Who had the biggest impact on your corps experience?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been fortunate to enjoy this activity with and under some of the great. I marched under three hall of fame members. I am fortunate to call a couple more friends. So I gave this question a lot of thought.

I have to give credit to my Dad, without whom I never would have heard of this thing we call Drum Corps. He took me to my first show, signed me up for my first corps(drum & bell by the way) and nearly s### himself when I cam home one day to tell him I was given a spot in SCV. Without him, for good or bad, I never would have done this.

Now with that being said, the one group to have the biggest impact on me is the Santa Clara Vanguard cymbal line. When I was a drooling little kid, sitting on the sidelines watching them, I wanted to be them. I was given that opportunity. So when I left drum corps I didn't think much of it, but when I came back, they had shifted the paradigm so far that, well, I want to be them again. :thumbup:

I hope to do that legacy justice soon. :tongue:

Where to start. There are so many. In the activity it self, Scott Stewart bless his heart for dealing with so much and keeping it together for so long. I am so happy he has kept it going doing what he does so well , in a place he always talked about DCA. John Georgenson, Scott Borma and Craig Mason the power trio for the horn lines of the 80s of the Madison Scouts. Doug Tholo, Todd Ryan, and Greg Drake for making us the Marching gods that we were. Mike Turner for all he did for our Corps, nothing like learning how to streatch. And then there was one more. Ollie May Banks. For 8 yrs, she was the best person in my life. You boys need to eat that food. Kept alot of boys alive on tour feeding us PB&J. The stuff that came out of her mouth when you did the wrong thing was classic. Alot of love came out of that lady. Bless her soul.

TOM FLOAT!!!

Being a rookie in the Kingsmen snareline in 75 Tom was my biggest influence. I remember him hounding me time after time to keep my thumb solid on my index finger of my left hand. After nagging me enough he pulled me out of the line at practice and made me stand at the side with my thumb on my index finger for an hour. Tom was at times like a drill seargent when building his lines....but we all know the outcomes of his famous lines....nuff said!