Who had the biggest impact on your corps experience?

• My dad who for years tried to get me to join the Blue Devils. I refused.
  • My sister, once in. Couldn't let her make it to the A corps before me. We started and ended our BD A corps careers together; 81-85 (Laura skipped out 83 and 84).
  • Jerry Seawright - class and confidence with a winning style.
  • Wayne Downey - loved the way he arranged things and he was no-nonsense.
  • Jack Meehan - the non-stress approach to making us great.
  • John Oppetisano - not sure who was more excited about being with the Blue Devils. The members or John. His excitement was contagious and his constant confidence building messages as well as getting us to constantly push ourselves helped give us that "attitude" that's associated with the Blue Devils.
  • Tom Float - I wasn't in the drumline, but the way Tom ran things was amazing to see. Another no nonsense approach coupled with being laid back and expecting nothing but perfection.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard "Ike" Ianessa - recent DCI HOF member. Our "drill instructor" and so much more in my life.

Jim Buckley - my drum instructor. Taught us to "play though the drum" with musicianship. But a sincere gentleman and mentor.

George B and Patsy. My second parents. Reinforced the values of my own. Who in this day and age would make the sacrifices for thousands of kids, while raising their own family?

Frank Devilla - For saving our lives that night in 1988. Best bus driver and drum corps dad ever. Always there with his wife to support their daughter and all of the members of Northern Aurora. I quite literally think everyone on that bus would be dead had it not been for Frank climbing back into his seat and steering us to safety.

Scott Stewart - Just for the way he woke us up every morning ... and his consistently positive and calm tone that gave me power.

Shorty Bartholemew - For treating us like we were nuts and Godly. Always knew how to break the tension with a poop joke or just telling us we were crazy for doing what we did.

Frank Williams - For MAKING us play musically. For making us emote. For making us listen.

All of my lead sop bro's (no matter where I marched). Some of the best people I have ever met in my life. Because of you ... everyone else I have ever met has been a disappointment as human beings ... way to go guys! It just proves that drum corps people are a rare breed..... and it makes the rest of the mere mortals a total disappointment.

Jeff Kievit.

One of the first people that I met in drum corps. Lucky me! Incredibly talented, dedicated, intelligent, driven, intense, loving, hard-working, passionate, spirited, professional, and funny. Jeff is also a great motivator, and he made a huge impact on my life, both on, and off the field.

Thanks, Jeff!

Charlie Groh

Charter member of VK after they split from Anaheim Scouts

VK baritone and contra beast

Scout helicopter pilot, Vietnam

Our "crazy" M&M guru, VK 72-73

Anaheim Kingsmen M&M 1974

Hawthorne Muchachos M&M 1975

VK - many, many years; many, many cool ideas

Impulse - See last line

Jersey Surf - See the line before last

Garry in Vegas

PS He also took my avatar picture

Edited by CrunchyTenor

There are many to whom I owe a debt, but these are the most important by far:

John Sasso, for graciously answering all my naive questions and allowing me to "take the sopranos" every so often.

My mother, Rita L'Eveque, for saying "Frankie, you really like that horn. I think you should go where it takes you".

All of the folks I have taught over the years - I have learned so much from you all - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I learned a ton about playing and teaching from my BD gurus Wayne Downey and Jack Meehan. Can't leave off Jim McFarland and Rick South - teaching with them was a great honor.

All of the folks I have taught over the years - I have learned so much from you all - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

:thumbup::blink::blink:

See you at DCA?!

My brother Jim for allowing me to tag along to St Joes rehearsals.

Ed Cozzolino for allowing me to play with St Joes.

Larry Seeley my first drum corps instructor.

Corky Fabrizio for demanding excellence from my playing.

Vince Bruni for pushing me into believing in myself.

Bill McGrath Sr. for pushing me into applying for the the WDCHOF.

Roman Blenski for keeping his corps traditional and on the field year after year.

Donny