I respect anybody that has been in a corps.

The people I respect the most are the ones that stick with a corps regardless of the odds against them (Jester for example).

Also, the members that go to a second or third choice corps when they are cut regardless of division or classification (open class, DCA, Alumni, etc).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect everyone. Obviously, when you march you have personal opinions about various other corps for whatever reasons. Every corps gets on the bus and says "F the *corps that just beat us* I hate them" and whatever. That's just part of the competition. But in the end, we are all on the same team. Every person who has marched has sacrificed and given up many things in order to do something that we love, and they deserve the respect and acknowledgement for that.

Additionally, everyone has their opinions about certain shows. But when you see people who marched, IMO it is important to remember that every single one of them did the best that they can do with what they were given. The first example that comes to mind is Cadets 05 to Cadets 06. Cadets 05 was obviously more successful on the field, but the people who marched in 06 should not be viewed as inferior (for lack of a better word). And if you didn't like a show, that is your own opinion, but the kid in the jacket didn't design the show. All the kid in the jacket did was work their ### off. Instead of thinking "this kid marched a show that I hated" you should be thinking "this kid, and many others like him, worked his ### off all summer so I could have something to watch."

If someone marched 6+ years or whatever, that is obviously impressive. They contributed a lot to the activity. That doesn't mean that people who only marched 1 or 2 years should be looked down on. You can't go to someone and say "why didn't you march a third year?" If you talk to them and hear their drum corps story, then you can ask, but it is vastly unfair and wrong to assume things about people who marched a shorter time. What if they didn't even know about drum corps when they had 5 years left to march? Are you going to think "haha, this loser didn't even know about drum corps, and I marched 7 years, I am so much better!" I mean, that would probably make you an ########.

If you didn't like someone during the season, that's fine, but in the end you should be more than happy to kick back and share a beer with someone who marched drum corps, regardless of where they marched. I mean, honestly... if the German and British soldiers in the middle of WWI can share drinks, cigars, and a game of soccer, then us drum corps fans can treat each other with respect.

Amen! :biggrin:

I totally agree. I marched 6 years with Pacific Crest, and for the most part, people were like, "Where? Who's that?!" and as soon as I say Crown 07-08 they change immediately. It's surprising to me how unknown Pacific Crest still is to a large number of Drum Corps fans!

I see this too, and it is unfortunate. It is not like you had a significantly different ability level between your 6th year at PC and your 1st year at Crown, but I'm sure most people would assume that if you march a corps like PC, you aren't good enough to march a corps like Crown, which while definitely true in some cases, is far from true in all cases.

I respect everyone. Obviously, when you march you have personal opinions about various other corps for whatever reasons. Every corps gets on the bus and says "F the *corps that just beat us* I hate them" and whatever. That's just part of the competition. But in the end, we are all on the same team. Every person who has marched has sacrificed and given up many things in order to do something that we love, and they deserve the respect and acknowledgement for that.

Additionally, everyone has their opinions about certain shows. But when you see people who marched, IMO it is important to remember that every single one of them did the best that they can do with what they were given. The first example that comes to mind is Cadets 05 to Cadets 06. Cadets 05 was obviously more successful on the field, but the people who marched in 06 should not be viewed as inferior (for lack of a better word). And if you didn't like a show, that is your own opinion, but the kid in the jacket didn't design the show. All the kid in the jacket did was work their ### off. Instead of thinking "this kid marched a show that I hated" you should be thinking "this kid, and many others like him, worked his ### off all summer so I could have something to watch."

If someone marched 6+ years or whatever, that is obviously impressive. They contributed a lot to the activity. That doesn't mean that people who only marched 1 or 2 years should be looked down on. You can't go to someone and say "why didn't you march a third year?" If you talk to them and hear their drum corps story, then you can ask, but it is vastly unfair and wrong to assume things about people who marched a shorter time. What if they didn't even know about drum corps when they had 5 years left to march? Are you going to think "haha, this loser didn't even know about drum corps, and I marched 7 years, I am so much better!" I mean, that would probably make you an ########.

If you didn't like someone during the season, that's fine, but in the end you should be more than happy to kick back and share a beer with someone who marched drum corps, regardless of where they marched. I mean, honestly... if the German and British soldiers in the middle of WWI can share drinks, cigars, and a game of soccer, then us drum corps fans can treat each other with respect.

Yeah I agree with this. I think EVERYONE deserves respect. I have always thought, though, that a lot of the guys in the lower corps just get shafted a lot of the times. I marched a lower corps for 3 yrs, then went to a higher corps for 3 yrs. I can tell you that when I mention the lower corps I marched I always get a "Oh ok." response. But when I mention the higher corps I get a "HOLY COW! THAT'S AWESOME!" I just have always hated that people, especially people who are not around the activity, judge so harshly on where you march...

Exactly....especially if that corps went through some sort of adversity and came through in the end to comtinue to perform. Memphis Sound 07 at Div II/III prelims, for example. HUGE props there.

I appreciate everything you have said about that season of Memphis Sound. You have always shown support when others questioned what was going on, even now. So thank you. That one show that year will forever stand out in my head. We were not even in the stadium yet when the announcer asked if we were ready! And we still received the highest score in corps history.

But back on topic. I tell people I marched Memphis Sound. I was at all-state auditions and someone saw my ring and got extremely excited because he had never met someone who marched before. He asked where and I said Memphis. Just like that he says, oh you only marched Memphis, and turned his back and left. Pretty much a slap in the face for me.

I have allways had respect for anyone that marched the season, but i will say it seemed that the Kingsmen had some certain respect and it was noticed. but this could be applied to so many, madison sop solist 75, oakland crussaders 1976 drum major and drum line, i could go on and on.

I respect all those that have and are marching. I really never understood the desire and dedication needed to march a drum corp until this year. My son is a first year corp guard member. I have some additional respect for him, not only because he's my son, but because #1, he's only 17 and made the corp, but #2, when I told him we couldn't afford to pay for his fall season at the HS he marches with, the Winter Guard that travels to Dayton each year AND the drum corp fees, he not only got a job to help, he put EVERY pay check away until his summer fees were paid for.

Call this bragging if you will (and yes I'm doing that as well) but I really respect the fact that he wanted this SO BAD he made it happen, I guess you can say I'm a PROUD Guard Dad!! :biggrin:

Edited by Guard-Dad

But back on topic. I tell people I marched Memphis Sound. I was at all-state auditions and someone saw my ring and got extremely excited because he had never met someone who marched before. He asked where and I said Memphis. Just like that he says, oh you only marched Memphis, and turned his back and left. Pretty much a slap in the face for me.

ugh. Those are the wannabes who sit in the stands at shows with their friends and go "oh, we did that move at my high school". Sometimes I want to punch them in the face.

I can tell you that when I mention the lower corps I marched I always get a "Oh ok." response. But when I mention the higher corps I get a "HOLY COW! THAT'S AWESOME!" I just have always hated that people, especially people who are not around the activity, judge so harshly on where you march...

I agree... it is worse that the sentiment like that [for the most part] comes from people who have never marched drum corps. Who are they to rate the value of your experiences?

Edited by soccerguy315

So I was thinking the other day...When you meet someone who has marched, what do you respect about their career the most? Where they marched? How many years they marched? What instrument they played? I think everyone gets respect who has marched, but I was wondering if you see someone in say a Cavies jacket who has a '00, '01, and '02 patch on their sleeve versus someone who has marched somewhere like Spirit for 6 years....(and there is no disrespect to Spirit here. Only using them as an example...). What do you guys think?

When I meet someone who marched Drum Corps, frankly I'm not impressed with who they marched with, how many years they marched, nor what instrument they played, taught, or judged.

They earn my " respect " ( or lose the same ) by how they conduct themselves.

the jacket, patch, etc is just superficial stuff to me that has no bearing at all on how much " respect " they should be afforded.