Criticisms of Carolina Crown

It ticks me off that I won't get to see them more than once until Finals! What kind of pathetic topic is this, anyway?

What don't you like about George Hopkins? How about that nugget?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the moments where they show ARTICULATIONS.

Yeah, their horns do a lot of "Wall of Sound" moments, with very few rhythmic challenges. This is of course compared to other top corps. They do exist in the show, just not enough, IMO.

Identity. What's "their thing"? They'll get there, but right now it seems people describe their shows in terms of other corps. Once they find a niche and run with it they'll be golden.

Since 2004, they've been the "Pop Tunes" corps. Anything that'll be recognized by newbie fans, they'll play. Maybe an exception in '07. But, they seem to put out half-time band shows as of late.

I don't like their name. Too imperialistic.

Wait a minute. Have they done Crown Imperial?

...or Crown Jewels? That could be very interesting...

On second thought, I think I hate all honks. And this thread. And Mountain Dew.

I mean an organization that has bank off of others ideas.

They have support from South Carolina and for some reason have a large fan base.

You can bash Cavaliers and most other corps but say something about crown, o no the world will end.

I'm waiting for crown to show me something new, something new that makes sense...

This is the corps that marched 32 giant chess pieces.

They did a show with 2x4's, Goodyear Eagles, and aluminum siding!

They had MEN in their colorguard wear pink dresses!

They staged the Kentucky Derby and recited poetry on the field.

They were the first corps to march 16 tubas!

That's new...and it may not always make sense, but they go out on a limb and most often than not, they succeed.

It's ok not to like them! It's ok to pull for the other corps. It's ok because I will always pull against Boston, and Bluecoats as long as I LIVE FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER..... but I'm not going to bash those kids in BAC and Bluecoats, because they do what they do! ....and I respect that. I'll just pull for the other team to beat them.

:ph34r: I like them. I have always enjoyed every show they have put on the field. Triple Crown was cheese but it was fun cheese and I loved it. They have a hornline with cahones, an excellent guard, and their percussion has improved immensely. Last years show was great music and a great thrill to watch.

:unhappy: I don't get this years show, nor do I care for the music (except for Promise of Living which isn't even really in the show). In fairness, I have only seen it on line. I think they are trying to raise the sophistication level (which GE judges have probably dinged them on) and it seems that it is trying to be brainy, just for the sake of being brainy.

Like has been mentioned, I just don't get the hype. I agree that has more to do with their honks then them.

I do think they have the stuff to eventually win a championship. I just don't see that this year.

Yeah, their horns do a lot of "Wall of Sound" moments, with very few rhythmic challenges. This is of course compared to other top corps. They do exist in the show, just not enough, IMO.

Since 2004, they've been the "Pop Tunes" corps. Anything that'll be recognized by newbie fans, they'll play. Maybe an exception in '07. But, they seem to put out half-time band shows as of late.

i think most people recognize william tell overture :unhappy:

I suppose I'm prejudiced....2007 was my first year to follow DCI and Crown was off-the-charts cool that year! I've had a soft spot for them since. Haven't seen much hating other than the current food fight going on with them and Cadets this year. :unhappy:

Edited by Plan9