20th Anniversary of "The Frack"

I stumbled on this thread too, but it is funny.

I was there and do remember where I was at "the exact moment" of the "Frack".

Saw the poor guy in the parking lot after retreat, sitting on curb, just staring at the pavement.

It really is not funny. Had to hurt something awful. He is still probably in therapy over it.

There is a story from Sir Richard Burtons 1001 Arabian Nights which has some weird parallells to this. In it the main protagonist Abu Hassan commits a grave social blunder which causes him to leave his homeland in shame and embarassment and 20 years later he wants to know if he can return to his home hoping everyone has forgotten it. To his dismay he learns that the people in his home now mark dates by his blunder.

The Historic Fart of Abu Hassan

This is real please don't delete because of the subject matter.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Devils show that year as well is all of the 80's. I liked it much better than the 90's Devils music.

An interesting aside when speaking of whether the guy stayed involved in the activity is who stays involved and who does not. I can understand him not being involved because of his experience in 1989. But what I do find interesting is who among my friends still follow the activity and those who do not. Obviously, life outside of Drum Corps takes us other places.

But some of stay connected by watching scores and paying for fan network or driving long distances to shows. While others have no connection whatsoever. I was having dinner with a friend of mine last Saturday who was involved by marching and teaching a top 12 corps most of the 80's and 90's. He now doesn't have any connection to Drum Corps. He has no negatives about it he just lost interest. There was a show 5 minutes from his house last week but didn't attend. He didn't even know there was a show. I just find it interesting what happens to the relationship between Drum Corps and the members that have participated through the years.

Drum Corps is like any other activity in this regard. Some Pro Athletes after they are done playing, that's it... they are done, and don't even watch the games again on TV, let alone go to the games. I had a neighbor growing up that won a lot of national Amateur Men's Tennis Titles. He went all over the country playing and came in the top 3 in most all over them for a few years. He even made the Olympic team as a stand by alternate He moved away, and my wife and I bumped into him a few years back and we chatted. We asked if he still played tennis. He said hadn't picked up a tennis racket in years. We asked if it was tennis elbow or another injury. Nope, he said. He just lost interest, and doesn't even play it recreationally any more despie being only in his 50's. He golfs now he said. On the other hand, I know people who served in the military or were busy with careers, children, etc who have now gotten back into Drum Corps, softball, baseball, golf, and tennis..... and do these things or follow these activities now more than ever as now they have more time to do so. I know lots of folks who have reconnected to Drum Corps after being removed from following it for years, sometimes even decades. The growth of the Alumni Corps and all the Corps with Reunions going on the last 2 decades is an example of that reconnection.

Edited by BRASSO

I know right were I was... in the tunnel under the stadium with the Cavaliers waiting to march out. I felt so completely sorry for him! I mean, SURE we wanted to beat BD that year... but you never want a soloist to have THAT kind of night.

Oh, and while on the field in retreat, I was standing on the side next to the Devils and was chatting with one of the Devil's sops. I told her how much I liked their music and I think she said something about how it would have been better if their soloist hadn't completely "s*** the bed".

That was the first time I'd ever heard that phrase, and I think I nearly laughed my a** off.

Then we then shared lemon drops that she'd smuggled onto the field.

Good times.

I know right were I was... in the tunnel under the stadium with the Cavaliers waiting to march out. I felt so completely sorry for him! I mean, SURE we wanted to beat BD that year... but you never want a soloist to have THAT kind of night.

Oh, and while on the field in retreat, I was standing on the side next to the Devils and was chatting with one of the Devil's sops. I told her how much I liked their music and I think she said something about how it would have been better if their soloist hadn't completely "s*** the bed".

That was the first time I'd ever heard that phrase, and I think I nearly laughed my a** off.

Good times.

LOL :tongue:

I well remember the "GASP!!!" that raced across the audience when that happened. Watching the taped video when I got home was even more striking, as you could see the up-close body language visuals of him trying to sque squeee squeeeeeeeze the notes out. Instead he just got a strangled goose. Tragic.

I told her how much I liked their music and I think she said something about how it would have been better if their soloist hadn't completely "s*** the bed".

Good times.

That's how I've always heard it described...those exact words. Maybe they were handed a memo or something--talking points.

Aside from that, I LOOOVE that opener. And he played the hell out of that solo all season. Was scary great. Hearing the finals performance live, I was like :ph34r: couldn't believe what i was hearing. Remember staring more at the drum major to see what he'd do. Someone, anyone, bring order to this...make it stop. Fix it.

So when I want to hear BD 89 I listen to my old cassette tape, and it's like it never happened, for as long as the tape plays.

:tongue:

Edited by festive

Drum corps is full of these moments. Both negative and positive. The Frack. the Tear (SCV '82 - finals). The Train Wreck (Cadets '84 - Whitewater). The Lick (Suncoast '86?).

Any others y'all can think of?

Drum corps is full of these moments. Both negative and positive. The Frack. the Tear (SCV '82 - finals). The Train Wreck (Cadets '84 - Whitewater). The Lick (Suncoast '86?).

Any others y'all can think of?

The Whitewater Wipeout....gotta use the correct term!