Exactly....especially if that corps went through some sort of adversity and came through in the end to comtinue to perform. Memphis Sound 07 at Div II/III prelims, for example. HUGE props there.

Ding... Ding... winner to me....

Started with a corps that had been inactive and started late when they came back after more than a year off.

Corps make up was mainly:

1) Vets who came out of retirement for that year to get the corps going

2) Rookies who didn't have a clue (moi for one)

3) People who did have a clue but could only march for a year or two.

Only did two competitions that year and one was Prelims (came in last). Following year we were last at every show except the last two. I lucked out in being able to stick around until we hit top 10 at DCA. My respect is to groups #1 and #3 who never made DCA Finals but still took their beatings so the corps could build for the future. :biggrin:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree with this. I think EVERYONE deserves respect. I have always thought, though, that a lot of the guys in the lower corps just get shafted a lot of the times. I marched a lower corps for 3 yrs, then went to a higher corps for 3 yrs. I can tell you that when I mention the lower corps I marched I always get a "Oh ok." response. But when I mention the higher corps I get a "HOLY COW! THAT'S AWESOME!" I just have always hated that people, especially people who are not around the activity, judge so harshly on where you march...

(Emphasis mine.)

Nailed it.

People inside the activity recognize what it takes to march any corps and know that there are super talented members, and ticks, in every corps. There may be some extra "Wow, that's cool" factor if somebody marched in a particularly cool show/really good section, but there's not a huge change.

People who have never marched tend to have much more of the "fanboy" factor.

I used to teach a somewhat above average band that had many BD alums on staff and that sent 3-4 kids a year to march junior corps and the band kids would openly mock the ones who marched Magic or Teal Sound rather than Boston, Crown, Cadets, etc.

The first year I went on tour as a food truck volunteer was after my daughter stopped marching. After two weeks I had a totally new respect for my child doing that for four years. Doing that gave me a totally different picture of what the members go through each day.

Maybe its the difference between "Respect" and "Envy". I respect anyone who has marched because I know the hard work and sacrifice it takes no matter with whom you march. But, I must admit, I envy those who had the opportunity to march with an "elite" corps. As a horn player, I would have loved the opportunity to play in one of those hornlines.

I respect everyone in the world...until they lose it.

I respect anyone that completely agrees with me on all things. It demonstrates that they are in possession of a brilliant intellect.

Edited by BRASSO

I appreciate everything you have said about that season of Memphis Sound. You have always shown support when others questioned what was going on, even now. So thank you. That one show that year will forever stand out in my head. We were not even in the stadium yet when the announcer asked if we were ready! And we still received the highest score in corps history.

When DCI started putting Div II/III shows from 07 up, Mempho was the first one I watched and downloaded....but I REALLY want the prelims show....even though you won Finals, Prelims was the more significant and emotion of the two.

I respect the MOST ---- those members from the days when corps were locally-based, who WORKED ALL YEAR raising money, sold tickets, had bake sales, worked rummage sales, worked on the buses or equipment trucks, maintained equipment, sewed uniforms, marched parades, played in public functions, recruited new members, taught newbies on their own time, etc etc.....as well as learning and executing their parts.

Many of them were probably in small-/medium-size corps that some old-timers only faintly recognize (if at all), and Bb'ers never even heard about.....but they were the salt of the earth and the heart and soul of bugle corps.

My hat's off to those folks, and I bet they came away from corps with many serious life lessons that made them better and more successful people.

I also respect members of corps who fought to make the field againt the odds - BAC in the late 70's, 1975 Kingsmen, and Velvet Knights in the '70s....just to name a very few.

I've said before, that if I was in charge of the world, every corps member from a small corps would get their chance to march in the big time....

I'm grateful I had that chance....

Edited by GuyW

I respect the MOST ---- those members from the days when corps were locally-based, who WORKED ALL YEAR raising money, sold tickets, had bake sales, worked rummage sales, worked on the buses or equipment trucks, maintained equipment, sewed uniforms, marched parades, played in public functions, recruited new members, taught newbies on their own time, etc etc.....as well as learning and executing their parts.

Many of them were probably in small-/medium-size corps that some old-timers only faintly recognize (if at all), and Bb'ers never even heard about.....but they were the salt of the earth and the heart and soul of bugle corps.

My hat's off to those folks, and I bet they came away from corps with many serious life lessons that made them better and more successful people.

I agree. Many of the people that I marched with lasted in our corps for at least 5-10 years. We never had an "off-season". Practice was a minimum of two nights a week, at least 50 weeks a year. Most weekends in the fall and winter, we were doing some sort of fundraiser. My favorite was always the one we called "begging" at the local train station. We would get up at 4:00 AM so we could catch all of the commuters at the train station for their loose change on their way to work, and then we'd work at our corps' bingo game until 11:30 that same night. Your corps back then wasn't just something to "build your band director resume", it was our life. I thoroughly respect my son and his corpsmates for the incredible shows they put out now, the super long tours they endure, the rigorous practice days they go through, etc., etc. BUT, once they go home at the end of a camp or the end of the summer, corps fades a little. In my day, it never went away (particularly since my Dad was the Director :biggrin: ).

Respect? I have it for anyone who marched corps.

Will I, personally, be more impressed by certain FMMs more then others? yes. And not just from corps to corps, but also in a single corps from year to year.

Edited by luvs me sum mello!

In my opinion, anyone who has marched respects anyone who marched - no matter what corps. We know what it takes to get through any summer with any corps.

It seems like folks who never marched are the ones who make a differentiation between who marched in what corps.

I'd hope that any person can recognize the commitment - regardless of uniform color or style!!