Diabetes

alright thanks guys... got the pump and the sensor so I'm set.

Don't forget to talk to your physician that manages your diabetes, there might be some specific tolerance testing to be done! Good luck!

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Wow....seven years since the last post! I've got a Euphonium player who made the Purple Team at Crown last November (before turning 15), who has had Type 1 for half his life. He's working on being good enough to be a MM in the next summer or two. I marched 3 years so I know the demands... but a Mom will worry!

Would love to hear from some recent T1D's who have marched!

talk to your doctor

while i concur (don't look for medical guidance on DCP) i don't think she (a Mom after all) was looking for medical advice. more like looking for current or recent MM's in similar situations to share their experience.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I know the doctor-speak. I'm well versed in what it takes to march these days. I DID want to hear from some kids or recent age-outs that have been through it!

• Like 1

I'm not a recent age out, but my son is Type 1 and marched two seasons with a top 6 corps. His mother and I had some serious concerns, but he (and the corps staff/admin/food folks) made it totally possible. You would not be out of line at all discussing the details with ALL of the people who will be involved with your son's care. It can be done. Advise your son that it is still HIS responsibility to do the right things and to let the people helping know when he needs to take care of his health needs over anything else. (Not always an easy thing for a young person to do.)

I can also tell you that when we visited the corps for the first time during spring training when we met his caption head the very first thing he said was "I'm aware of your sons medical condition and we will stay on top of it." INSTANTLY made us feel better and I can say that for his two years the corps did stay on top of it.

I wish you and your son the best.

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 2

glad you concur

lots of eccentricities with how diabetes manifests itself

Lots of eccentricities in Drum Corps as well (& DCP in particular).

Just make certain the staff & the members close to you in the drill know what any early warning signs are that you are about to have an incident.

I'm not a recent age out, but my son is Type 1 and marched two seasons with a top 6 corps. His mother and I had some serious concerns, but he (and the corps staff/admin/food folks) made it totally possible. You would not be out of line at all discussing the details with ALL of the people who will be involved with your son's care. It can be done. Advise your son that it is still HIS responsibility to do the right things and to let the people helping know when he needs to take care of his health needs over anything else. (Not always an easy thing for a young person to do.)

I can also tell you that when we visited the corps for the first time during spring training when we met his caption head the very first thing he said was "I'm aware of your sons medical condition and we will stay on top of it." INSTANTLY made us feel better and I can say that for his two years the corps did stay on top of it.

I wish you and your son the best.

Thanks :bigsmile: He is very determined to not let the medical condition keep him out of it. I've talked to Jim Coates about his reluctance the first time a T1D marched in Crown, but he said it all worked out and everyone just learns to deal with it. But you know as a parent, that we don't get a second chance to handle a dangerous situation that gets out of hand sometimes. I appreciate your input! How is your son these days?

• Like 1