Be Careful

Be Careful when uploading videos onto that one website that we aren't supposed to mention on here. I uploaded a few harmless rehearsal videos that I thought would be no problem and "the tube" fired back and deleted my account: all 70 (other) videos and friends, subscribers and favorited videos.

BE CAREFUL! They won't warn you if you violate a copyright issue, they'll just zap your account like its meaningless. I learned the very hard way and am now trying to figure out what to do. :( :( :( Hundreds of hours of work gone just like that. Its really frustrating.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be Careful when uploading videos onto that one website that we aren't supposed to mention on here. I uploaded a few harmless rehearsal videos that I thought would be no problem and "the tube" fired back and deleted my account: all 70 (other) videos and friends, subscribers and favorited videos.

BE CAREFUL! They won't warn you if you violate a copyright issue, they'll just zap your account like its meaningless. I learned the very hard way and am now trying to figure out what to do. :( :( :( Hundreds of hours of work gone just like that. Its really frustrating.

thats a surprise. usually rehearsal videos are left alone, there are lots from the past several years that are easy to find.

something to be aware of though.

You were the one that posted the topic about the Cadet rehearsal right? Perhaps one of the staff asked them to be weary of anyone posting vids? I know it's happened to a friend...so possibly that happened...if it is you that I'm thinking of!

You were the one that posted the topic about the Cadet rehearsal right? Perhaps one of the staff asked them to be weary of anyone posting vids? I know it's happened to a friend...so possibly that happened...if it is you that I'm thinking of!

oh no that wasn't me but I know what topic you are talking about! That was someone else though.

Yeah they cut the sound to one of my guard shows I posted from a year ago. We went through the legal steps to use the song so I don't understand why after a year they would cut the sound? It's not even a professional video.....it's mine!

Yeah they cut the sound to one of my guard shows I posted from a year ago. We went through the legal steps to use the song so I don't understand why after a year they would cut the sound? It's not even a professional video.....it's mine!

Sigh. No, it's not yours unless you keep it totally to yourself and are using it for personal purposes like studying it for future ideas. Even then the videotaping of it is not always legal in the first place. If the show announces prohibitions of videotaping equipment, then you already crossed a legal line.

The show design is the ensemble's, and the music is held by a music publishing house and/or composer's legal entities and is used with permission by the ensemble. Here's a close analogy: you go to a movie theater and take a video of whatever recent film is playing. You post it on the website-not-to-be-named. You're illegally transmitting copyrighted material that has its own huge set of legal constraints.

Whether or not we think it's right or logical doesn't matter. It's the law.

I think it's time high school curricula included a course every year that addressed these legal issues so people understand it before they wind up on the nasty end of this legal sticky wicket.

Sigh. No, it's not yours unless you keep it totally to yourself and are using it for personal purposes like studying it for future ideas. Even then the videotaping of it is not always legal in the first place. If the show announces prohibitions of videotaping equipment, then you already crossed a legal line.

The show design is the ensemble's, and the music is held by a music publishing house and/or composer's legal entities and is used with permission by the ensemble. Here's a close analogy: you go to a movie theater and take a video of whatever recent film is playing. You post it on the website-not-to-be-named. You're illegally transmitting copyrighted material that has its own huge set of legal constraints.

Whether or not we think it's right or logical doesn't matter. It's the law.

I think it's time high school curricula included a course every year that addressed these legal issues so people understand it before they wind up on the nasty end of this legal sticky wicket.

Terri,

I know that we have to get copyright clearance in several areas for our guard shows......using the music itself, if we plan to cut or edit it in any way, rights to use it publicly, and also the right to videotape. WGI and local circuits both have pretty strict guidelines in place now about making sure all the bases are covered.

I too would think that after we do ALL of that, "the tube" should at least ASK before they delete things. It's happened to me too.....we have the copyright clearance for videos to be made and distributed of our performance and the music we used, and uploaded videos to use for teaching purposes with our kids. They deleted the sound from videos without any warning or opportunity for me to show them any copyright info before it was done. VERY FRUSTRATING!!

~ginger

Edited by justgin

***tube has taken down two of my videos. One was a clip of the Cadets in performance; the other was a full performance of a WGI guard that my friend marched in. Both were during the actual performances at DCI/WGI sanctioned events, so I get it.

Seems to me that the Cadets office actively searches for those videos to get them removed.

I have some other videos posted that haven't been touched. There are probably thousands of videos that have been up for years.

Either way, they sent me a warning both times and removed the videos. I got to keep my account.

It could be that someone from a music licensing corporation saw it online, maybe even the company you purchased the rights from, because you probably needed to get the New Media Performance/Master Use/Mechanical License.

They have people who work for them, whose only job is to look up possible cases of copyrights violation via a search engine or youtube.

Just because you apply for the rights to perform it in your circuit or WGI or for them to distribute it on DVD, this doesn't mean you paid for the right to do something like have it on thattube.

I'm not an expert, but there are several categories of licenses to apply for, and paying for one doesn't mean carte blanche.