"Sterile" shows of 2009

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion Santa Clara is the biggest disappointment. I have liked several of their past shows-06 and 07 being my favorites but this year is sooooo unlike them. I realize they had a major staff overhaul but it shouldn't have affected things this much. There's no VANGUARD! moment in the show, the cymbal line doesn't form a V and I'm unmoved by the show. I feel like the show is so one layered. The music is sporadic, being played in little chunks here and there for a good portion of the show until we get to the almighty shaker tune. Yes I realize it is a classic folk melody, and it was great when Blast did it in 2001, but I'm just tired of it. Especially when it is basically the orchestral arrangement transferred to the field. With a standard piece like that, it would be nice to hear an inventive arrangement. I don't know, but that's the one I'm most disappointed with.

The things they are doing well: The balls-out extended chord at the end has a pretty good balance. Hard to do with a chord that long, that loud, and played front field. They also execute the show very well, with the marching and performance aspects. Better luck next year in the show design.

In my opinion Santa Clara is the biggest disappointment. I have liked several of their past shows-06 and 07 being my favorites but this year is sooooo unlike them. I realize they had a major staff overhaul but it shouldn't have affected things this much. There's no VANGUARD! moment in the show, the cymbal line doesn't form a V and I'm unmoved by the show. I feel like the show is so one layered. The music is sporadic, being played in little chunks here and there for a good portion of the show until we get to the almighty shaker tune. Yes I realize it is a classic folk melody, and it was great when Blast did it in 2001, but I'm just tired of it. Especially when it is basically the orchestral arrangement transferred to the field. With a standard piece like that, it would be nice to hear an inventive arrangement. I don't know, but that's the one I'm most disappointed with.

The things they are doing well: The balls-out extended chord at the end has a pretty good balance. Hard to do with a chord that long, that loud, and played front field. They also execute the show very well, with the marching and performance aspects. Better luck next year in the show design.

Well, I read past the first sentence and I'm asking asking "what?" as well. This my Favorite SCV show in years! Maybe even decades and my hands down favorite show from anyone this year.

No Vanguard moment? The ENTIRE show is a Vanguard moment! Oh wait... are you upset because you don't get to yell "Vanguard" this year? Well, there's no need for it and would just ruin a beautiful show.

Chopped up? Apparently you didn't listen to Key's comments during their show on the Fan Network or read any of the numerous SCV threads about the show. They aren't using the orchestral version of Appalachian Spring. They are using the original 13 piece suite that Martha Graham used for her ballet. Are you even familiar with the ballet?

Here you go, Martha Graham: Appalachian Spring. Watch that then come back.

Edited by skajerk

Not getting into Crown, Bluecoats, or BK at all this year. Love the opener for the Cavies, but the rest feels pretty sterile to me.

I don't get as fixated on the chairs as others seem to, so I'm digging BD this year, though I like the Cadets show better.

Interesting point.

After having seen BD at DCI West and again in Dallas, I watched the live High Camera Fan Network stream of San Antonio last night. We plugged the computer into the VGA port on our TV. The image was somewhat blurred due to an already fuzzy feed (bandwidth restriction probably) and then blowing it up on the TV.

And the chairs were not as prominent as seeing them live. And I actually appreciated BD's overall package more - or was at least able to forget about the chairs a bit. I still don't see how they're winning GE Visual though. But with the chairs less visible, I could start to find some things to like about this show - from a visual standpoint.

Something else that happens when watching the Fan Network stream. I think you lose much of the nuance of the body movements and "emoting" of all corps. So I would caution anyone using Fan Network alone as a way to find "sterile" performances. (Just my 2 cents there.)

Edited by bradrick

In my opinion Santa Clara is the biggest disappointment. I feel like the show is so one layered. The music is sporadic, being played in little chunks here and there for a good portion of the show until we get to the almighty shaker tune. Yes I realize it is a classic folk melody, and it was great when Blast did it in 2001, but I'm just tired of it. Especially when it is basically the orchestral arrangement transferred to the field. With a standard piece like that, it would be nice to hear an inventive arrangement.

The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps

My Kind of Town 2005

Machine 2006

:whistle:

I'll start off by saying I haven't seen SCV's show.

But what I wanted to address was Appalachian Spring. The whole thing about Appalachian is the simplicity of it (the name of the folk song bit is Simple Gifts).....and before someone hollers at me, I'm by no means saying simple as in lack of demand, I'm saying simplicity of the themes. The ballet displays this even more than the orchestral version (visually, it's very minimalistic, and if memory serves it was scored for just thirteen pieces).

So, I'm really glad that they didn't create an "inventive arrangement." It would be the opposite of the piece of music they're doing.

Just my .02