Musically, it's one of my favorites... especially the percussion. Visually, I hated the guard costumes and I don't particularly care for the drill, but found it to be a fairly entertaining show live, and became one of my favorite corps shows in iTunes.

I agree,

I love this show musically - but I agree that visually this show was sub par - from the panels to the drill to the ending guard costume. And that's to bad - because this is the show that I listen to the most - I just don't watch it,

Later,

Mike

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all those that say they should have won drums. The lot footage of that line reallly shows what intricate writing Rennick does for them.

Great music marred by some questionable visual choices - guard costumes (Pocahontas mated with a sparrow, and then suddenly, white with chevron?), blue feathery sashes and gauntlets (Aunt Fran from Albuquerque's sofa), photo panels of clouds (me likey Photoshop). I also didn't think the "flocking" drill was as effective as they would have liked. Came across more as people running like crazy in a line.

After the really beautiful detailing they had done the previous year with Faust, it just didn't cut it, and brought a great musical show crashing down to earth. For pure listening pleasure though - total A+.

Phantom has the best mello line year in and year out IMO. Last time I checked its hard to make a mello sound pretty and lush like a concert French horn, which it technically is supposed to represent. (Granted I wouldn't say they are supposed to sound the same since they are different venues.) But a mello line that rips your face off with massive runs and cool licks is what is supposed to be about. Cadets '00 know what I'm talking about.

Cavies usally have the 2nd best mello line every year.....for what its worth.

PR 2006 > PR 2007 > PR 2008

I know MANY will not agree with me on this, but hey, it's my opinion. :tongue:

PR 2007 grew on me over the course of the season, and then after listening to it once I got the Championship CDs. I can't watch it though. I didn't like the visual package at all. I didn't like the guard unis, the change in gauntlets (and the baldric? or whatever it's called). The music is FANTASTIC though. The Flower Duet is one of my favorite parts, along with the opening stuff from the pit. Phantom has put out some great shows over the last 5 years.

So thanks for keeping us all entertained, Phantom Regiment! It's greatly appreciated. :tongue:

love this show. great music that was arranged wonderfully from front to back. incredible percussion section. the fact that they didn't win drums blows my mind. don't get me started...

I followed (some call it stalking) Phantom that year while working Food Crew for The Academy. I did njoy it from the stands and loved watching a rehearsal or two. It kept growing on me and and brought me to tears at Finals. That said I know why it did not place higher and most of us agree it was the visual elements.

The funny thing is I would have never have thought I would listen to anything as much as I used to listen to 2003 and 2006. When it comes to pure listening pleasure I think 2007 is the ultimate example of what makes Phantom so Phantom. By far the best complete music book and performance I have ever experienced in Drum Corps. Other shows may have moments I like better but 2007 is pure DCI bliss to me.

I thought it was alright, but the Billy Joel fan in me was in awe of the Cavaliers (especially the closer) and I loved the Cadets show (narration gave me a headache) and Crown was especially fun, so I really thought it was an overrated show at the time. Visual was a bit dirty IMO, but a fine corps musically.

incredible percussion section. the fact that they didn't win drums blows my mind. don't get me started...

Not quite a big a screw job as the '89 Cadets drumline got, but still an injustice.