Blue Devils show

Ya. I mean I can't pull out a drill book and show you anything. But when the shapes are long lines the whole time, and only jazz running at the end, there isn't much proof needed. You can look at somoene drill, like say the cavaliers, and see diagonals all over the place. You can see blocks, andI do understand that not all drill has to be geometric, but I do also know that at those tempos, it is harder. Yes archs, and curves are hard. But when that takes up most of your drill book, and there is barely any movement, than its difficult to call that "hard" drill. My evidence is just purely to watch a show. Ofcourse thats not "valued" evidence, so therefore my oppinion isnt "valued". And also, I dont really "hate" any corps, because usually if there is a flaw with the show design/music/drill, its not the marchers fault alot of the times. Its the design teams fault. So I wouldn't say I hate BD. One more thing, when I am talking about BD, I'm talking about the more recent BD. like the 2000 and beyond. I do not hate Bd because they win all the time, its more that the years that they do win, there are shows below them that IMO had more to offer demand wise. But then again, none of us can control any of that. Who ever has a cleaner book should win, along with execution. I guess overall, I wish judges would pay more attention to visually demand and give it more credit.

Someone close this thread... I'm losing it!

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya. I mean I can't pull out a drill book and show you anything. But when the shapes are long lines the whole time, and only jazz running at the end, there isn't much proof needed. You can look at somoene drill, like say the cavaliers, and see diagonals all over the place. You can see blocks, andI do understand that not all drill has to be geometric, but I do also know that at those tempos, it is harder. Yes archs, and curves are hard. But when that takes up most of your drill book, and there is barely any movement, than its difficult to call that "hard" drill. My evidence is just purely to watch a show. Ofcourse thats not "valued" evidence, so therefore my oppinion isnt "valued". And also, I dont really "hate" any corps, because usually if there is a flaw with the show design/music/drill, its not the marchers fault alot of the times. Its the design teams fault. So I wouldn't say I hate BD. One more thing, when I am talking about BD, I'm talking about the more recent BD. like the 2000 and beyond. I do not hate Bd because they win all the time, its more that the years that they do win, there are shows below them that IMO had more to offer demand wise. But then again, none of us can control any of that. Who ever has a cleaner book should win, along with execution. I guess overall, I wish judges would pay more attention to visually demand and give it more credit.

Totally disagree and this is the problem with the judging today. It's not about clean per se, but about the "what" versus the "how". Why do I love that Scouts 88 won? Because they were nowhere near as clean as BD or SCV, but man, they brought it at finals. ( hope that doesn't offend you Scout guys, but it's the truth). In the judges eyes, the balance of "what" they brought outweighed the little bit of "how" it was achieved from an execution standpoint.

I am close friends with many of the top 12 Brass Caption Heads and one thing they all complain about is that every year the brass trophy often comes down to who is playing the cleanest finals week. It should not alway be this way, unless all corps have the exact same show. How and What is one of the hardest things to gauge as a judge and its truly the most subjective part of judging the marching arts.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Matt_S

Totally disagree and this is the problem with the judging today. It's not about clean per se, but about the "what" versus the "how". Why do I love that Scouts 88 won? Because they were nowhere as clean as BD or SCV, but man, they brought it at finals. ( hope that doesn't offend you Scout guys, but it's the truth). In the judges eyes, the balance of "what" they brought outweighed the little bit of "how" it was achieved from an execution standpoint.

I am close friends with many of the top 12 Brass Caption Heads and one thing they all complain about is that every year the brass trophy often comes down to who is playing the cleanest finals week. It should not alway be this way, unless all corps have the exact same show. How and What is one of the hardest things to gauge as a judge and its truly the most subjective part of judging the marching arts.

Just my thoughts.

Ya. I see what your saying. Idk, I guess I just see it as, if you put hard stuff in your show, and on finals day, its clean, then you get lots of points. You know? I do see what your saying though. I just feel that the judging can be unbalanced some times, but none of us can control that.

Everyone, let's all remember the difference between not liking a show and said show being easy, bad, sucky, etc. etc.

GOOD POST

"I don't like BD's show because..."

BAD POST

"BD's show IS COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY putrid compared to the corps I honk for (Cavies, Crown, PR, etc.), whose show is a gift from God Himself, because I, a person watching a grainy, poorly recorded video, am INFINATELY more qualified to judge a show than a PROFESSIONAL JUDGE WHO IS ACTUALLY THERE ON THE FIELD!!!!1!!1"

Edited by megadrive

You mean after the mob attacked?

It doesn't matter where he marched, truly, if you're weighing the merits of his arguments. It appears the only reason folks were asking about that was to bash his corps or attack his capabilities--ad hominem arguments.

I didn't see much in the way of trying to dissect specific show elements to establish the ease or lack thereof to rebut/refute his contentions. There were bits that I found interesting that actually spoke to his criticisms; most of what I read involved ad hominem attacks. Just so y'all know, from here, it appears he's pwned everybody who ignored his criticisms and launched ad hominem attacks. Not that I think you care, just providing it as an outside observation.

I'll leave off and let you continue the bashing now.

First, I could really care less where he marched (unless it was SCV). I just found it odd he would say he marched with a championship world class corps and yet not say anything about it. Also, I will never take anyone serious who says "BD's show is so easy I could of marched it in the 9th grade" and then stated it as a "fact". You call that a criticism? Sorry, but I call that stupidity. Oh, and the "pwned" comment was great! Haven't heard that since....well I guess the 9th grade.

Everyone, let's all remember the difference between not liking a show and said show being easy, bad, sucky, etc. etc.

GOOD POST

BAD POST

"BD's show IS COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY putrid compared to the corps I honk for (Cavies, Crown, PR, etc.), whose show is a gift from God Himself, because I, a person watching a grainy, poorly recorded video, am INFINATELY more qualified to judge a show than a PROFESSIONAL JUDGE WHO IS ACTUALLY THERE ON THE FIELD!!!!1!!1"

WHOA, WAIT!! We aren't more qualified than the judges? :thumbup:

GOOD POST

BAD POST

You left out, "and I could throw that rifle 10 with my eyes closed!" :thumbup:

First, I could really care less where he marched (unless it was SCV). I just found it odd he would say he marched with a championship world class corps and yet not say anything about it. Also, I will never take anyone serious who says "BD's show is so easy I could of marched it in the 9th grade" and then stated it as a "fact". You call that a criticism? Sorry, but I call that stupidity. Oh, and the "pwned" comment was great! Haven't heard that since....well I guess the 9th grade.

So someone could march Blue Devils drill, and insult at the same time!

This is what I love about DCP....

The Crown vs. Cadets rivalry has turned into a Crown vs. BD rivalry even though those two corps have yet to go head-to-head....

And just because I can't help but join in on the love fest that is this thread:

I hate BD.

I hate the Cavies.

I hate the Scouts.

I hate Holy Name.

I hate PR.

I hate BLOOOOOOOOOO.

I hate Crown.

I hate SCV.

I hate Blue Stars.

And I hate the Blue Knights.

Anyone corps I failed to mention was only omitted because they're not even worth my hatred.

INT is pretty cool though.