West Coast Inflation Theory

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I laugh every time I see a topic on this. I could post stats against the West Coast Inflation theory like I do every year, but what's the point? The same people will be posting the same stuff next year anyways. If WCI is real, then there should be stats which show a steady pattern of west coast corps/shows scoring higher than those in Midwest, East, and Southeast. And how those scores relate when all the corps meet up. I have still have never seen those stats..Why? Because there are none. Or maybe, just maybe..... Different shows, different corps, different spreads, different panels...But no, that's just too obvious.

west coast definitely has a lot of evidence when you look at lower placing corps. How many times have raw scores made it look like a score like mandarins, pacific crest, and academy (last year) have shots at finals, when they ultimately place much lower.

west coast definitely has a lot of evidence when you look at lower placing corps. How many times have raw scores made it look like a score like mandarins, pacific crest, and academy (last year) have shots at finals, when they ultimately place much lower.

Yes!!! When I was marching Pacific Crest in 2004, our brass score was almost 2 points higher than Phantom Regiments!!!! We were stoked! :whistle:

But when we met head to head at the first regional, we were able to watch them rehears for an hour, and we soon realized that we were not better... :whistle: It was a nice thought! But, no where near reality!

I said it before and I'll say it again. There are too many variables to actually prove something like WCI. You can track scores all day long but the numbers aren't reflecting merely location.

I said it before and I'll say it again. There are too many variables to actually prove something like WCI. You can track scores all day long but the numbers aren't reflecting merely location.

There you go. West Coast Inflation is so rampant that we even recognize it by its acronym.

It's East Coast Insecurity, actually.

OR

Drum Corps Unreliability!

It may not be just that the west coast is inflated. Merely a product of having 2-3 different groups of corps together and the west group never mixing with those out east. That can generate some scoring disparities, in which case it would be possible to have east coast inflation, but typically under the WCI theory the west group tends to skew higher. I think we might have started to see that in the east group earlier as well, when crown and cadets shot up and came back down.

As of right now though, the only thing inflating in this thread for sure is my postcount.

Postcount++

WCI cure.

DCI West. Stanford University. June 26, 2010

Featuring:

Blue Devils

SCV

Cavaliers

Phantom

Cadets

Bluecoats

Crown

....you get the picture.

Yeah I know, it's not fair to expect these corps to travel. BD is only visiting the West, Southwest, Midwest, Southeast and Northeast. Completely snubbing the Northwest. Slackers.