Holy Name Cadets -- Rome, NY

The only thing good about this long ride from Erie to Rome is that we knew about it. Long rides can really test the patients of the drivers especially when they start to get tired. We did get out of Erie at a reasonable hour of 11:30 pm and arrived in Rome around 5:30 am. I think everyone is glad that ride is over :)

Now about the show, first let me say I want to fess up and let you all know that I was hoping that the Cadets were going to go underfeated. Now that I got that out, taking nothing away from Crown because they are that good, I was surprised at the scoring outcome. Both corps did receive standing ovations but from where I was viewing the show I still felt Cadets had the edge even though it would have been small. Tonight, for the first time, the Cadets experienced technical difficulties with their synth getting sound out of it. It was a little awkward watching them trying to trouble shoot the problem with the audience looking on. This was a nice stadium but the audience seemed to be sitting right on top of the field. George finally said, "let's go". The opening sound track of the whisteling was a bit low on sound and caused some slight phasing in the opening statement. The keyboard finally did get its connection and the Cadets seemed to have righted the ship quickly. The fans are just eating up the ending to "A Boy Like That" giving the Cadets probably the loudest standing ovation still on tour and for the evening. In the closer the stands were just too low to notice the insignias the Cadets form: HNC; G, CB & 75 staged right. That was my que for you to look for it if you haven't noticed it yet :) The ending is just crazy and definitely needs some work but that will come. There are no heads hanging here in Cadet nation today is another day and the kids will be up shortly to eat breakfast at 7:15 am to start preparing for tonight's contest. I'm going to stick with what I've been saying all along; this is a good Cadet corps with a good show that will eventually be awarded for all that they are doing on the field. Keep working Cadets!

We crossed paths with Crossmen twice on the road to Rome. I finally asked the meteorologist traveling with Cadets, who is working the souvie booth, how he was liking using his skills with drum corps. It was an interesting conversation and I learned that it was more than having him around for just a forecast. You can get that any where. What he explained to me was the data that he compiles for his forecasts and sends them to George, Eric and Rudy can give them information to make decisions of pulling the corps of the field during inclement weather, such as thunder storms. Example when we were Toledo a few days ago. Its kind of nice to almost know exactly when a possible storm may be coming through. He's a nice guy and I'm glad he's spending his summer with the Cadets.

I'm personally excited about tonight's show. I get to see a drum corps from my home town of New London, CT; the 7th Regiment. This is where my drum corps history began. To see the folks I marched with back then keeping drum corps alive in this small town to give the kids the same opportunity to have a life changing experience just like I did. Now it is certainly time for me to go to bed, I am exhausted and I wanted to get this out before turning in. Good night and good morning.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start by saying a HUGE congrats to Crown, they're just that good this season...amazing, they're pulling off the demand of their show & THAT ladies & gentlemen is why they're doing well. It's the same at all levels of marching: Hard Drill & Hard Music is ONLY rewarded when done well, so don't over-shoot what is possible in one season, and what your students can achieve.

Okay, now about this whole "HNC; G, CB & 75" is really starting to push it for me. I'm not some troll trying to flame the Cadets...in fact I was quite the avid supporter when they weren't exactly "popular". But, this year's show is W.S.S 'Conflict & Resolution' we ALL KNOW it's their 75th ect ect ect, but it's really starting to get to the point that it's all very annoying to hear it.

Let's clean some drill & music, make some smart design choices, stop relying on electronics, and most of all stop playing on the heartstrings of DCI to "...remember we're the oldest, it's our 75th" for the score they're wanting.

Cadets, I love you! But enough is enough. Crown is a hot ticket, b/c they're more pre-occupied with TODAY not 75 years ago :)

As always, just my three cents.

Let's clean some drill & music, make some smart design choices, stop relying on electronics, and most of all stop playing on the heartstrings of DCI to "...remember we're the oldest, it's our 75th" for the score they're wanting.

Cadets, I love you! But enough is enough. Crown is a hot ticket, b/c they're more pre-occupied with TODAY not 75 years ago :)

Huh? :worthy:

Anyway, congrats to Crown! Surely, you're only beating HNC because HNC's too busy thinking about how old they are...

Let me start by saying a HUGE congrats to Crown, they're just that good this season...amazing, they're pulling off the demand of their show & THAT ladies & gentlemen is why they're doing well. It's the same at all levels of marching: Hard Drill & Hard Music is ONLY rewarded when done well, so don't over-shoot what is possible in one season, and what your students can achieve.

Okay, now about this whole "HNC; G, CB & 75" is really starting to push it for me. I'm not some troll trying to flame the Cadets...in fact I was quite the avid supporter when they weren't exactly "popular". But, this year's show is W.S.S 'Conflict & Resolution' we ALL KNOW it's their 75th ect ect ect, but it's really starting to get to the point that it's all very annoying to hear it.

I guess no one can have 1 anniversary year without it getting annoying. You can go to other threads to complain about yet another thing the Cadets are doing. How about keeping this one positive?

Thanks again Irving.

Yes Irving...Thank you. I enjoy reading an inside and personal account of the Cadets. And feel free to celebrate your anniversary anyway you like. Cadets have never been "your average drum corps"...so keep doing what you're doing...and thanks for the visual tip...I'll be sure the check it out in Allentown..

lol, since when is saying clean up what you're doing and worry less about all the publicity a negative thing!? I could have bashed on "they're using voice again" or "....another electronic failure, blar blar" but really negative?! I don't think so.

..oh and never said don't celebrate, but wtf with all the silly antics to try and win over an extra .5 here and there. Just be the bada#@ Cadets you know how to be and leave the 75th gimmicks for the lot.

..oh and never said don't celebrate, but wtf with all the silly antics to try and win over an extra .5 here and there. Just be the bada#@ Cadets you know how to be and leave the 75th gimmicks for the lot.

Really though, what ARE you talking about? What antics? Making a few symbols on the field? If that's all you're talking about, then yes, I'm sure they're spending every moment practicing those pesky letters. Darn it HNC, move on!

PS -- They put the G in shows back when they were Garfield, for no special reason except it's what they wanted to do.

lol, since when is saying clean up what you're doing and worry less about all the publicity a negative thing!? I could have bashed on "they're using voice again" or "....another electronic failure, blar blar" but really negative?! I don't think so.

Thanks again for your negativity. You may think they're silly, but you surely don't speak for everyone. I hope they add more "silly" antics just like every other drum corps INCLUDING Crown.

:worthy: :worthy: .....

Thanks go out to Irving for his updates! It's great to hear about the daily happenings with Holy Name.

:worthy: .....

Edited by acolli17