One of my favorite shows of all time. Seriously. That intro is phenomenal and the effect it creates sets up the very progressive and entertaining opener. The duet, when nailed, was terrific, the solo at the beginning of firebird was beautiful and the closer was very powerful, IMO.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love that show.

Every movement is great; I never lose interest.

To me it's part of their OREO trilogy. My favorite part of an Oreo are the two cookies. 2007 is the cream filling between the 2 cookies of '06 and '08.

This :tongue:

This is probably my 2nd favorite show ever (next to Spartacus). The pieces flow so well together and I get to hear music from some of my favorite composers (Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Glass). Although the music is the best part, I thought the visuals were quite outstanding as well. While the drill may not be able to stand on its own (like Cavies' drills can), I thought it fit the music perfectly. Also, the percussion feature in the 3rd movement is probably my favorite drum section of all time. The modulations between duple and triple time are just phenomenal.

And SCV 2003... yes, that is probably in my top 5 favorite shows as well, and definitely my favorite SCV show. I must have very similar taste as the OP.

Amazing show! my 2nd favorite in 07 behind BD

Musically, it's one of my favorites... especially the percussion. Visually, I hated the guard costumes and I don't particularly care for the drill, but found it to be a fairly entertaining show live, and became one of my favorite corps shows in iTunes.

I didn't remember them when I went to finals in 2007.

The only thing that really stuck out in my mind when I ordered the DVD is how loud the end of their opener was.

Underrated show. I think it was one of my favorites of the year. Definitely top three musical repertoire of the year.

Loved the show, particularly the opener (one of the best they've ever done). Musically they were strong overall (much, much stronger than the Cavaliers ahead of them), though their brass ensemble sound got very harsh during most of their fff sections, including the ending. The middle voices, especially, overblew terribly in some spots. Visually, I liked the bird theme, but the drill demand and execution just weren't there compared to the corps ahead of them (7th in Visual Performance, 6th in Guard). The drill sets leading into the wedge at the end of the show were terribly designed (very blah visual for very exciting music).

Overall, I think 4th was about right for them (the Cavaliers were much, much stronger visually), although I would have had them closer to the Cavaliers and further ahead of Vanguard based on the strength of their musical program. Their musical GE score (6th? Really?) was way too low, IMO. Somewhere in the mid- to upper-95s sounds right. I loved the show when I saw it at Finals, and they remain one of my Top 3 musical programs from that season.