Criticisms of Carolina Crown

First, a note on the topic: I could answer this topic for every other corps, including all of my favorites. I think the topic is a little slanted. Example: Don't expect a "Criticisms of Obama" to be a main topic at the Democratic National Convention.

That said, I have one main criticism of Crown amidst all of my praise. In a few quick words, the praise: Love the music. Some of the best. And this says a lot when you consider where the hornline was about 5 or 6 years ago.

Now, the criticism: No drill identity.

Or another way to say it: The drill might be difficult, but it doesn't have the visual payoff of the other top notch corps. I know what Cadet drill will look like (love it). I know what Cavaliers drill will look like (love it). I know what Blue Devils drill will look like, at least since 1994 (it's growing on me).

Yet, Crown drill seems a bit muddled, even when clean. The difficult moves lack the clarity of the Cavies or the ferocity of the Cadets. I never once remember having a Crown move leave my mouth gaping, as happens quite frequently with the other guys.

They don't have drill identity? What the crap does that have to do with Crown being good? I'm against Crown honks too, but that's like saying "I hate the Cavaliers this year because they didn't do that move they always do where lines rotate to create a box" or "Regiment didn't do their kick out" etc.

And didn't Crown beat the Cadets last year in mostly every visual caption?

Why don't you say you just don't like their drill instead of putting that identity crap as your excuse.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet, Crown drill seems a bit muddled, even when clean. The difficult moves lack the clarity of the Cavies or the ferocity of the Cadets. I never once remember having a Crown move leave my mouth gaping, as happens quite frequently with the other guys.

I only disagree on the intensity part. Crown's drill (this year) is pretty intense and there are some interesting ideas going on there. It's just dirty as all heck. Spacing errors in a block set? Members arriving 1/2 count to a whole count late to sets? Harder isn't always better and I think they may be pushing a little to much then is needed for effective visual.

Just wanted to throw in.. not that it means Jack... but a majority of their hornline staff are DISNEY ADDICTS!! Take that for what it's worth :unhappy:

..and that is NOT a criticism, BTW....

They don't have drill identity? What the crap does that have to do with Crown being good? I'm against Crown honks too, but that's like saying "I hate the Cavaliers this year because they didn't do that move they always do where lines rotate to create a box" or "Regiment didn't do their kick out" etc.

And didn't Crown beat the Cadets last year in mostly every visual caption?

Why don't you say you just don't like their drill instead of putting that identity crap as your excuse.

Wow....miss the point much?

They don't have an identity. Play just the Cadets, BD, Phantom, SCV, and Cavaliers pyware files and you'd be able to tell who is who. They have a distinct style.

Or maybe you'd just rather get angry? Raaaawwrrr!!!!

They used to have drill identity....

collegehumor.a196e382b66ea7c294cad7f419adcb9a.jpg

Wow....miss the point much?

They don't have an identity. Play just the Cadets, BD, Phantom, SCV, and Cavaliers pyware files and you'd be able to tell who is who. They have a distinct style.

Or maybe you'd just rather get angry? Raaaawwrrr!!!!

I still don't see how his comment of drill identity has anything to do with drill being good or bad. He basically said in the last sentence that their drill wasn't as exciting as others, but again, what does that comment have anything to do with identity..

Edited by qwerty543

LOL, Crown has a wonderful, unique drill identity. It woul dbe easy to identify them in a street clothes type rehearsal with no music.

Their style is rewarding, somewhat "predictable" in a good way that always enhances their music and draws the viewer to the right place at the right time, and its a very satisfying performance approach......

Geoffrey

I am not a newbie, rather I am an oldie and I love them. I find their shows demanding, interesting and exciting.

Their color guard is amazing.

I am not so hot on the guard uniforms but I have seen worse in my days.

If some of you haven't gone to WGI you would get an eyeful of awful uniforms.

I think Cadets did something similar in 1989 in their Les Miserables show. Yes, two songs were overlayed together. Each was played at a different tempo. One side played one song while the other side was played something different. It was a cool effect.

I'm sure Crown did something a little different, but it is sort of the same idea, perhaps refined!

Ah wow! I'm glad somebody here (well.. a great deal of people here) has more knowledge of the older shows that I haven't seen as much. Now that I think about it, I may remember Beddis talking about that Cadets show. I'm definitely gonna have to go back and watch it a couple times. Thanks!