Criticisms of Carolina Crown

First, a note on the topic: I could answer this topic for every other corps, including all of my favorites. I think the topic is a little slanted. Example: Don't expect a "Criticisms of Obama" to be a main topic at the Democratic National Convention.

That said, I have one main criticism of Crown amidst all of my praise. In a few quick words, the praise: Love the music. Some of the best. And this says a lot when you consider where the hornline was about 5 or 6 years ago.

Now, the criticism: No drill identity.

Or another way to say it: The drill might be difficult, but it doesn't have the visual payoff of the other top notch corps. I know what Cadet drill will look like (love it). I know what Cavaliers drill will look like (love it). I know what Blue Devils drill will look like, at least since 1994 (it's growing on me).

Yet, Crown drill seems a bit muddled, even when clean. The difficult moves lack the clarity of the Cavies or the ferocity of the Cadets. I never once remember having a Crown move leave my mouth gaping, as happens quite frequently with the other guys.

I'm inclined to agree. I think they've been doing a great job with establishing a "look" for themselves in the past couple years (since Andy Ebert came on), but the drill just has never really done it for me. The same drill may have looked a lot more pleasing with dark uniforms, though... but I've gotta give it up for the cream.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been noticing people criticizing Crown on DCP the past few years. To get it all in one place, because I think it's an interesting topic, what are some of your criticisms of the corps and their shows in recent years?

Absolutely NONE!!!!!! Oh and this is a stupid thread.

Edited by bmroth1

uniform- cream? seriously?

upper bodies- they look like crap.

show design- sophomoric. gimmicky. low brow. very joe-six-pack.

the barack obama syndrome- this idea that crownies have that they crown can do no wrong and are above all criticism and feel the need to lash out like a 5-year-old at anyone who thinks so.

the posturing- i really dislike that crown likes to posture itself as one of the big boys but has yet to finish above 4th and yet to win a title or a caption in Div 1.

I will epilogue that I enjoy the effort the kids put on the field. Crown 2005 remains on heavy rotation on my drum corps playlist.

They don't have drill identity? What the crap does that have to do with Crown being good? I'm against Crown honks too, but that's like saying "I hate the Cavaliers this year because they didn't do that move they always do where lines rotate to create a box" or "Regiment didn't do their kick out" etc.

And didn't Crown beat the Cadets last year in mostly every visual caption?

Why don't you say you just don't like their drill instead of putting that identity crap as your excuse.

I think, perhaps, you didn't read all of my post before you replied like this. This topic is slanted toward the negative, as I pointed out in my first sentence. I never said crown is not good. I am from SC, and they are, in fact, one of my favorite corps. I knew their first drum major. Went to their very first South Carolina show.

I was not putting up "crap" as an excuse. I was simply trying to articulate what I perceive as a weakness. It's not about how hard it is. It's about getting the best visual reward for the difficulty. At least that's what I was trying to say.

And, yes, Crown beat Cadets in just about every visual caption last year. But I believe that the Cadets have a more specific style of drill, and frankly, I generally like their drill design better. Now, Sara Jones, on the other hand, I could have done without. But I think there are enough topics on that already.

If this topic had been "Name Carolina Crown's Strength", then I could have filled out a whole page.

Ah wow! I'm glad somebody here (well.. a great deal of people here) has more knowledge of the older shows that I haven't seen as much. Now that I think about it, I may remember Beddis talking about that Cadets show. I'm definitely gonna have to go back and watch it a couple times. Thanks!

Thanks for not being offended. I love when corps "refine" an idea that has been done in the past. It's kind of cool to see an idea fleshed out and taken to the next level. I'm really loving Crown this year.

As far as criticism, I'd like the plumes to be a little darker color so that they stand out more. I know the rest will come in August.

I think, perhaps, you didn't read all of my post before you replied like this. This topic is slanted toward the negative, as I pointed out in my first sentence. I never said crown is not good. I am from SC, and they are, in fact, one of my favorite corps. I knew their first drum major. Went to their very first South Carolina show.

I was not putting up "crap" as an excuse. I was simply trying to articulate what I perceive as a weakness. It's not about how hard it is. It's about getting the best visual reward for the difficulty. At least that's what I was trying to say.

And, yes, Crown beat Cadets in just about every visual caption last year. But I believe that the Cadets have a more specific style of drill, and frankly, I generally like their drill design better. Now, Sara Jones, on the other hand, I could have done without. But I think there are enough topics on that already.

If this topic had been "Name Carolina Crown's Strength", then I could have filled out a whole page.

I think I got confused around the part where you said I know what the Cadets, blue devils, and cavaliers will do and somehow that was being correlated with their drill being not as strong. That clarifies it unless that is indeed what you mean

Edited by qwerty543

I would say that Crown reminds me somewhat of Star. When Star first came around they were despised, especially by Lancer people. Also, Star didn't have an identity and every year did something completely different. They were also very Disney and even did a Disney show.

uniform- cream? seriously?

upper bodies- they look like crap.

show design- sophomoric. gimmicky. low brow. very joe-six-pack.

the barack obama syndrome- this idea that crownies have that they crown can do no wrong and are above all criticism and feel the need to lash out like a 5-year-old at anyone who thinks so.

the posturing- i really dislike that crown likes to posture itself as one of the big boys but has yet to finish above 4th and yet to win a title or a caption in Div 1.

I will epilogue that I enjoy the effort the kids put on the field. Crown 2005 remains on heavy rotation on my drum corps playlist.

The posture argument is getting old. We all know that Cadets and BD have wonderful posture. I'm sure the other corps in the top 5 will be fine too. I guess I'm not a Borg or a Crownie. I call it like I see it each year. Crown's hornline is very nice, dark, loud, and balanced. I don't think it is very joe-six-pack at all. The show design is nice and refreshing. I don't think it's any more "gimmicky" than any other corps this year. They all have their gimmicks.

I hated that Crown didn't insist on going on last at the Decatur show last night. Cavies were a real letdown after Crown. Bored out of my skull. I realize that "LOUD" isn't everything but the Cavies should be embarrassed. They were like the fourth loudest corps. Seemed like they weren't even trying