Who had the biggest impact on your corps experience?

Jimmy Russo...for impressing my mom enough that she brought me to a drum corps practice in 1979.

Bill McGrath, Jr....for teaching me how to play

Tim Stodd....for teaching me how to play well

Brian King....for his example

Mr B...for giving us a chance to be spectacular...and we were :)

Tom Peashey... talking my mom into letting me stay in the corps when I was screwing up, for giving me jobs (like cleaning the bingo hall when I was 15), being a mentor and a friend, and giving me fun stuff to do with dca...even this year!...Attending his HOF induction was pretty cool, too.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The King K90 contrabass.

noshoes86a.jpg

Gail Royer. But after spending the past two days with VK, I must admit the man that made a difference 25 years ago, is still making a big difference today--Jack Bevins.

Edited by BigDale

Mr John Zimny... For having patience with me and helping me to become the man I am today.

Mr Richie Hodges... For teaching me how to play well.

Mr Chris Nalls... For teaching me how to play LOUD!

Mr Karl Sarff... For teaching me attention to detail (and for putting up with me and my bari mates for 6 years)

Mr Michael Grogan... For teaching me about the heart and soul required of being a Freelancer

Mr Paul Zimny... For teaching me how to be ######!

Mr Charlie Anderson... For giving me a strong relationship with cranberries (if you were there you would understand)

Mr. Hy Drietzer for moving me to french horn and introducing me to mid-range...turned out I just loved all those wiggly parts in the middle :-) I enjoyed it so much more than soprano.

Mr. George Hopkins for teaching me about excellence, what work was, what was worth working incredibly hard for and that everything in life is a choice. I can choose to excel and then work my keister off everyday to demonstrate that choice or I can chose not to excel and wander through life. It's up to me and no one else.

Mr. Hy Drietzer for moving me to french horn and introducing me to mid-range...turned out I just loved all those wiggly parts in the middle :-) I enjoyed it so much more than soprano.

Mr. George Hopkins for teaching me about excellence, what work was, what was worth working incredibly hard forand that everything in life is a choice. I can choose to excel and then work my keister off everyday to demonstrate that choice or I can chose not to excel and wander through life. It's up to me and no one else.

Nice note, there.

Hy was one of the first to understand the power middle voices gave to a horn line. He was a stickler for control on that little mouthpiece - great life lesson for me.

If our instructors like George didn't give us that important work ethic, we would not be talking about them decades later.

Bravo

Puppet

• 3 weeks later...
The King K90 contrabass.

noshoes86a.jpg

Gail Royer. But after spending the past two days with VK, I must admit the man that made a difference 25 years ago, is still making a big difference today--Jack Bevins.

Gail Royer - He is a legend; everything he touched he made better; from being my 2nd grade music teacher till when I got drafted into the Army - he was always teaching me (and still is)

Keith Markey - What a genius! Always forward thinking; truly a musical genius and a great friend!

Mike Moxley - For taking this kid who didn't know what a bugle was and taught me to play

Pete Emmons - watched him take this wild group of Californians (SCV 68) and taught them about precision and marching; always amazing to see him teach a full corps show that was only in his head (no dot books...).

:thumbup:

Edited by amadorj

• 2 weeks later...

H. D. "Prof" McCosh, who was the first director of the Sky Ryders. Took a bunch of kids to new levels of excellence, not only in drum corps, but in life. I don't know where many of us would have ended up in life without his direction. (Sky Ryders 1955-1960)