July 1st Corps "Tiers"

Corps " Tiers" are a difficult thing to define and even more difficult to designate here in July. Corps have not all been subjected to full panels. Corps have not gone head to head in competition. Some Corps started their season early, some later. Corps tend to make the most changes earlier in the competitive season rather than later. Thus, setting " tiers " right now is a futile exercise fraught with peril and definately subject to change as the season unfolds in the coming weeks. That said, as I see it, here are the " Tiers " here on July 1st. My methodology is based upon latest score here on July 1st and the grouping is based upon Corps that tend to be within 2 points of one another in these " tiers ":

Ist tier................................................................ Carolina Crown

2nd ( and lower tier) : ...................Holy Name Cadets, Blue Devils

3rd tier : .................................SCV / Cavs/ Phantom/ Bluecoats

4th tier:.......................................Boston Crusaders/ Blue Stars

5th tier : ..................................... Blue Knights / Glassmen

6th tier :...Troopers/ Madison /Spirit / Colts /Academy / Crossmen

7th tier :.... Mandarins/ Pacific Crest/ Jersey Surf/ Pioneer/ Cascades

Thoughts on these early going July 1st " tiers " ?

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

combine 4 and 5 they look weird with just 2 corps in one.

combine 4 and 5 they look weird with just 2 corps in one.

Based upon the scores through last night though, that grouping does not seem appropriate at this time.

I basically agree with the groupings, or "tiers" as you say.

So I guess "tiers" are just as subjective as judging appears to be at times. At this rate we'll have 23 different tiers, and when you keep randomly adding tiers with no real definition of the difference between them it kind of makes the whole thing pointless.

I think I would have placed it like this:

Ist tier...............................................Carolina Crown, Blue Devils

2nd ( and lower tier) : ............................Holy Name Cadets, Cavs

3rd tier : ................................................Phantom / SCV

ehh...somethign like that. think bluecoats are between PR/SCV and BAC/BS...

To me, the tiers are a little bit more about "clumping," as well as where I'd expect the corps who haven't performed in a day or two to be scoring. This is much less mathmatically defined, but visually, when you look at the graphs, there are generally some clear gaps in the overal data.

Here's how I'd seperate them, given my overall "feel" of the scores:

I: Crown, Cadets, Blue Devils

II: Vanguard, Cavaliers, Phantom, Bluecoats

III: Crusaders, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Glassmen

IV: Troopers, Scouts, Spirit, Colts, Academy, Crossmen

V: Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Surf, Pioneer

Edited by Keith Laubhan

I think it is impossible to group corps right now unless they compete nightly against each other.. Are we to believe that Boston jumped up 4 points in improvement in a day? I know the scores say so, but that would mean by the end of the season they will be the World Champs... When you consider that BK has not seen the G-Men, BAC or BS it is impossible to really get a handle on the scores.... Last year at this time BK and Blue Stars both were getting beat by the Colts which is not a slam against the Red Team, it's just not where they ended up down the road and once they really started having shows with more and more corps... BK's scores have levelled for the time being because they have not been around corps that are roughly the same compeitition right now. I think Bluecoats should be but BK is dirty compared to them and it is reflected in the score... Honestly if you looked at the scores this year, there does not seem to be a West Coast Bias or a Mid-West bias eiter. If anything this season scores are a joke until everyone sees full panels. One judge can give you a significant boost or drop u if they give a bad number....

Honestly here are the competitive brackets as I see them from observing corps on fan network based off of performance/cleanliness/design and not by scores... just my opinion and nothing more...

1-3) Crown, Cadets, BD

4-7) SCV, Phantom, Bluecoats, Cavies

8-10) BK, BS, BAC

11) G-Men

12-15) Troopers, Madison, Colts, Spirit (possibly Academy)

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Edited by wesleyrp

To me, the tiers are a little bit more about "clumping," as well as where I'd expect the corps who haven't performed in a day or two to be scoring. This is much less mathmatically defined, but visually, when you look at the graphs, there are generally some clear gaps in the overal data.

Here's how I'd seperate them, given my overall "feel" of the scores:

I: Crown, Cadets, Blue Devils

II: Vanguard, Cavaliers, Phantom, Bluecoats

III: Crusaders, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Glassmen

IV: Troopers, Scouts, Spirit, Colts, Academy, Crossmen

V: Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Surf, Pioneer

I think I'm more comfortable with this one too...