Phantom debacle

Okay, this brings up a good question that someone with solid BD knowledge can answer:

How long has BD been using Dynasty brass? Prior to that, what did they play on and what years?

Well, I know that by 1999 only DEG and Kanstul were making G bugles; this was a major reason for the push to multi-key instruments. DEG became (joined? bought out by?) Dynasty. Was BD using DEG in the 1990s?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said "all" top players. I said "most" as in majority. Of course there are those who don't. And that's why I also mentioned personal preference. And I'm glad you mentioned Alessi. Where do you think I heard it from?? Having a horn custom made just for you makes a big difference. Wouldn't you think he has a point?

Well this settles the confusion I was having.

You were saying they are all playing custom models from various companies, whereas I thought you were saying they play the same brand.

Cool deal.

Edited by rosski47

DEG became (joined? bought out by?) Dynasty. Was BD using DEG in the 1990s?

DEG was just Dynasty Entertainment Group, wasn't it? Same company?

I believe 2002 was when they went to dynasty. Because in 2003 when Pacific Crest made the switch from G to Bb horns, we purchased some of BD's old Dynasty horns from that year.

Heard from a friend of mine that the Jupiter instruments don't blow as freely as other instruments. A little more back pressure is the culprit for some of these horns. I'm sure the corps will still play well, no matter what the obstacle. Looking forward to hearing it all in Murfreesboro though!!

If I'm not mistaken, BD switched to Dynasty in 2001. Prior to that they drummed on Yamaha so my educated guess would be Yamaha horns as well because most corps that march Dynasty or Yamaha use solely their equipment for everything. Though there have been exceptions like Madison in 2004 (Dynasty-brass Yamaha-drums), SCV (Yamaha-brass Pearl-drums), and Phantom.

I will say this about my personal experiences with Dynasty, they can make a good horn. I personally could do without the micro-tune system as it made me overplay the horn too often. I can make almost a two page list comparing brass manufacturers with pros and cons for all models (I'm a nerd who worked at a music store and go to TMEA often) and I would still recommend Dynasty especially if you are on a budget. I cannot speak about the Quantum brass yet other than they don't fit the hands well.

Just remember that Jupiter is a growing brand and Phantom sounds good this year, the entire corps just lacks that "oomph" in almost every caption this year. At least no corps play certain brands from big box membership stores.

Well, I know that by 1999 only DEG and Kanstul were making G bugles; this was a major reason for the push to multi-key instruments. DEG became (joined? bought out by?) Dynasty. Was BD using DEG in the 1990s?

Dynasty is just the name of the marching brass line produced by DEG, not a seperate company.

why do people think Regiment is young this year? Don’t they have an abundance of audition candidates? I don’t think any of the top drawing corps are ever young unless that is where the real talent is which would migiate the ‘young’

Young doesn't necessarily refer to age, but to experience.