so, do the Blue Stars have the longevity?

I think it's something that's seriously overlooked here on DCP. We see corps rise, and expect them to stay there. We see them fall, and we always expect to see them return to the top. Often times we're guilty of looking at scores and recaps from one night, and expecting those same results to carry to the next night. The Houston scores last night were obviously quite a surprise. The fact that the Blue Stars beat Phantom (and that Boston was 3 tenths behind) was shocking to pretty much everyone.

so the question has to be asked: Will they stay there? Do they have what it takes to stay above Phantom and Boston, and break into territory that is rarely broken into by typically mid-level corps? And if they manage to do that this year, are they built to sustain the success into next year?

I don't think anyone can make a blanket statement that a corps does or doesn't have what it takes to continue to rise, if for no other reason that there's no way to control what other corps will be doing from season to season.

What I am comfortable saying, though, is that the Blue Stars have put into place what's necessary for a long term program of excellence. It's been established at the top of the organization and permeates the corps.

In 2003, a decision was made by the corps leadership to build the corps back into the unit originally conceived by its founders.

In part, it's described in this recollection by Dave Dummer from the early years:

"There were always two parts to the basic concept in the formation of "The Blue Star Jr. Drum & Bugle Corps." The first part had to do with the fact that the vehicle, the corps itself, had to be fashioned to excellence. Not La Crosse exellence, not area exellence, but national excellence. We could be competetitive with the world, not just competitive to participate, but competitive to win. We felt as long as they keep score, it would be less than a good learning experience for members if the vehicle effort would be satisfied with less than a winning performance.

The second part of our junor corps philosophy and the more important in the long run, was that each member must experience a positive learning experience. We wanted the corps to be a community within a community. A community where all the citizens would have a chance to better prepare themselves for the future. If we were to play music then we would teach legitimate music. We didn't want a member to be only a bugle player, but a musician. We would use the precision needed for drum corps as a structural concept that would be projected to everything in a member's future quest to find out how he would contribute to society."

The current corps leadership is heavily weighted by a group of alumni that view the corps in just this manner, believing the place it held in the '70s is the proper place for the corps. I've been impressed by the respect they have for other drum corps organizations and the activity as a whole, and how they work to build up their own organization to compete at the highest level possible. They have the vision, and since 2003 have been steadily building the corps to be able to support this vision.

IMO, it's not a flash in the pan.

here's the impressive thing to look at:

Blue Stars were last a World Class corps in the early 80s. fell all the way to D3, tho had some success. and over the last several years, they have not only rebuilt back to World Class, but continue to improve along the way.

There is a huge lesson here for many corps to learn from if they are smart

they could definitely finish above Phantom and Boston this year.

to break into the top... I don't know. For all the people preseason who were predicting a win for Crown, they are finding it pretty tough this year.

the higher you go, the harder it is to get each next spot. Much easier to go from 14 to 10 than 6 to 2. I can see Blue Stars being consistently in the 5-8 range... higher than that? Not yet.

here's the impressive thing to look at:

Blue Stars were last a World Class corps in the early 80s. fell all the way to D3, tho had some success. and over the last several years, they have not only rebuilt back to World Class, but continue to improve along the way.

There is a huge lesson here for many corps to learn from if they are smart

Amen. I couldn't have said it better.

I believe CC and BS are looking at the long run and to that they both have moved to the next level. Next year no one will doubt that Crown can beat the Cadets or Blue Devils and that Blue Stars can beat Phantom. So they both have moved up a notch in the competitive level. The faster you rise to the top sometimes the faster you fall back down.

Their are 3 dynamics occuring at the same time here:

1) PR is struggling with their show...they are still a top 5 in terms of brass, percussion and music but their show is a bit lost at the moment...that could change but that's already being discussed in about 58 different threads.

2) BAC has fielded a superb production this year and they are cleaning and being rewarded for it.

3) Blue Stars have had 2 winner shows in a row and they are clearly gaining momentum and buzz.

I think that the lesson the Blue Stars can learned from Crown is that you MUST be consistent, show momentum and make positive movement UP every year. PR was poised to finish top 3 last year (which positionally would have been their target) - but they surprised everyone (and maybe even themselves) by landing a direct hit (perhaps a once in a lifetime shot) on the DCI community. But if you look at their positioning, it fits that they were ready and targeting top 3. They were consistent and focused. In the same way, BS should look at the way Crown has set themselves up for success and stay with it.

There are a number of great drum corps stories this year but some of my favorites are BAC, BS and Troopers (and maybe even PIO if they can hold). If these 4 corps stick to their guns, keep a stable staff, strengthen their family group and stay focused they will move up and stay up.

Blue Stars, Great Corps. Howard Weinstein, Great Man.

The way I see it, Howard Weinstein is helping Blue Stars do the same thing he (and many others) did with Boston Crusaders.

At Boston it was go from out of the top 12(1998) , in to the top 12(1999), and into top 5 (2000).

Granted Blue Stars were on this path already, I feel that adding Mr Weinstein to the team made it known that they want it ALL.

In Howards 10 years with the Boston Crusaders they never missed finals.

Are the Blue Stars here to stay? I hope so, The Competition is freaking sweeeeeeet!

(Disclaimer: I know that it isn't one man that makes the difference in a situation like this. Howard is just a great leader. Must have been something he picked up from Suncoast Sound................ Man that was a great Corps.......... I digress... Kudos to the whole Blue Stars Staff!!!!!)

There is a history of corps popping up a few spots only to slide back down...before moving up again. Kinda like gas prices and Crown. The next thing you know, they're consistently high and no one is shocked.

This may happen to BS since they have a strong infrasturcture.

I believe CC and BS are looking at the long run and to that they both have moved to the next level. Next year no one will doubt that Crown can beat the Cadets or Blue Devils and that Blue Stars can beat Phantom. So they both have moved up a notch in the competitive level. The faster you rise to the top sometimes the faster you fall back down.

Well, at least there's one person( me ) that doesn't think it's an automatic that this year or in the next couple of years that the Carolina Crown will beat the Blue Devils. I mean it COULD happen. I just wouldn't bet the farm on it, that's all.