Not old enough to know

a marching trumpet

In case you don't have Fan Network, the Renegades are a DCA corps that uses G horns. Some DCA corps use Bb and some use G and can't remember the full breakdown. Warning the 'gades have a motto that "Loud Is Good".

http://www.renegades.org/media/audio/

PS - Agree with Marty on the Olds piston/rotor. IIRC, kind of light in weight compared to my current 3v Kanstul (in G) but could project the sound VERY well. Just had to be careful not to overblow.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are pansies these days. That's why the switch.

In case you don't have Fan Network, the Renegades are a DCA corps that uses G horns. Some DCA corps use Bb and some use G and can't remember the full breakdown. Warning the 'gades have a motto that "Loud Is Good".

PS - Agree with Marty on the Olds piston/rotor. IIRC, kind of light in weight compared to my current 3v Kanstul (in G) but could project the sound VERY well. Just had to be careful not to overblow.

"G" Bugles":

If you want to hear "G" bugles (Usually played REALLY LOUD :tongue: ) catch the DCA "Alumni Spectatular" this Labor Day weekend. They'll have 9 'Alumni' corps there, with eight of them blasting away on "G" pipes. Preston Scout House being true to their 'Bugle Band' heritage, is in 'Bb".

No "Amps" (Or any other "New Age' devices) will be needed.... :tongue:

Elphaba

Oh and the difference between the two, from what I've been told it's the length of the lead pipe (BFD)....

I have to differ with you on this. In the case of the middle and low voices, this is true. There isn't much difference in the design or sound of the horns, and the only change is the length of tubing.

The upper voice, though, is where the difference comes in. The differences between a soprano bugle and a trumpet are more distinctive, and this is due mostly to the difference in the shape of the bore, and not the length. Trumpets have a bore that is essentialy the same size over the majority of the length, and flare out mostly in the final 1/3 of the pipe. Bugles, on the other hand, have a bore that is more conical, like a horn or euphonium, where the bore expands over most of the length, only really remaining constant in the area of the valve loops. This gives the trumpet a "darker" and more controlled sound than the bugles, and is probably what leads to the generalization that the trumpets are more in tune, which isn't always true, they just project fewer of the overtones, and thus sound more tame.

I have to differ with you on this. In the case of the middle and low voices, this is true. There isn't much difference in the design or sound of the horns, and the only change is the length of tubing.

The upper voice, though, is where the difference comes in. The differences between a soprano bugle and a trumpet are more distinctive, and this is due mostly to the difference in the shape of the bore, and not the length. Trumpets have a bore that is essentialy the same size over the majority of the length, and flare out mostly in the final 1/3 of the pipe. Bugles, on the other hand, have a bore that is more conical, like a horn or euphonium, where the bore expands over most of the length, only really remaining constant in the area of the valve loops. This gives the trumpet a "darker" and more controlled sound than the bugles, and is probably what leads to the generalization that the trumpets are more in tune, which isn't always true, they just project fewer of the overtones, and thus sound more tame.

Oh who cares about the higher voices. :tongue::tongue:

That's why I usually add a caveat like "I've been told that...". Thanks for the info, I'll have to go to Kanstuls website and start checking some specs. Being a techie instead of a musician hard numbers would sink in better. :fight:

Oh who cares about the higher voices. :tongue::tongue:

That's why I usually add a caveat like "I've been told that...". Thanks for the info, I'll have to go to Kanstuls website and start checking some specs. Being a techie instead of a musician hard numbers would sink in better. :fight:

Well, this is an "I've been told..." also, but I have a lot of respect for the guy that did the telling. When you look at spec, bear in mind that most manufacturers give bore specs as measured at the valve cluster, and don't often publish flare rates. (at least I've not seen them).

The main reason why G to Bb is (well this is what DCI intended) to ease the financial burden on starting and sustaining Drum Corps in the activity. The thought was that if you can use any keyed brass instrument then it would be easier to obtain horns since there are more manufactures producing Bb horns then G's and that High Schools, out reach programs, youth groups, or just a bunch of people who have a dream of starting a corps etc...could even use borrowed or use loaned horns from area high schools to use there horns! This makes the activity more accessible to more groups. Of course this was the initial intention...which is almost Ten years ago now.

Hope that helps some.

bracknbras

Im to young to remember im only 16 so im wondering why did the drum corps switch from G bugles to Bb trumpet? I keep hearing some people say G was the thing to have, others say that the Bb made it all better, whats up? and what is the difference between the two?

They sound really good, how big are they/

....my Brain just exploded...........