...I completely understand James Barnes' not allowing his 3rd Symphony to be arranged.

Yes, being that "Third Symphony: The Tragic" was composed to honor his son, who died tragically, that's quite understandable.

I've talked with David Holsinger about "The Death Tree" and since it's about the Crucifixion, it's just too personal for him to allow it. He does allow the other movements from the "Easter Symphony."

Each composer has their reasons and if we don't respect their reasons, we've still got to live with them.

It's not like there isn't other music out there waiting to be performed on the field. :tongue:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to get this thread back on track:

Okay, I'll help with that, seeing that I derailed it right after you posted this.

There are quite a number of works that have utilized that same tune. Not all have it coming out of something reflecting disaster, but there have been many treatments.

Yes, being that "Third Symphony: The Tragic" was composed to honor his son, who died tragically, that's quite understandable.

I've talked with David Holsinger about "The Death Tree" and since it's about the Crucifixion, it's just too personal for him to allow it. He does allow the other movements from the "Easter Symphony."

Each composer has their reasons and if we don't respect their reasons, we've still got to live with them.

It's not like there isn't other music out there waiting to be performed on the field. :tongue:

I think it was his daughter Natalie...his newborn son was part of the 4th movement and Finale.

The 3rd movement is called Natalie. (It's been a while since I played it, but I think I'm right...)

and yeah, composers often have different reasons not to allow certain compositions. While disappointing, I can completely see why they would refuse.

...lol I keep hijacking this thread.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Getting permission from composers is a VERY recent thing. Some still don't do it.

BOA has great resources on their site. Here is something I lifted...

Some composers or publishers do not allow band arrangements of the material they own. This is sometimes due to contractual agreements or the prerogative of the composer. The list below is an accumulative list of material to date that has been denied in the past or that the publisher has indicated will be denied in the future. Always check with publishers before selecting your program.

5. "God Bless America"

Really??? This song?

Now imagine if WSS and Malaguena were on the "Do not arrange" list- drum corps would be ####ed. :tongue:

Okay, I'll help with that, seeing that I derailed it right after you posted this.

There are quite a number of works that have utilized that same tune. Not all have it coming out of something reflecting disaster, but there have been many treatments.

True, the Old 100 is often used. I was just pointing out the similarity in HOW it was used.

This "do not arrange" list is so dumb. Music has the right to be shared with the world.

Uh...no. You are free to share any music you write with anybody you choose. You may not make that choice for others.

The music has no rights, only the people.

Other Restricted Compositions:

* Any Beatles song written by John Lennon or Paul McCartney (see above)

Interesting. When we planned our Beatles show, we didn't have any additional hoops to jump through other than pay the fees. (We couldn't afford the fees, which is why we didn't do the show.) I filled out the form on the web site and received a response in about a week, complete with contract to sign. Perhaps corps shows are viewed favorably when compared to BOA shows?

I found this post in this thread

Some composers on some lists actually allow people to arrange their music, they just charge a fortune.

----

Getting permission from composers is a VERY recent thing. Some still don't do it.

BOA has great resources on their site. Here is something I lifted...

Some composers or publishers do not allow band arrangements of the material they own. This is sometimes due to contractual agreements or the prerogative of the composer. The list below is an accumulative list of material to date that has been denied in the past or that the publisher has indicated will be denied in the future. Always check with publishers before selecting your program.

1. "The Easter Symphony - Mvt. 2 (Death Tree)" by David Holsinger

(publisher instructed to deny requests to arrange 2nd Movement only)

2. Music and film scores by John Williams

3. Music by Joaquin Rodrigo ("Concierto de Aranjuez")

4. Music by Charles Ives

5. "God Bless America"

6. "Riverdance"

7. Music by Vincent Persichetti

8. The use of Literary Characters (i.e. from "Where the Wild Things Are")

9. Music and stories of Dr. Seuss

10. "Symphony #3" by James Barnes

11. Works by David Maslanka (Mr. Maslanka will consider personally creating a new commissioned work or arrangements for your band.)

12. "Ritual Fire Dance" by Manuel de Falla

13. Music from any Disney Film less than six (6) months after the film's release.

14. "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff

15. Music composed or performed by the rock group Van Halen.

16. "Barbarian Horde" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

17. "The Battle" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

18. "Progeny" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

19. Music composed or performed by the rock group U2.

20. "She Loves You" by John Lennon and Paul McCartney

21. "Space Oddity" by David Bowie

22. "Welcome to the Black Parade" performed by My Chemical Romance

23. Music and Film scores by Thomas Newman

24. All works by Bruce Springsteen

The following will not necessarily be denied. However, our experience has been that permission may take longer than average to be granted. You should allow a minimum of 6-8 weeks or longer to license these works.

1. Hal Leonard requires that all requests be submitted via their website. You should allow approximately 6 weeks to complete the licensing process. However, the following exceptions should be noted:

* Walt Disney Music: Music from movies released within the past 6 months may not be approved.

* Any music controlled by PolyGram UK (primarily music by Björk)

* Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber requires the approval of his UK office. You will be required to submit your score for approval. Allow a MINIMUM of 3 months from the time to submit your score.

* Music composed/performed by Queen. Hal Leonard is required to obtain permission from the copyright owner in the UK. Please allow a MINIMUM of 3 months from the time you submit your request.

* Music composed/performed by Sting and/or The Police

2. Operas intended for a complete show (mos. to approve)

3. "Boléro" by Maurice Ravel

4. "Turandot" by Giacomo Puccini

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SPECIFIC WORKS

Because Bands of America intends to continue its practice of recording and distributing video products of performances by participating bands at BOA fall events, bands that choose to perform the following works, or works by the following composers, or administered by the following publishers must take additional steps, pay additional fees and/or provide additional permissions in favor of Bands of America and its designees regarding recording, reproduction and distribution of the performance. To find more detailed information and further requirements read Bands of America's Fall Participant Copyright Documentation

Composers (all works):

* Robert Lamm

* James Pankow

* Prince

* John Lennon

* Led Zeppelin

Composers (specific works):

* Björk ("Joga" and "The Anchor Song")

* Paul McCartney (songs performed by The Beatles)

* Bruce Springsteen ("Born In The USA")

Publishers (collections in their entirety):

* Arc Music Group, including Goodman Music, Conrad Music, Sunflower Music, Jewel Music, Regent Music

Publishers (specific works):

* Paramount Pictures (specifically music including the "Mission: Impossible Theme", and music from "Forrest Gump" and "The Godfather" - music from all movies). If you choose to perform songs from other Paramount Pictures movies, please contact BOA as soon as possible so that we may confirm that licensing is available and appropriate for BOA.

* Walt Disney (specifically music from the motion picture "National Treasure"

Other Restricted Compositions:

* Music from any James Bond movie, regardless of publisher

* Music from any Paramount Pictures movie as stated above, regardless of publisher

* Any Beatles song written by John Lennon or Paul McCartney (see above)

* The song "Hotel California" (by the Eagles)

* The song "Break on Through" (and other songs by Jim Morrison)

* The song "Fly Like An Eagle" by Steve Miller

* Music from the Disney "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies

* "Brazil (Main Title)" by Michael Kamen

* "Barbarian Horde," "The Battle," and "Progeny" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

* "Sweet Home Chicago" by Woody Payne

Wow, thanks for posting that. Very interesting.

I have to say I've heard some of those on the field in the band world and I have long suspected not many bother to check with the composer. I went to college at Tn Tech where Robert Jaeger was a professor, and one of the bands in Nashville did part of his "Third Suite for Band" which worked quite well on the field. He was in attendance however, at one of the competitions and was not happy. I suspect there were some talks and transactions after that. I have the utmost respect for the composers and their wishes, but I sure think Thomas Newman's music would make some great percussion breaks if not full corps tunes.

This "do not arrange" list is so dumb. Music has the right to be shared with the world.

You try making a living off of writing music.

It's intellectual property and the only person who should decide if it gets "shared with the world" (or more specifically as pertains to a drum coprs arrangement: hacked into pieces and arranged for brass, drums, and pit instruments) is the composer.

With regard to what people are hearing in Blue Stars this year, BD 97 had a few licks in the opener that came from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, which was supposed to be a no-no.