DCP going down the tubes?

btw, I belong to a chess site that has something similar in place.

Fast Player Groups, Sicilian Defense Group, Australian Group.

There are many, many groups with different focus. Some in style of play, some geographic, whatever. If I want to start a new game or tournament, I can choose someone at large or I can specify one of these groups.

If I want to join one of these groups, I have to apply and if accepted, I'm expected to play/behave in a certain manner.

If I want to start my own group, I can -- just set the criteria, send out invites and monitor. If my group doesn't follow my "charter" and I'm lax in enforcing it, then sooner or later, others stop wanting to join and/or solicit games.

Just an example of what I'm talking about :worthy:

Edited by Liam

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is WOW.

What great ideas !

Geeeez, I leave to go get shots in the knees and all the bright ideas come out.

I guess I won't be allowed to post in any of "those" threads ? :worthy:

All I can say is WOW.

What great ideas !

I guess I won't be allowed to post in any of "those" threads ? :worthy:

Already have you on my (imaginary) default list of allowable posters :smile::wall:

All I can say is WOW.

What great ideas !

I guess I won't be allowed to post in any of "those" threads ? :thumbup:

For the record, and this is a few pages old, but we don't put any threads in this forum to "die." We get accused of that about once a year, and every year I say, "no, we put it here because that's what this forum was created for." It's the same reason we don't leave DCA threads in the World Class forum - sure, they'll get more traffic, but there's already another place for it. And yes, I *am* the authority on that. :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone so far for the suggestions - keep 'em coming.

Mike

Oh #### ### :thumbup:

( wow, a compliment on DCP :worthy: ? I don't know how to react :thumbup: )

Ouch....I did think your post was good for the record.

The idea of starting topics and then only allowing those users that the OP deems as "acceptable" goes against everything that this site is about.

What makes the OP the authority on that? What if the OP only wants to allow those users to reply that share their same point of view? Heaven forbid should someone else not share their point of view! I for one think that Santa Clara's show this year is exquisite drum corps at its very finest but someone else out there might think they are a steaming pile of dog doo. Whilst I would disagree with them (because they would be clearly wrong :thumbup: ), I would certainly be interested in hearing why they feel that way. If they cross the line between constructive and well thought out posting and trolling, we have the "report" feature which I would highly reccomend to be used.

Simple fact is DCP, since its inception in 2001 has been all about open, honest and frank discussion on all matters drum corps. As DCI morphs ever closer towards the realms of marching band and gains more "main stream" popularity, naturally the make up of our membership will change accordingly. Things we may have discussed in the past amongst our own little like minded clique are now being discussed by people who just a couple of years ago may not have had anything to talk about here. Subject matters will change and the way we discuss them will as well. As long as we stay within the guidelines, DCP will remain the pre-eminent site for the discussion of marching arts. Over the years we have discussed a wide variety of subjects, many of them controversial. Since the inception of DCP, we have dealt with any key instrumentation, the debacle that was the folding of Magic, the controversy surrounding Capital Regiment, amplification and voice, 150 members and most recently electronic instrumentation. Often times discussion on these subjects has been well mannered and well thought out. Other times discussions have gotten heated and many have crossed the line. Those that have crossed the line have been dealt with accordingly. One thing remains though and that is that DCP was, still is and still will be here for many years to come as the webs one stop shop for all things drum corps.

To say however that "DCP is going down the tubes" is an absolute farce. The DCP staff, administartors and Moderating Team work their backsides off as volunteers, giving of their own free time and I for one am not prepared to take a beating here lying down. Do a google search for drum corps and see what is top of the list.

Wash, rinse, repeat ......... got it.

you're right, the current setup is infallible ... steady as she goes.

Okay .... so ...

The idea of starting topics and then only allowing those users that the OP deems as "acceptable" goes against everything that this site is about.

And yet the OP is allowed to request his/her topic closed at any time, so this site does allow some content control by the OP, now doesn't it

What makes the OP the authority on that? What if the OP only wants to allow those users to reply that share their same point of view? Heaven forbid should someone else not share their point of view! I for one think that Santa Clara's show this year is exquisite drum corps at its very finest but someone else out there might think they are a steaming pile of dog doo. Whilst I would disagree with them (because they would be clearly wrong :thumbup: ), I would certainly be interested in hearing why they feel that way. If they cross the line between constructive and well thought out posting and trolling, we have the "report" feature which I would highly reccomend to be used.

One thing that does bug me about this site sometimes is PEOPLE WHO DON'T EVEN READ THE WHOLE FREAKING POST TO WHICH THEY ARE SO HOLIER THAN THOUGH REPLYING!!!! (All due respect :thumbup:)

I specifically said that you probably wouldn't want to only allow like-opinioned responses, although I did provide a narrow instance where that might be desired. This happens today all the time, btw, with threads like "Colts Appreciation Thread" and the like, where the OP is soliciting niceties and has the right to request the thread closed if the thread goes awry. If someone wants to start boring threads that no one wants to read, then soon enough no one will want to post in them either and said threads will go away ... just like now.

What I was clearly getting at, however, was that IF THE OP WANTS, he/she could restrict posts only to those who can argue properly (e.g., no trolling. no bashing, no personal attacks, etc). Or maybe he/she only wants the opinions of FMM's on a certain topic or only the perspective of pro-amps people on a certain show, or whatever. Heck, it was only a suggestion anyway!!!

Simple fact is DCP, since its inception in 2001 has been all about open, honest and frank discussion on all matters drum corps. As DCI morphs ever closer towards the realms of marching band and gains more "main stream" popularity, naturally the make up of our membership will change accordingly. Things we may have discussed in the past amongst our own little like minded clique are now being discussed by people who just a couple of years ago may not have had anything to talk about here. Subject matters will change and the way we discuss them will as well. As long as we stay within the guidelines, DCP will remain the pre-eminent site for the discussion of marching arts. Over the years we have discussed a wide variety of subjects, many of them controversial. Since the inception of DCP, we have dealt with any key instrumentation, the debacle that was the folding of Magic, the controversy surrounding Capital Regiment, amplification and voice, 150 members and most recently electronic instrumentation. Often times discussion on these subjects has been well mannered and well thought out. Other times discussions have gotten heated and many have crossed the line. Those that have crossed the line have been dealt with accordingly. One thing remains though and that is that DCP was, still is and still will be here for many years to come as the webs one stop shop for all things drum corps.

Agree completely. I was only offering a way for certain posters to have a new way to provide an outlet for certain communications if they so wish. Not taking anything away, just trying to suggest a different, additional approach if so desired.

To say however that "DCP is going down the tubes" is an absolute farce. The DCP staff, administartors and Moderating Team work their backsides off as volunteers, giving of their own free time and I for one am not prepared to take a beating here lying down. Do a google search for drum corps and see what is top of the list.

I don't believe that "DCP is going down the tubes" either (Neither does the OP, btw -- he stated quite clearly that that was for "shock value", but again, gaining that knowledge would have required reading the thread before posting.) I very much appreciate the work the admins and mods do and my suggestion was intended to take some of the pressure off of the mods by allowing OP more opportunity to control their own threads rather than just complaining afterwards about the path they took, that's all.

If it's a crappy idea, then it's a crappy idea, but I would at least appreciate a reasoned response without so much smack-down (which, ironically, only goes to bolster my idea me thinks) :worthy:

Edited by Liam

I do love Granny Smith's postings. Always insightful, and funny.

Drum Corps is subjective and everyone has things they do and don't like about it.

I am all for freedom of speech. I enjoy hearing others views of a specific corps. I don't get offended by it unless it turns ugly and if it does I ignore it.

I have been on this site for many years and don't think it is any "worse" or "not worse" that it has been in the past.

I am grateful for it.

My favorite part is the postings at the show.

Go DCP and thank you.

Wow, you guys are getting slow. It took seven, long hours to get this to the "customer service" forum.

What was the harm in letting this thread playout in the original forum? Or is it that you wanted to bury it so no one would read it? Just curious.

The OP has some good points that deserve a good debate, something it will never get here because nobody reads this forum.