Pioneer 2009

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, they didn't finish last in 05. Just so everyone knows it is definitely possible.

While "size isn't" everything, it's a huge factor. If you look at corps that were less than full sized over the past decade, they've typically finished in the bottom third of the standings (there's probably an exception somewhere though). The fact is that a full sized corp covers the field better, has better sound output, typically will get a better General effect and visual score, etc. For example, take an equivalent 100 member "Blue Devils" (or other top corp) and compare them against a full sized "Blue Devils", and I woul be shocked if the smaller corps gets a better score than the larger corp. Hence the push for ALL coprs to be full sized. You're at a major disadvantage otherwise.

Wow..considering they haven't had a show yet..some are hitting Cascades a little hard and I think it's a little too early for that.

Edited by Zeke

While "size isn't" everything, it's a huge factor. If you look at corps that were less than full sized over the past decade, they've typically finished in the bottom third of the standings (there's probably an exception somewhere though). The fact is that a full sized corp covers the field better, has better sound output, typically will get a better General effect and visual score, etc. For example, take an equivalent 100 member "Blue Devils" (or other top corp) and compare them against a full sized "Blue Devils", and I woul be shocked if the smaller corps gets a better score than the larger corp. Hence the push for ALL coprs to be full sized. You're at a major disadvantage otherwise.

Kind of an unfair comparison. I agree, the smaller BD would lose to the larger BD, but how would the smaller BD compare to the normal sized Spirit (just an example corps...middle of the pack)?

From what I have heard, the Cascades are small (30 brass and limited colour guard) Not that size is everything, but it can be a factor.

I highly doubt that

BRASS

The Brass section has 50 members that play trumpets, mellophones, baritones, euphoniums and tubas. All instruments are provided for the season. The Brass staff is made up of professional teachers and musicians from all over the country.

^^ Their site, and last time I looked they only had a couple holes left, certainly not 20.

I would certainly love to see Pioneer not come in last.

For the record, they didn't finish last in 05. Just so everyone knows it is definitely possible.

Do you remember what their placement was, and out of how many?

Do you remember what their placement was, and out of how many?

They took 23rd out of 24 corps. Officially, they probably would have taken last if Kiwanis hadn't had the final season that they had, but it definitely shows that it's possible.

Regardless, I'd rather see Pioneer move up in placement because of their improvements rather than someone else's "not the best" season, but if Pioneer moves up in placement at all I'll be very happy for all of the members and staff!

I absolutely agree. It's even the same way in DCA, with the larger corps almost always placing above the smaller corps, doesn't matter if the smaller corps is more talented/cleaner than the bigger corps.

Edited by cone256

I highly doubt that

^^ Their site, and last time I looked they only had a couple holes left, certainly not 20.

The information you see on a drum corps site is not always accurate. You are never going to see a group advertise that they are marching a tiny horn line or that they have 20 holes. The fact that cascades are advertising free tuition to get more people in the horn line means that they are desperate.

I know that they had intended to march 49 horns. Then I heard it was 42.. and now I have no idea what their plans are...Either way they will be pretty small.