List of corps not using electronic instruments

what a co-inky-dink.....

Not really. By using amplified pit, the audience and judges could then hear and enjoy the pit percussion in balance with PR's very loud brass and battery percussion.

Having speakers sitting on the field isn't a competitive requirement. Maximizing your musical performance, through whatever means is available is.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. By using amplified pit, the audience and judges could then hear and enjoy the pit percussion in balance with PR's very loud brass and battery percussion.

Having speakers sitting on the field isn't a competitive requirement. Maximizing your musical performance, through whatever means is available is.

except that a majority of shows have the judge on the field, and amps shouldnt make a difference at field level when it comes to judging

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

What occurs to me is that the people boycotting just might return (and bring their dollars) if DCI were to reverse their position on turning drum corps into not-drum corps. I doubt people would start boycotting if DCI did away with amps, narration and electronics.

"Oh, they don't have synths? I'm not going!" Not likely, but we do know that people ARE staying away because of the presence of all of the above.

So, where's the money? In an audience and fan base that includes everybody, or one that caters to the young?

Garry in Vegas

Unfortunately, there may be more fans to gain by including electronics, than there are fans to re-claim by reversing the rule and making the illegal. Not all us dinosaurs are so ready to jump ship just yet.

Fair question. It's because I always thought of the Troop as a bastion of tradition. To see them jump on the gizmo bandwagon is a bit of a let-down. My presence or lack thereof at shows doesn't change that.

I would put Madison in that same category.

What occurs to me is that the people boycotting just might return (and bring their dollars) if DCI were to reverse their position on turning drum corps into not-drum corps. I doubt people would start boycotting if DCI did away with amps, narration and electronics.

"Oh, they don't have synths? I'm not going!" Not likely, but we do know that people ARE staying away because of the presence of all of the above.

So, where's the money? In an audience and fan base that includes everybody, or one that caters to the young?

Garry in Vegas

This boycott you speak of...is the the 3600 that signed the petition? More? Less? Let's try to capture a number here. And one that doesn't include...attendance in 1988 was X and attendance in 2008 was Y, so therefore X-Y=Boycott. It's not that simple.

I'd be interested in getting some help in quantifying this boycott so then we can attempt to ascertain its affect on attendance, $$$$, etc.

"Oh, they don't have synths? I'm not going!"

Garry in Vegas

The proposals to allow these things seemed to imply that teenagers in Texas indeed take that position.

Electronics Proposal

Yeah I know. I was being sarcastic. Thanks though.....

So the judges rewarded the use of amps by PR, but amps are not a competetive requirement. Have I got that right? Because I'm just a tad confused by the concept.

Unfortunately, there may be more fans to gain by including electronics, than there are fans to re-claim by reversing the rule and making the illegal.

OK - with everyone asking for evidence, where's your evidence for that statement?

I would put Madison in that same category.

Fully agreed. I already put SCV there too (to my immediate discomfort - remember that thread?)

The proposals to allow these things seemed to imply that teenagers in Texas indeed take that position.

Electronics Proposal

Ahhh !! It's been awhile since we've heard about the "Texas band kids." The salvation of DCI.