West Coast Inflation Theory

Troopers and Bluecoats have been competing on the west coast while Cavaliers and Madison have been in the midwest.

based on most recent scores, Cavaliers are 0.35 up on Bluecoats. If you look at the trends across multiple shows, Cavaliers and Bluecoats should be within about one point of each other. So, if Cavaliers beat Bluecoats by more than one point, it suggests that Bluecoats scores were inflated.

Likewise for Troopers and Madison. Their latest scores have Troopers up by 3.6. But Madison has not competed in a few days. If you look at the score projections, Troopers should be ahead by about 0.5. If that's legit, then Troopers should beat Madison tonight. If Madison beats Troopers, it suggests that Troopers past scores were inflated.

Counter-arguments:

1. West Coast inflation only applies to WC corps. Bluecoats and Troopers are excluded.

2. West Coast includes CO, so everyone's scores will be inflated tonight.

3. This doesn't take into account show changes and rehearsal time.

My predictions:

1. Cavaliers, having made substantial changes and practiced their rears off, beat Bluecoats by about 1.5

2. Madison has also made changes and practiced intensely. However, the judges may be less impressed. Hence, their score goes up, but Troopers stay ahead by 0.5 to 1.0.

since when were coats and troop not corld class corps? Unless I'm taking WC the wrong way.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

since when were coats and troop not corld class corps? Unless I'm taking WC the wrong way.

he meant West Coast.

It seems to me if wci exists it has recently done a great disservice to the #4 West Coast corps (excluding special one-year guests and including Troop and BK). We all know what ballpark BD, SCV and BK are in each year but look at the last two years for #4. The Academy was ranked as high as 10th before all of the corps competed together in 2007. They finished 13th and then a big drop in 2008. PC was 12th early in 2008, finished 17th and looks like a drop in 2009. Right now Troopers are 12th. "If" that is inflated and they finish 3 or more spots lower, does that have a negative effect on their future?

This is not scientific and I’m too lazy to look back further than two years. My point, if I have one, is: Why would East and Midwest people be mad about wci? It seems like more of a problem for the West Coast 12th place hopefuls that it affects than those who feel slighted by it EARLY season from afar.

So, rise up left-coaster, embrace and complain :whistle: about wci!!!

Edited by OICMR corps

Unfortunately for experimentation's sake, we can't isolate location as the only variable to test.

You also have:

1. Rate of improvement - Cavies improve faster than Bluecoats and Troopers (a possibility, not my opinion)

2. Different judges - Not the same crew at both shows, west and midwest

3. Execution - Any corps has an off-night or best-ever night

4. Misc. variables - numerous other possibilities

With these other variables possibly not remaining constant, the scores may fluctuate and may make it look like inflation, but it's not necessarily the case.

this.

</thread>

I hypothesize that IWC is unprovable.

my bad... by WC I meant "West Coast"

Interesting that DCI would choose the same initials for "World Class." hmmmm........ :whistle:

Haha, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

And I don't think "corld class" really fits "WC" very well. my fault, usually I catch those things.

...but is it disprovable?

or just some poorly-defined concept that will keep people debating forever and ever.

Well, I'll just say that the burden of proof lies on the prosecution. Those who really believe that Iwc exists have to prove it.

I laugh every time I see a topic on this. I could post stats against the West Coast Inflation theory like I do every year, but what's the point? The same people will be posting the same stuff next year anyways. If WCI is real, then there should be stats which show a steady pattern of west coast corps/shows scoring higher than those in Midwest, East, and Southeast. And how those scores relate when all the corps meet up. I have still have never seen those stats..Why? Because there are none. Or maybe, just maybe..... Different shows, different corps, different spreads, different panels...But no, that's just too obvious.