If ya had to pick just one aspect

What would you pick?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Music vs Visual

• Visually awesome, musically bland
    • Musically awesome, visually bland

Music. I think the activity has become visually focused today, whereas previously it had been musically focused. I'd love to see the pendulum swing in the other direction. I'd say 65% music, 35% visual would be good criteria for judging. After all, only a fraction of the audience at any show is high up enough and close enough to the 50 to actually see the drill, but everyone can hear the music, so why should they be judged equally?

very good point.

It should always be about the music first. If the music doesn't grab me, I'm not interested.

agreed

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really surprised myself... as I first read the poll I was about the click on "music" because I am such a "music" person... but then I actually though about it and picked visual. Honestly I think they are both equal, but for this I gave the nod to visual because that, to me, is what really sets this activity apart from all others. I can hear really great, exciting music from a symphony, big band, or whatever other music performing ensemble there is.... but you can't see anything like what drum corps do visually anywhere else. Also, I realized that some of my favorite shows (Samurai, Winged Victory, Frameworks) are rather simplistic musically.

Having said all that... maybe if I was at a show live, I would rather have great music... it's just that by far the majority of my drum corps viewing/listening has been through DVDs and recordings, where the music is far less impactful, but the visual sometimes is more impactful (high-cam).

I don't know about anyone else, but I know for me... though I would rather have a nice package of music AND visual, good visual without good music can keep my attention for MAYBE a minute. Good music without good visual, on the other hand, could at least keep my attention the whole show.

Music is great but in drum corps if you aren't doing something interesting visually I may as well go to a concert instead

If the visual is good but the music isn't there you may as well play with a spirograph.... :thumbdown:

I don't know about anyone else, but I know for me... though I would rather have a nice package of music AND visual, good visual without good music can keep my attention for MAYBE a minute. Good music without good visual, on the other hand, could at least keep my attention the whole show.

Well - we all stuck around for enough encore performances which were always stand-still. How exciting would a silent drill run encore be?

Obviously the best shows out there captivate the audience both visually and musically but if you had to pick, which would you prefer?

1) A very visually appealing show but with pretty bland music that doesn't really wow you

2) a visually boring show (nothing all that special) but with music that has you jumping out of your seat

Music.

Otherwise lets just change the name of this activity to...... " Visual Ensembles "

I would choose music over the visuals. Probably because most of my exposure to DCI has been through finals CD's.