DCP going down the tubes?

Pretty sure we all have jobs, real lives, etc and this was posted overnight. I know I don't scrutinize every topic before I run out the door for work

The 'harm' was it was off topic to the DCI forum. We have a customer service forum, and that is where this discussion goes, but I guess you also didn't get the chance to read every post in this thread that already mentioned this common sense fact.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, six pages of discussion and over 1400 views in a 24 hour period is hardly being 'buried'. Plus the Customer Service section still pops up to the top of the active topic list every time there is a new post for everyone to see, right? (just like now :thumbup: ) If there was any intent to hide this, it would have been to either close it, change the title to something less 'shocking', or maybe affixed the CS section so it would not act the same as the other sections and let it slide slowly back into the archives.

And I do agree that the OP has brought up some really good -EXCELLENT- points for consideration, and I hope this thread will continue to some more meaningful and thoughtful discussion - But let me personally please point out that 80% of what the OP originally presented had to do with the behavior of posters, and only the last paragraph mentioned and appealed to the mods to 'help clean this place up'. Some have chosen to morph the discussion into something more venomous, and to be quite honest, kind of proving the OP's original points. But there are still a few pearls to be found here, and again, I hope to see more good thoughts come from it.

....yes, I am one of "them".....I feel so cheap..and....dirty....(not really! :thumbup: )

Good morning all

All -

Haven't posted here in several years, and after this short contribution, I'll go back into lurk mode.

The OP ask "DCP going down the tubes?"

A provocative title, that's for sure...

When I founded DCP we didn't have much.

Frankly we had nothing, 3 members, a 9.99/mo web server account...

A Domain name "drumcorpsplanet.com" and the tagline "this is a drum corps planet"

But we DID have one thing: a vision.

So let's dig out that original mental check list and see if its (so far) "Mission Accomplished", "Work in Progress" or "DCP going down the tubes"

1. Become the premier marching-arts discussion fan-driven website in the world.

A. Mission Accomplished

2. Become a "fan friendly" site appropriate for users aged 14 and over (limit vulgarity, crude content...)

A. Mission Accomplished

3. Use parallel sites focused on Percussion, Guard & Marching Band Activities to "drive awareness" about drum corps

A. Mission Accomplished... but room for growth! Original premise was MBP would run about ten times the user base of DCP - just because of the vast number of participants in competitive marching band vs. drum corps. DCP has barely scratched the surface on MBP's potential we saw in the original vision. So tag this one "a work in progress"

4. Become "Self Supported"

A. Mission Accomplished. When John bought DCP I knew at the time it was being transferred to a good steward.

5. Put RAMD effectively out of business.

A. Mission Accomplished. I strongly believe it was a blight on the activity, hurting its image and damaging its participants, staff members and various member organizations. On the internet reputation is everything, and fleeting. RAMD was having a very damaging impact on the reputation of the activity we all love.

6. Build a site which would protect the copyright concerns of the drum corps organizations

A: Mission Accomplished, DCP continues to do a terrific job of removing links of concern

7. Start a forum where true "drum corps nuts" can gather on the internet and interact, network, share, discuss and debate their shared passion without fear of personal attack, SPAM, etc...

A: Mission Accomplished - but requires constant work

8. Disperse drum corps news and information with daily updates through links, original content, columns & member blogs

A: Mission Accomplished, although the blog aspect has lost steam, and the original vision contained more video/audio and live webstream content - frankly DCI Fan Network is that missing aspect originally imaged for DCP

9. DCP Drum Corps Image Awards - annual "web awards" for drum corps related content.

A: Was Accomplished, but I believe for only 2 years

10. Become a respected news, information and community hub within the "powers that be" who run the activity and its member corps

A: Mission somewhat accomplished/work in progress. The powers that be read the site all the time, but actual participation has been limited. Instead they LURK. The origional vision included more live "hosted chats", guest columnists, etc... This sort of content remains more limited than we had hoped. So: a work in progress.

So - overall - DCP has accomplished much.

And no where on this list is DCP "going down the tubes" - discussions are cyclical - things will flare up, and then subside - happens in about 18 month cycles depending on the topic arc

Yes - sometimes "loosely moderated discussion" can get a little messy...

But oh it's so much fun, and so addicting!

DCP has become a "daily destination" for much of the activity!!

In closing, I wanted to add: THANK YOU SO MUCH to all the volunteer DCP staff, administrators, Moderators, Editors etc who give freely and generously their time, passion and faith.

DCP has made a difference and continues to make a difference!

And to John - well done!!

Signing off: happy, proud and back to lurk mode,

George.

Edited by George Dixon

A. Mission Accomplished. I strongly believe it was a blight on the activity, hurting its image and damaging its participants, staff members and various member organizations. On the internet reputation is everything, and fleeting. RAMD was having a very damaging impact on the reputation of the activity we all love.

I attribute that more to she-who-must-not-be-named.....but hey, results are results! :thumbup:

All -

Haven't posted here in several years, and after this short contribution, I'll go back into lurk mode.

The OP ask "DCP going down the tubes?"

A provocative title, that's for sure...

When I founded DCP we didn't have much.

Frankly we had nothing, 3 members, a 9.99/mo web server account...

A Domain name "drumcorpsplanet.com" and the tagline "this is a drum corps planet"

But we DID have one thing: a vision.

So let's dig out that original mental check list and see if its (so far) "Mission Accomplished", "Work in Progress" or "DCP going down the tubes"

1. Become the premier marching-arts discussion fan-driven website in the world.

A. Mission Accomplished

2. Become a "fan friendly" site appropriate for users aged 14 and over (limit vulgarity, crude content...)

A. Mission Accomplished

3. Use parallel sites focused on Percussion, Guard & Marching Band Activities to "drive awareness" about drum corps

A. Mission Accomplished... but room for growth! Original premise was MBP would run about ten times the user base of DCP - just because of the vast number of participants in competitive marching band vs. drum corps. DCP has barely scratched the surface on MBP's potential we saw in the original vision. So tag this one "a work in progress"

4. Become "Self Supported"

A. Mission Accomplished. When John bought DCP I knew at the time it was being transferred to a good steward.

6. Build a site which would protect the copyright concerns of the drum corps organizations

A: Mission Accomplished, DCP continues to do a terrific job of removing links of concern

7. Start a forum where true "drum corps nuts" can gather on the internet and interact, network, share, discuss and debate their shared passion without fear of personal attack, SPAM, etc...

A: Mission Accomplished - but requires constant work

8. Disperse drum corps news and information with daily updates through links, original content, columns & member blogs

A: Mission Accomplished, although the blog aspect has lost steam, and the original vision contained more video/audio and live webstream content - frankly DCI Fan Network is that missing aspect originally imaged for DCP

9. DCP Drum Corps Image Awards - annual "web awards" for drum corps related content.

A: Was Accomplished, but I believe for only 2 years

10. Become a respected news, information and community hub within the "powers that be" who run the activity and its member corps

A: Mission somewhat accomplished/work in progress. The powers that be read the site all the time, but actual participation has been limited. Instead they LURK. The origional vision included more live "hosted chats", guest columnists, etc... This sort of content remains more limited than we had hoped. So: a work in progress.

So - overall - DCP has accomplished much.

And no where on this list is DCP "going down the tubes" - discussions are cyclical - things will flare up, and then subside - happens in about 18 month cycles depending on the topic arc

Yes - sometimes "loosely moderated discussion" can get a little messy...

But oh it's so much fun, and so addicting!

DCP has become a "daily destination" for much of the activity!!

In closing, I wanted to add: THANK YOU SO MUCH to all the volunteer DCP staff, administrators, Moderators, Editors etc who give freely and generously their time, passion and faith.

DCP has made a difference and continues to make a difference!

And to John - well done!!

Signing off: happy, proud and back to lurk mode,

George.

Onr of the funniest posts I've ever read.

Thanks for the laugh George. Uou are FUNNY.

Ouch....I did think your post was good for the record.

And why would you say that ? Because of the ####'s ?

I'm a picker of nits and this is a small problem with censorship. I never typed a curse word. I used the number symbol only. Because DCP uses it for censorship of certain words deemed vulger, it seems you migh have jumped to the conlusion that I indeed used foul language.

I'm sure that it could be checked and attested to that no foul language was used, IF the moderators care to check.

Gotcha..................

I attribute that more to she-who-must-not-be-named.....but hey, results are results! :thumbup:

The best part is that ( for the most part), she doesn't post anylonger now that most of the people who would poke her in her cage with a stick have come to DCP.

Of course theres always the beggar of snares who sometimes show up like a " kack in the box" that must be slammed back n the box.

theres another "she who shall not be named" that posts out of left field.

I guess you also didn't get the chance to read every post in this thread that already mentioned this common sense fact.

It would be nice to know exactly who you are implying is ignorant

Thanks for posting George.

I appreciate you addressing the title of the thread, but I'm still wondering if anyone on the non-user end would care to address the content of the post (and subsequent posts) and not just the last paragraph. It's pretty clear in my Original Post that I'm not directly implying that DCP IS GOING TO DIE. What is going down the tubes is the quality of content provided by a heavy majority of the DCP Community. The sniping, badgering, trolling has gotten far worse of late. Really good threads that require a bit of thinking are being cut to shreads line by line, yet only the line they really want to pay attention to (pretty much like the powers that be have done to this thread).

As Mods and Administrator's, none of the users expect you to read every thread and analyze every post. That's what us nutbags are here for. We know to pull the fire alarm if there's a major major problem. That being said, I would think a thread like this would be taken more seriously by the mods and admins and maybe just listen a bit. Users who bring up issues that could use some attention are doing their part to be good members of the community and point out where things are starting to flush.

So please, stop being defensive and maybe offer some feedback on the ideas presented. A little feedback is pretty important now and then.

I guess it was my mistake for asking the mods to step up a bit or get involved in "Cleanup - Page 32-64". I put it last in the OP because it was the least important in my mind. I still think it is. It wasn't a total "sum it up and blame the mods" or "charge the mods with more work". (10 bucks says this is the only paragraph that gets responded to)

Anyone?

I forgot to mention: Visions and Missions typically change as you grow. It's great to have an original business plan to follow, but that doesn't mean it was perfect to begin with. Part of running a website or business requires flexibility and changing with the times to maintain your strength and keep growing.

Hence, you have some suggestions on how things could be better or done differently with little difficulty. Do with them what you will. I would think Mods and Admins would actually go out of their way to listen to new ideas that would make their jobs easier. After all, you represent DCP. The customer is "sometimes" right.