What is "bando"?

FAIL. There are a lot of "bandos" out there who would never in their lifetime be able to do what it takes to march a season in DCI. Some people can hack it, some can't. Such is life. Please stop insinuating that anyone who cares to hold an instrument is on the same level as someone who has the kahonees to make it through a summer marching drum corps. There is a big difference. Period.

i would agree with you.

it depends how you define bando though, whether the two are in conflict. if one were to take it that all who do this drum corps activity are the subset of bandos who can take what a drum corps summer throws at them. Sort of a square-rectangle thing.

However, if you define it as defined above, those who are newer or ignorant of a lot of the marching idiom, then the two would be pretty exclusive.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To me a Bando is someone who isn't Drum Corps qualified. If you earn your jump wings you have the right to blouse your boots higher.

I consider MOST bandos to be the uneducated folks of the marching world. Or to put it more simply, they are the virgins of the Marching arts. They've fooled around with the activity for a while and think they are the shiz but have little to no concept of what drum corps is, never been to or seen a video. They don't realize that most of their show is derived in some part from a previous corps show. Those bandos that have been initiated into the world we know as drum corps are apt to be amazed by everything their first show they ever see. They'll run back to their director and say that "this and that" should be done in next years show.

Bandos are not bad people, they are just ignorant in most cases. What they don't know is not hurting them.....well I guess that could be debated. Such poor air support in MB these days.

Bando shows are the ones you could probably see a high school band performing. Cheesy arrangements, gimiky drills and often complex or obscure themes which are depicted in the guard. A bando show is something you could very well see at a BOA show. (Props, miked solos/soli,electronics, props, flashy guards and oh yeah...props)

That.

god save their souls. "i was once a bando...but now i see"

I hear you there. I too was a bando but I was fortunate enough to have the breakthrough. My post was sort of describing myself and a couple close HS buddies of mine....back in the day.

we are all bandos.

To folks who have no idea why we all spend so much time talking about this summer marching band thing, this is true - like that sports writer guy whose name doesn't deserve to be typed out. To most of my colleagues at work, my devotion to this activity (which is actually very limited in the big picture of things) is quite the mystery. I get teased a bit from a couple of folks - a remnant of those high school days when picking on bandos was a sport, I guess. But I just say "well, what I really am is a drum corps geek, and let me take you to a show someday." (no, they've never agreed to go. Yet.)

I had to laugh also at the shakos. It drives me NUTS! Like someone else already said, I want to run up to them and whap them on the head to push the brims down!

Personally, honestly, that pejorative gets applied to anyone who values their own comfort above the corps/band/whatevergroup looking or sounding good. The people who wear their shakos way back, as was mentioned, either because it's "easier to see" or because they can't be bothered to figure out how to set a ponytail around the shako, rather than fitting the shako around their normal ponytail.

The people who don't hold their horns up, or stand with their feet apart, or slouch, because "who cares?" or they're tired.

The people who don't stand still at parade rest (or whatever their particular group's stand-by is), the people who stroll onto the field rather than march. That slump and stumble rather than extend up and roll the feet.

Not all marching band people are Bando; the Bandos are the people that have given high school marching band a bad image.

Especially saxophone players.

Now monkeys inherit the earth and sit, scratch, and squeal.

loll that sounds like the Cavaliers fan girls or whatever they call themselves.

Personally, honestly, that pejorative gets applied to anyone who values their own comfort above the corps/band/whatevergroup looking or sounding good. The people who wear their shakos way back, as was mentioned, either because it's "easier to see" or because they can't be bothered to figure out how to set a ponytail around the shako, rather than fitting the shako around their normal ponytail.

The people who don't hold their horns up, or stand with their feet apart, or slouch, because "who cares?" or they're tired.

The people who don't stand still at parade rest (or whatever their particular group's stand-by is), the people who stroll onto the field rather than march. That slump and stumble rather than extend up and roll the feet.

Not all marching band people are Bando; the Bandos are the people that have given high school marching band a bad image.

Especially saxophone players.

Heh, have you seen Spirit take the field this year?