i respect everyone who marches corps, but i gained a new respect summer 08 when i was with spirit,

i respect the people who march for 1 corps their whole career more than people who "corps hop"

everyone in the activity gets a WHOLE LOT of respect though

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, the name does garner a lot of respect in its own right, just look at colleges, we do the same thing there. Just because you don't go to the Ivy Leagues of the world or what not doesn't mean you're incapable. Everyone has their own reasons for joining whichever corp and for myself I wanted to stay near home for my 1st yr and ending up loving it, not to mention college kinda dictated that I return there anyway. Back to the point, I remember teaching once and I got dumped on for not marching a corp like theirs even if it was world class. It's sad but true that name recognition goes a lot farther and deeper then we would all like to think.

I remember seeing Marion Cadets in a show at Charleston, WV in 1992 or 1993 (for whatever reason, I can't find this on corpsreps...interesting). Marion had 5 or 6 brass members and I remember being blown away by their performance. A friend told me later, "nobody in that hornline was taking a breather--they couldn't afford to."

From that point forward, I have developed a greater appreciation of successful smaller groups. To me, a group doesn't have to be Top 12 to earn the respect. It doesn't matter where a person marches. In fact, I would counter the argument by contending that folks in "up and coming" corps have a lot more courage to march when the results don't come as easily as corps with a past tradition of excellence.

Edited by Elmo Blatch

I respect what they have given back to the activity. I marched, I taught after age out and am now a director. I give back because there were people when I marched that did it for me.

I remember marching DIV 1 and watching some smaller corps and really digging what they were doing. I even saw some DIV 2/3 drumlines and thought "they are better than us". Later I got to teach a DIV 2 corps and really got an appreciation for what it takes to put a corps on the field. That being said, I have respect for any corps and it's members that can field in any given summer.

As far as the top World Class corps, I really respect the excellence and difficulty of their shows, but I really must give props to the staff and administration. Those kids are doing things I couldn't do (especially today..ha), but they are really just soldiers doing what they are told. The respect for true excellence goes to the corps as a whole entity, the respect for individuals goes to every marcher, volunteer, paid staff, show staff etc that makes this activity what it is.

I do have a beef though: I really think MANY people don't appreciate corps that aren't in the top 3 or 5 or 7 or whatever. They show up late at shows, they don't buy souvies from the "nobodies". Some prospective members won't even try out for Open Class because they think it is beneath them. I personally know people that spent several years in a small corps and then one (or two or three) in a top corps and don't even recognize the corps they came from!

Heck, it even happens here on DCP. A few weeks ago there was a story about a Pacific Crest Alumnus being injured while serving in the Marines. The news story came and went, and the seperate thread about him got one response. I have to think if that young man were a Madison Scout or a Blue Devil there would have been an overwelming show of support. I hope I'm wrong on that, but I sense I am not.

I still love drumcorps though!

Edited by jonnyboy

Does anyone have an opinion on someone who has marched open class vs. someone who has marched world class? Feel free to be honest; you won't offend me haha.

Does anyone have an opinion on someone who has marched open class vs. someone who has marched world class? Feel free to be honest; you won't offend me haha.

Not any one person. I have received some crap from some Div.2 corps that are affiliated with a Div1 corps (that will remain nameless) and has given me a reason to not put out the effort to follow that corps every step. But I still appreciate the staff and MM of that corps.

It takes a lot of dedication to do what we do on that field. Nothing can devalue that for me. Nothing.