2009 Rankings

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Place - Score Corps (Last Show, Date) +- Score Change (Previous show, date)

Open Class:

1 - 84.363 Buccaneers (Lewisburg, PA 7/18)) +2.750 (Wayne, NJ 7/11)

2 - 83.463 Renegades (Dublin, CA 7/19) +0.775 (San Jose, CA 7/18))

3 - 82.850 Empire Statesmen (Jamestown, NY 7/25) +2.662 (Lawrence, MA 7/18)

4 - 82.663 Hurricanes (Lawrence, MA 7/18) +2.888 Wayne, NJ 7/11)

5 - 82.313 Caballeros (Lawrence, MA 7/18) +5.738 (Wayne, NJ 7/11)

6 - 78.288 Brigadiers (Jamestown, NY 7/25) +2.500 (Lewisburg, PA 7/18)

7 - 77.375 Minnesota Brass (Mankato, MN 6/22) +4.250 (Stillwater, MN 6/20)

8 - 72.688 CorpsVets (Atlanta, GA 7/25) -3.525 (Lewisburg, PA 7/18)

9 - 72.413 Bushwackers (Lewisburg, PA 7/18) +0.063 (Wayne, NJ 7/11)

10- 71.538 Alliance (Atlanta, GA 7/25) +3.763 (Columbia, SC 7/9)

11- 70.375 Kilties (Madison, WI 6/28)

12- 69.400 Crusaders (Jamestown, NY 7/25) +3.037 (Lawrence, MA 7/18)

13- 66.075 Music City Legend (Murfreesboro, TN 7/24)

Class A:

*1- 71.138 SoCal Dream (Dublin, CA 7/19) +1.788 (San Jose, CA 7/18)*

2 - 67.013 Grenadiers (Lawrence, MA 7/18) +3.638 (Rochester, NY 7/4)

3 - 66.750 Fusion Core (Auburn, NY 7/11)

4 - 65.500 Govenaires (Mankato, MN 6/22) +1.750 (Stillwater, MN 6/20)

*5- 63.175 Kingsmen Sr (Dublin, CA 7/19) -0.575 (San Jose, CA 7/18)*

6 - 61.000 White Sabers (Jamestown, NY 7/25) +0.750 (Auburn, NY 7/11)

7 - 58.650(1.0) Carolina Gold (Wildwood, NJ 06/20)

8 - 55.713 Sun Devils (Valdosta, GA 7/10)

9 - 50.000 Excelsior (Jamestown, NU 7/25) -2.900 (Auburn, NY 7/11)

10- 49.375 Shenandoah Sound (Auburn, NY 7/11)

11 - Vigilantes

11 - Lakeshoremen

11 - Sunrisers

* - Not coming to championships

88? 89? one or the other - probably 88... and it was HOT indeed... I also remember driving to the stadium through neighborhoods that were well? NOT the best... as a matter of fact, felt more uncomfortable there than any time in Harlem... they had us park in the stadium by the goal post - said they had to do that or we wouldn't have a car at the end of the show... and I had a van full of judges to protect me... Ah yes, Bob Thomas riding shotgun... anyone challenged us, he would tell another joke and they'd die laughing... that was a most unusual weekend... but the drive was exceptional... I think my wife (who was tabulator) cracked a rib laughing...

88 was Steel City Ambassadors in a Chicago show (Vanguard Senior) sponsored.....

89 was Westshoremen and Steel City in Chicago Sat. night and Dayton sunday (daytime show)

88 was the HOT year,nationwide!

89 Chicago show was poorly attended. Matter of fact the soccer fields next to the show had a better attendance.Dayton was just plain HOT in Welcome stadium on that turf!!

yer right Bear...i forgot about how hot it was on that turf on Sunday

Wanted to answer a couple of questions raised earlier in the thread...

1. All Age Corps in CA are judged on DCA sheets - have been for years. We have excellent judges out here, and they understand the sheets pretty well.

2. DCI judges are capable of judging on DCA sheets. There is a very clear rubric on the back of the sheets, and our judges are totally able to handle it.

3. DCA scores are not included on DCI recaps because the numbers don't work. There are a different number of judges and DCA scores have mathematical computations performed on them. This is what I have been told, sorry if I am wrong.

4. Like every corps in the circuit, Renegades pay their own way to Championships. In the past, we have gotten assistance from show promoters in DeKalb and Winston Salem, for which we are eternally grateful.

5. It doesn't really matter until all the corps are together - at the same show.

The only reason the NE has been dominant all these years is that senior corps died in the late 50's in all areas other than the Northeast. Skokie died... Harvey Seeds died... Edison Lamplighters died and many more... I don't even know why, but I suspect it was because of the large geographical travel problems once it became impractical to travel by train... Yet in the Northeast, as the expressways grew and even before, travel to shows with 5 to 10 very competitive corps was quite possible... via that notorious overnight Drive on Friday Nights... and we did that with NO bathrooms on the buses...

So true (as usual) Tom!

When the "great" Sr. Corps of the Midwest started to die out (and, yes....Travel/$$$ was a big key) a lot of the members decided to "pass the torch" on to the Junior circuit. Just look at how many Midwest Jr. Corps took root and blossomed in the 60's. Marching members of Skokie....Harvey....Edison went on to mentor, teach and grow the ever increasing number of Junior corps......And they made their mark! (As a kid I was very spoiled.... I loved going to the Illinois VFW/AL State Championships.....Mini-Nats in my own back yard!)

Travel has and always will be a problem for "This Thing of Ours".

Just how many Midwest and Eastern corps "broke their bones" trying to be like the Troopers? There are a few corps who can lay the beginning of their demise on trying to "expand the activity" in such endeavors as DATR etc.

Yes....It is all an East Coast conspiracy....And it has been so since the first time the Boys of 76 had to travel East. Don't believe me? Just ask my Grandfather and father! (I've heard this argument since I was born!)

Sure....I would love to see "parity" in travel.....But it ain't gonna happen folks....

This activity has its roots in two key things...."Bragging rights" and money. Deal with it or go play somewhere else.

Do you know how weird it was having a drill instructor (Twice! Guardsmen and Royal Airs) that was your fathers Drum Major?

Edited by sailor

The only reason the NE has been dominant all these years is that senior corps died in the late 50's in all areas other than the Northeast. Skokie died... Harvey Seeds died... Edison Lamplighters died and many more... I don't even know why, but I suspect it was because of the large geographical travel problems once it became impractical to travel by train... Yet in the Northeast, as the expressways grew and even before, travel to shows with 5 to 10 very competitive corps was quite possible... via that notorious overnight Drive on Friday Nights... and we did that with NO bathrooms on the buses...

So true (as usual) Tom!

When the "great" Sr. Corps of the Midwest started to die out (and, yes....Travel/$$$ was a big key) a lot of the members decided to "pass the torch" on to the Junior circuit. Just look at how many Midwest Jr. Corps took root and blossomed in the 60's. Marching members of Skokie....Harvey....Edison went on to mentor, teach and grow the ever increasing number of Junior corps......And they made their mark! (As a kid I was very spoiled.... I loved going to the Illinois VFW/AL State Championships.....Mini-Nats in my own back yard!)

Travel has and always will be a problem for "This Thing of Ours".

Just how many Midwest and Eastern corps "broke their bones" trying to be like the Troopers? There are a few corps who can lay the beginning of their demise on trying to "expand the activity" in such endeavors as DATR etc.

Yes....It is all an East Coast conspiracy....And it has been so since the first time the Boys of 76 had to travel East. Don't believe me? Just ask my Grandfather and father! (I've heard this argument since I was born!)

Sure....I would love to see "parity" in travel.....But it ain't gonna happen folks....

This activity has its roots in two key things...."Bragging rights" and money. Deal with it or go play somewhere else.

Do you know how weird it was having a drill instructor (Twice! Guardsmen and Royal Airs) that was your fathers Drum Major?

I love my Skirtboy!! I'll take that to my grave!!

You need to reread your post. Hell, reread your very first sentence.

Keep in mind that Drum Corps was handled by folks that cared enough to share the information. It just so happened that most of those caring folks were located on the East Coast. See what I'm saying?

I love my Skirtboy!! I'll take that to my grave!!

You need to reread your post. Hell, reread your very first sentence.

Keep in mind that Drum Corps was handled by folks that cared enough to share the information. It just so happened that most of those caring folks were located on the East Coast. See what I'm saying?

"Skirtboy" ! That's rich!!! :thumbdown: