Noise complaints at rehearsal!

Boulder, CO, had enough noise pollution ordinances in the early 90s that the cops asked us to quit playing... at around 4pm.

IIRC it was an issue there in78 (Finals were in Denver, and there were a bunch more corps back then to find rehearsal space for (like 43 world class, and 24 open class, to use today's terms)). I believe some corps were issued citations, but they somehow were thrown out.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year at all days for Spokane Thunder (open class) this crazy drunk hobo walked onto the field during perc. ensemble rehearsal while we were getting water and pointed at our center snare and yelled in a slurred drunken manner, "ARE YOU THE ONE THAT BEEPS?!!" (referrning to the met.) He then said if he made the beeper beep one more time than he would kill us all. So in a very calm manner our center snare went over grabbed the met and beeped it. Lol the drunk hobo followed with "DON'T F*** WITH ME!!!" and stormed off

later on we were at the same school for 5 days in Wisconsin and this guy came up to us during ensemble on the second day and said "how long are you all here?" We said, 5 days and he said "I'm calling the cops". Anyway, the cops obviously did nothing so to get back at us, he blared rock and roll music from his porch for the rest of the time we were there. On the fifth day, this other guy came up (another drunk hobo) and yelled "Five days is enough!!!" in this crazy accent. We just stared at him like he was an idiot or something.

The bobos who complain about Drum Corps noise are usually the same ones who like 5 mile parades and yell "play something!" from the sidewalk. :thumbup:

Can you imagine being near a BD or Scouts housing site in the mid 80's? Talk about loud hornlines!!

Thank you! :thumbup:

I think we only ticked off one person in 84....and that was a guy visiting Hillcrest Park in the Concord area where the brass line was having a sectional....of COURSE we ignored him!

I think we only ticked off one person in 84....and that was a guy visiting Hillcrest Park in the Concord area where the brass line was having a sectional....of COURSE we ignored him!

In 2007 we had the cops show up many times to stop the our rehearsal we ended up moving to a old parking lot, it was fun talk about a extended lunch break that day.

In 1990 Crown rehearsed in the hole across the street from Memorial Stadium in Charlotte (if you been to the stadium you know the place). It was Crown’s 1st year and we only rehearsed from like 9am till 5pm daily. In the townhomes that faced the field were these yahoos that daily would yell, bang on pots & pans as a last ditch effort placed their stereo speakers on the balcony (they were obviously nocturnal animals). Over the course of the summer everyone wanted to get back at them but the staff always won taking the “higher” road. Then at NightBeat Madison was warming up in the area of this house when these guys started their expression of displeasure. After a while of this, they turned toward the house and “BLASTED” the guys with sound that they could not match.

In 1990 Crown rehearsed in the hole across the street from Memorial Stadium in Charlotte (if you been to the stadium you know the place). It was Crown's 1st year and we only rehearsed from like 9am till 5pm daily. In the townhomes that faced the field were these yahoos that daily would yell, bang on pots & pans as a last ditch effort placed their stereo speakers on the balcony (they were obviously nocturnal animals). Over the course of the summer everyone wanted to get back at them but the staff always won taking the "higher" road. Then at NightBeat Madison was warming up in the area of this house when these guys started their expression of displeasure. After a while of this, they turned toward the house and "BLASTED" the guys with sound that they could not match.

Always amazes me how people think their stereo speakers can even HOPE to compete with a brass line...

In 1990 Crown rehearsed in the hole across the street from Memorial Stadium in Charlotte (if you been to the stadium you know the place). It was Crown’s 1st year and we only rehearsed from like 9am till 5pm daily. In the townhomes that faced the field were these yahoos that daily would yell, bang on pots & pans as a last ditch effort placed their stereo speakers on the balcony (they were obviously nocturnal animals). Over the course of the summer everyone wanted to get back at them but the staff always won taking the “higher” road. Then at NightBeat Madison was warming up in the area of this house when these guys started their expression of displeasure. After a while of this, they turned toward the house and “BLASTED” the guys with sound that they could not match.

haha thats why we love crown so :thumbup:

We would expect nothing less of you! It would be bad drum corps etiquette!

Always amazes me how people think their stereo speakers can even HOPE to compete with a brass line...

I was at a show earlier this summer and Phantom did the encore so my friends and I went up to the front row so we could get our ears blown off and were talking about how we'd rather lose our hearing from loud and intense drum corps brass sound as opposed to those people who go deaf at rock concerts.