Blue Stars beat Phantom

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And secondarily about HNC beating Crown :tongue::smile:

Ooops...I missed that

As much as I hate it, PR seems to kind of blow off Texas, not really wanting to put its best foot forward down here. Their choice. Personally, I'd want to show off in a market like this. Apparently, barely winning by 0.05 is good enough, and losing in Texas doesn't count in their eyes.

When the trophy has your name and your name only on it, yeah, that is good enough.

Thats not Pioneers first win of the year but either way, very cool.

I am super excited for Blue Stars. Wow, can you imagine how that whole organizatin feels today?

I'm getting chills just reading this thread! ;-) They've been bringing it since Stillwater - can't wait to see what happens this weekend~!!!

Why SO Many injuries??????

Straight Leg technique+200bpm+crazy drill+20-30lb drums+weakened immune systems= injuries

Luckily nothing TOO serious (a good friend that marched QB in '03 tore a hip flexor with 3 weeks left in the season - ouch)

Having just watched the Blue Stars VOD, I believe that even though they just beat Phantom, they still have a lot of room to grow in their show. They have a great show but there are a lot of musical issues with brass and percussion which, if they improve on, could push them even higher this year.

This is very true. Stars beating Phantom is definitely is NOT one of those cases where the winning corps just had an easier product that was much cleaner. They have as much, if not more, room to grow as far as cleaning is concerned. This will be one of those shows where they will be cleaning till the "sweet" end.

To continue my psuedo-review, I didn't think I would like the props but they were very, shall I say, enjoyable! I saw them practicing with just the bare tables and I was just wondering, "I'm not getting it yet." They weren't a distraction, mind you, and they made for some cool moments when the hornline was somehow jazz running around them without wiping out...but the purpose wasn't evident yet. They made total sense in the show when they were "dolled up." Again, Stars were my favorite show last night. I think Crown may be my favorite by season's end when they have the finals intensity. I'm very excited for Stars and my friends on their staff. Way to go guys!!!

Thanks for clearing that up. Ya, I did mean the 3 captions, not the whole board.

Pretty solid, it looks like Phantom will not be a contender for a top 6 spot. However, they're still a phenomenal corps, and it's kind of cool to see a corps with that kind of power duking it out in the middle of the bunch. Blue Stars vs Boston vs Glassmen vs Blue Knights vs Phantom. The 7th through 11th battle will be very interesting this season.

You are soooo right! This is what struck me last night. After Mandarins marched off the field I was thinking to myself "these guys are near the bottom of the pack?!!!" In my day, they would've been an outstanding finalist corps. Now they won't even sniff the top 12.

Speaking of Mandarins, I thought they got jobbed last night. They were much more on top of their show and solid than any of the corps ahead of them up until the Crusaders (well maybe Spirit too). At the very least, they deserved to be higher in brass. I may not be good at placing other captions, but Brass I feel I have a good handle on what the judges are listening for. They were sooo much better in tune, had better balance and blend, and better tone quality than all the corps ahead of them till Spirit. I feel they sounded better than G-men as well. I won't mention names cuz I don't want mommy and daddy to get upset, but there were some corps ahead of mandarins who struggled mightily with tuning throughout their show and who did not seem to have the same command of their instruments. I really can't remember, but maybe the Mandarins don't have the same visual demand and therefore that's why they sound so much better. Maybe their brass book is considered less demanding by the judges and therefore they are being penalized despite better execution. All I know is, is that they had several moments that they really pushed up into the stands (this is not just volume mind you) and I didn't get that again until Spirit or maybe not even until Crusaders.

Anyway, the long-short of my rambling is, I can't believe how talented and entertaining these corps are from top to bottom!!! Yay...good for me!!!

Perhaps the biggest "holy ####!!!!" moment, but the biggest "bull ####!!!!" moment remains 1992 finals...bigger crowd. 'sides, and not to take anything away from Stars...it was cool when Blooo topped BD and Cavies couple years ago...Crown beat PR two years recently and PR whooped 'em at the end.

As much as I hate it, PR seems to kind of blow off Texas, not really wanting to put its best foot forward down here. Their choice. Personally, I'd want to show off in a market like this. Apparently, barely winning by 0.05 is good enough, and losing in Texas doesn't count in their eyes.

Again, that's just my $0.02. Congrats, Blue Stars! Maybe if I started honking for Brad Green's team PR would take note and move their calendar up two weeks. An alum can dream, right?

Hey Silver, have PR's struggles this year really surprised you? Throughout the off-season I was thinking they would struggle and here's why. This is just my observation, but it seems that PR will really fall off the map within 1 or 2 years of a really successful season. It's like they might put 3 years together that are really solid and steadily climbing and then POOF...they fall about 3 or 4 places if not more. Their trending is quite different IMO from the other elite/championship caliber corps in that if BD, Cadets, or Cavies fall off, its maybe 1 or 2 spots, but they usually land back in the top 5 at worst. I don't know if it's purely a design thing or if their epic years are chock full of vets that just will it to happen or maybe both. Have you ever noticed this? I really really hope PR is able to catch their breath again quickly. I don't want to see them disappear from the top 5 for a stretch like they did after '96.

Hey, don't forget to give me an honest review of SA...PM me if you think it's not fit for the sensitive ones :)