This show will always have a special place in my heart. It was the very first live corps show i saw, and have loved it ever since. It is a bit underrated, but it certainly should not have won. Still a great show that i could watch over and over again!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the show, particularly the opener (one of the best they've ever done). Musically they were strong overall (much, much stronger than the Cavaliers ahead of them), though their brass ensemble sound got very harsh during most of their fff sections, including the ending. The middle voices, especially, overblew terribly in some spots.

I LOVE Phantom...but when is this not the case?

Should have beat Cavies and won drums IMO.

Completely agree. That would have been such an awesome surprise on finals night.

(it's a rehearsal video, so I think it's ok. Sorry if it's not)

Probably in my top 5 shows of all time. Music was the best part of the show. The drill was a step up from previous years.

For those that are not a fan of Phantom's sound that is your opinion, but its been that way for a while and I LOVE IT!!! Peel the ####### paint I say.

Oh and the end where they are jazz running AND playing balls to the wall is one of the best moments I have ever seen in DCI. It amazes me to hear how many people hate on that part. Watch the video and tell me you can do better. (That is aimed at the "haters")

Show gets :tongue: :tongue:

It's easily my favorite show from '07. Musically speaking, no one else was that entertaining that year. And boy, was that hornline haulin' ### during Firebird.

For those that are not a fan of Phantom's sound that is your opinion, but its been that way for a while and I LOVE IT!!! Peel the ####### paint I say.

Phantom's my favorite corps; always has been, always will be. I don't know how ANYONE could NOT be a fan of the Phantom sound. But overblowing isn't the Phantom sound.

No doubt, their hornline almost always walks that fine line between maximum power and overblowing. Sometimes they keep everything under control, and the results are incredible (2008, 2006, and the badly underrated 2004 show). Sometimes they go a little bit too far, and you get that fuzzy, furry, harsh sound. It usually seems to hit in the closers, when the corps brings it TOO much. 2007 is one example. 2003 is another: one of the biggest Musical GE closers of all-time, darn near ruined by some TERRIBLE brass overblowing (listen to the last minute of the show and tell me you can't hear about a dozen horns sticking out of the ensemble in a bad way).

Look, I'm not claiming to be J.D. Shaw or anything but I do know what good brass intonation is. I guess the knowledge of just how good they usually are/could be makes it more painful when they go a step too far, especially when it happens at or near what should be the biggest impact point of the show.

YMMV.

though their brass ensemble sound got very harsh during most of their fff sections, including the ending. The middle voices, especially, overblew terribly in some spots.

That was my first reaction when I got done listening to it. I remember the mellos having such an edge, especially at the end, that it was just too much. Other than that, I thought it was a solid musical show but was somewhat lacking visually. Overall I thought it was a great show though!