The OFFICIAL Carolina Crown thread

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, is this the "official" definition of "official?" The definition I find says "prescribed or recognized as authorized." I don't think a higher power has decreed that DCP is the official discussion forum of drum corps...but wouldn't you say it is recognized as such? On the flip side, the NCAA is the highest power in college athletics...yet they don't recognize a football national champion. Does that mean that all those national title holders are frauds?

This is insulting and unworthy of you. Not something one would expect of someone in higher education.

If you can't make your arguments dispassionately against the younger denizens of DCP, perhaps you should not be posting here.

DCP is far from being the "official" discussion forum of drum corps...I think that most DCP readers think it is more central to the activity than it is. If it were the official discussion forum, it would be endorsed by DCI, DCA, or another adjudicating body. Would you suggest that other discussion forums be shut down because you prefer Drum Corps Planet and proclaim it the 'official' discussion forum? By what authority would you do so?

The NCAA does not recognize a national champion, but the BCS does. Before the BCS, people online used to call them "MNCs" or "Mythical National Champions." That indicates a recognition, among people that want to define terms, that there is room for discussion - that there is no official champion.

I would indeed hope that someone in higher education would expect his students to use terms correctly.

So how about them Dodgers....or what ever baseball team is closest to you!

I'm tired of this official BS that's flooding the CROWN discussion board! I didn't see "The OFFICIAL Official Discussion Board" on the link!

So please...let it go!

The one thing that I'm interested in seeing most develop, is the last few moments. after the scatter set and remold of the opening sets, it seems quite anti climactic visually. But the music has a good feel to it. I wonder what they will do to capitalize on the visual aspect.

My money is on thirty-two more counts of drill ending with a Crown.

My money is on thirty-two more counts of drill ending with a Crown.

I was hoping for more so I went I checked the show run-time. Its a few seconds shy of 11:30 so I guess we aren't getting any more music. The guard could be spinning (even could pull off an equipment change in the side 2 end zone i guess.). But 32 cts is not much time to re-stage and do something meaningful.

IF the guard spins I'm guessing 64 cts otherwise they will probably just form the crown at the end.

FUN guessing and I can't wait to see what happens.

DCP is far from being the "official" discussion forum of drum corps...I think that most DCP readers think it is more central to the activity than it is. If it were the official discussion forum, it would be endorsed by DCI, DCA, or another adjudicating body. Would you suggest that other discussion forums be shut down because you prefer Drum Corps Planet and proclaim it the 'official' discussion forum? By what authority would you do so?

The NCAA does not recognize a national champion, but the BCS does. Before the BCS, people online used to call them "MNCs" or "Mythical National Champions." That indicates a recognition, among people that want to define terms, that there is room for discussion - that there is no official champion.

I would indeed hope that someone in higher education would expect his students to use terms correctly.

I think the point I was trying to make was that it is overly pedantic to whine about this on a discussion forum...especially an UNOFFICIAL one. :worthy:

And for what it is worth...don't put words in my mouth. I neither advocated that other discussion forums be shut down, nor claimed that *I* believe DCP to be the official drum corps forum. I merely pointed out that there are some who do believe it. But that's neither here nor there.

It's all good. If you prefer, I am sure the mods can change the title to "De facto Official Carolina Crown thread." *My* point is, it's really a very small thing to get one's panties in a wad about. Peace! :worthy:

P.S. I've seen the pre-BCS national title trophies. None of them...not a single one....said "mythical" on it. :worthy:

Edited by Threats

My favorite show last year was HANDS DOWN Carolina Crown. The 2008 Crown corps opened up part of me I didn't know existed.

I expect, considering what I've seen of 2009 Crown's show, that they will be my favorite corps again. My only regret is that I will not get a chance to see this show live this season........and so I am grateful for the Fan Network and the quarterfinals movie simulcast.

I never thought in a billion years my favorite show of the year would be Crown, let alone Crown TWO years in a row........not that I've ever been a Crown hater but my hat is off to this magnificent organization and it's meteoric rise to power.

By the way, what was drum corps like before the 16 member contra/tuba line?

LOL

First, there was Star 92...then Crown 2008...and now this season there are at least 3 corps fielding 16 tubas, Crown, Bluecoats and Cavaliers. Are there any others?

You're doing a pretty good job of being amazing right now too.

Are you serious?

Is this really that important of a thing with you? Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!

Oh, is this the "official" definition of "official?" The definition I find says "prescribed or recognized as authorized." I don't think a higher power has decreed that DCP is the official discussion forum of drum corps...but wouldn't you say it is recognized as such? On the flip side, the NCAA is the highest power in college athletics...yet they don't recognize a football national champion. Does that mean that all those national title holders are frauds?

This is insulting and unworthy of you. Not something one would expect of someone in higher education.

I will agree with you and Hrothgar that I have been all wound up about this. Not sure why. I don't mean to beat this to death. I think I really did have my panties all wound up in a knot yesterday. Sorry about that.

I think, as someone else put it, in higher education I expect my students to use terminology the correct way...all the time. I guess the whole "official" this and that is just starting to bother me. I think, if we are creative, we can just give these threads a good name and leave it at that. As I have gotten older in life the connotation that comes with "official" tends to catch my eye and mean something very different. You're right though, it isn't anything to get all bent out of shape over. I made more of a deal about it yesterday that I should have.

I do understand that we don't want to see 50 other Crown threads (or you name the corps), but sometimes what I find is happening is that the threads are becoming too open and universal. For certain types of discussions I would think a more narrow, specific approach to a topic might be better, hence not combining things. A Crown brass thread doesn't need to be combined with a Crown guard thread. I think it's better to have several threads open and to allow more direct conversation that to combine them, and in that case the use of "official" kind of rubs me wrong as well, because it centralizes issues that could be better dealt with on their own.

Anyway, apologies to all for taking this good topic off course a bit. Wasn't my intention but I was in a weird mood last night.

By the way, if Crown and Cadets end up 1 and 2 this year, how amazing would that be to have two East Coast corps in those spots. The East has never done that, not in the DCI era. I think the closest they came was in 1980 when 27th Lancers were 2nd and Bridgemen 3rd.

Those were two great shows.

I am officially stunned that official whining about the use of the word "official" has almost taken a larger percentage of this thread than ANY discussion about Carolina Crown.

My advice to anyone who likes the use of the word official: SHUT UP AND GO AWAY. My advice to anyone who dislikes the use of the word official: SHUT UP AND GO AWAY.

I'm "officially" sick and tired of it, as are/were anyone who came to this thread to discuss Carolina Crown and went away in disgust.