Who had the biggest impact on your corps experience?

Wow.....I don't have just one person over all the years so here goes....

Steve Cooley...came to our corps in my 3rd year and stayed a few. I had the great honor to work with him with the Rochester Crusaders a few years ago.

Corky Fabrizio...wrote and taught our corps in 1972 and I also got to learn more from him in 1990 with the Crusaders.

Ted Key......came down from Canada and wrote the brass book in 1976 as well as 1977 (we folded) before the season began.

Bob Suhina and Craig Fattey...I spent a couple of months with Imperial Regiment in the winter and learned alot from them but I enlisted in the Army and didn't march that season.

Donny Allen....What a treat it was for me to work with him at Cru a few years back and I believe is one of the best brass instructors in DCI and DCA.

My brother Jim for allowing me to tag along to St Joes rehearsals.

Ed Cozzolino for allowing me to play with St Joes.

Larry Seeley my first drum corps instructor.

Corky Fabrizio for demanding excellence from my playing.

Vince Bruni for pushing me into believing in myself.

Bill McGrath Sr. for pushing me into applying for the the WDCHOF.

Roman Blenski for keeping his corps traditional and on the field year after year.

Donny

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See you at DCA?!

I will be there. Not performing with the corps this year, only with our Brass Ensemble at I&E. We are staying at the Strathallen - how about you?

See you there!

Thought for sure you'd say...John Nolan!

Jimmy Russo...for impressing my mom enough that she brought me to a drum corps practice in 1979.

Bill McGrath, Jr....for teaching me how to play

Tim Stodd....for teaching me how to play well

Brian King....for his example

Mr B...for giving us a chance to be spectacular...and we were :)

Tom Peashey... talking my mom into letting me stay in the corps when I was screwing up, for giving me jobs (like cleaning the bingo hall when I was 15), being a mentor and a friend, and giving me fun stuff to do with dca...even this year!...Attending his HOF induction was pretty cool, too.

Just a little corps with a little name to throw in the ring.

Larry Creilson-

He was a bari in the Reveries and later a drill instructor for North Star.

He was there the first day our corps had M&M practice and recognized my desire (not to be confused with talent).

He never stopped pushing me to grow beyond my limits and learn to expect nothing less than my best every time out.

I can still see that beat up blue Camaro and the worn sandals stepping out of it and standing a little bit taller knowing he was watching.

I will be there. Not performing with the corps this year, only with our Brass Ensemble at I&E. We are staying at the Strathallen - how about you?

See you there!

At the Red Roof Inn and partying with the old boys from MN Brass (Frank the Beard, et al.) at the DoubleTree. See you!

My brother Ron Phillips for putting up with his little 15 yr old brother joining his corps

Mike Newsome - Snare/Snare tech for seeing something in this cymbal player from his last year to put him on top bass in 84.

Jim Dugan - we all learned a lot from him

Ted Swaldo - for bringing the corps back from the ashes in 1984.

Renee Armbruster - For letting the Drum Line guys come over to her place, where the guard was staying, to party.

And to everyone I marched with in the bluecoats for making those 7 years the best seven years

Scott Stewart!

Ditto, and he continues to be a positive influence on the activity.

• 4 months later...

Jeff Perkins -Director of Avant Garde Turned my life around and was second father to many of us. He was the Heart and Soul of Avant Garde. Without him, there was NO Avant Garde. He had a way of getting the most out of us without being a tyrant

Dom Delra - Music Guru I had the most respect for him of any adult I had ever met (By the way,,Many of you don't know him, But Dom actually designed the Mellophone When he was the musical director for the Interstatesmen, and was manufactured by Whaley Royce Horns

Chet - Kaiser said it best about him. Great guy, and we all miss him

George Ross - told it like it was,,,NOT how we wanted to look at it.

Jerry Kaiser - Loved Drum Corp,, OUR DRUM CORP.(AVANT GARDE) Totally devoted, totally Loyal, Totally a great leader for many of us (even the OLD ones)

There were many others, but these are my standouts

Edited by BariBrian