Bus Stories

I may have mentioned this in the past .....

Back in 1973 we were traveling from Marion to Butler and we weren't stopping for a potty break. The bus driver said, "stick it out the window!" So a guy opened up the back door (school bus) while another held his belt and then all the guys started peeing out the back door at night. Funny thing was, one of our fathers was driving with another older member and they thought it was raining.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone mind if I tell a Sr bus story??

Back to the Jr range (or KINDA Jr)...in 86 when I was in Dagenham Crusaders (this is the kinds jr part, since there were over DCI-age members in a lot of the UK corps that year -- myself included -- as a way of bolstering member numbers), we occasionally used a double-decker bus to go to shows.

Of course, the place to be was the back of the top deck. My status as a BD alum AND a current Dag performing member got me instant access to that part of the bus (we had 2 other BD alums in the corps, BD's #1 bass from 83 and a sop from 85 -- both Brits -- but they were on staff)...that and the fact that I was the foriegner, I think!

I don't remember the show, but one tiem I DO remember basically holding court and telling stories from my 84 season...plus someone had a recording of La Fiesta and I was obliged to sing my parts along with it!

Edited by 84BDsop

In '78 or '79 we were driving through the rockies and stopped at a place which served blueberry pie. Lots of us ate the pie, but one person could not keep it down once we were back on the wind-y mountain roads. They puked it right into a zip lock bag, which was promptly passed to the front of the bus for disposal. The people in the front sent it right back, where it promptly went out the back window. Not sure who was behind us or what they thought when a purple bomb exploded on the roadway in front of them.

1984 - Bridgemen's "Animal Bus" - driver sees a foot sticking out the little opening in the back of the bus that corresponds to the lavatory, and pulls over to see who's screwing around. When I turn back (we didn't have money for a staff vehicle, in fact most nights the staff drove vehicles) I see an awful lot of empty seats. Someone bangs on the lav door and with a great roar the door opens and out comes not 1, not 2, not 3 or even 4, but 11 Bridgemen who had stuffed themselves in the lav.

We weren't eating much that year. If you don't believe it, query Jeromey Bush who I believe was on the bus (and perhaps even in the john) that day. As most of the zany madcap antics from that year, this was instigated by Frank "Perdue" Petrick, may he rest in peace and joy one of the all time greatest participants in this greatest of all activities.

1984 - Bridgemen's "Animal Bus" - driver sees a foot sticking out the little opening in the back of the bus that corresponds to the lavatory, and pulls over to see who's screwing around. When I turn back (we didn't have money for a staff vehicle, in fact most nights the staff drove vehicles) I see an awful lot of empty seats. Someone bangs on the lav door and with a great roar the door opens and out comes not 1, not 2, not 3 or even 4, but 11 Bridgemen who had stuffed themselves in the lav.

We weren't eating much that year. If you don't believe it, query Jeromey Bush who I believe was on the bus (and perhaps even in the john) that day. As most of the zany madcap antics from that year, this was instigated by Frank "Perdue" Petrick, may he rest in peace and joy one of the all time greatest participants in this greatest of all activities.

Ray, you should have mentioned the K-turn on the highway that year when our bus driver entered on the off ramp. now that was bus trip to remember.

And wasn't it the Radical bus for us horn player's?

Edited by Drack1cba

Ray, you should have mentioned the K-turn on the highway that year when our bus driver entered on the off ramp. now that was bus trip to remember.

LMAO, reminded my of my last bus trip with a corps (or so I thought at the time :worthy: ) in 1979.

Westshoremen leave Friday night at 1AM after practice to go to Corning, NY (man just there as part of my vacation :worthy: ). I'm behind the lead bus driver and as we enter town to hit breakfast at Chez Arches (aka McDonalds) I hear "Holy #### I'm on the wrong side (of the road)" and he floors it. Of course the other two buses are following him on the wrong side of the main drag in town. :worthy: Godd thing no one else is on the road at 6:30AM so we get to McDs without incident. After we eat I see all three drivers pointing at the road and agreeing that construction screwed up the lead driver and "No crashes, no problems" :worthy: .

We do the show and head back to the same McDs for a meal. Sure as Hades we hit the same spot and I hear "Oh ####!!!! I did it again!!!!". Not much traffic after midnight but still three buses going the wrong way down the main street of Corning at full throttle. :worthy:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

And wasn't it the Radical bus for us horn player's?

Drack - I knew I had it wrong... Radical bus it was!!! The K turn was on the Pelham PKWY - the guy wasn't supposed to be on that road with it's low bridges, plus it doesn't go to Boston where we were headed (first show of the year).

Another great one was the bus crew taking all three buses on the wrong side of an interstate in Indiana and continuing for 12 miles to the nearest exit going North in the Southbound lane at 2am - fortunately not even deer are up at 2 am in Indiana. I was driving the souvie van (on the correct side of the road) trying to drive ahead to warn off oncoming vehicles (there were a couple) The suspension in that van was completely shot and trying to drive 80 mph was like riding the Cyclone at Coney Island. A long night in the middle of many long nights...

I was fortunate enough to march Blue Rock from '66 through '74 and in all of those times we always had the finest transportation available, always well maintained and driven by experienced and ultimate professionals.

Ask anyone who marched during those years. No one ever heard of any Rockyknocker bus problem, right???