another note there were about a dozen kids from the Sioux Falls area that were marching in the corps that performed. I think it was a nice 'home show' for those kids.

Phantom had 3 days since their last show. Whatever they were doing in practice worked. A 4.2 point jump!