Best single minute of drum corps

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the minute that sealed my love for drum corps, BD 2000

(a show that gets WAY less attention than it deserves)

Oh man, I hear ya. There's this really short snippet of maybe 10 seconds in the closer where the brass plays that riff and it sounds so balanced and controlled and just so PERFECT, so literally perfect.

-------

edit:

just to add to the topic, off the top of my head (and to repeat what some already mentioned)....

+ PR 1996 opener, about 2 minutes in where the corps is standing in that triangular formation and they hit those big, dark, and brooding chords in unison, my god.

+ SCV 1999, The Canyon, the moment where the sops are doing their licks and the huge snake drill develops section by section and the mellos start ripping it up.

+ SCV 2003 the percussion feature, with the drums laying it down and the corps in that morphing square with the guard inside tossing rifles as the brass just unleashes a power chord.

+ Star 1991 closer. duh.

+ Star 1990, end of opener.

+ Cadets 1993, when the brass is playing backfield at the beginning of the closer, Ballet Sacra I think, and they turn around with a huge sound, and the pit is just slamming on the keyboards that typical Holsinger accented rhythm, and the mellos are going crazy...AHHHH... my favorite closer.

Edited by just_another_fanatic

I always thought I was a drill man. But my favorite two moments are musical - no marching:

1993 Star of Indiana - Just before the closer - spooky, quiet music - the corps has hardly played above forte all night, and then they unleash those thick, funky cords, blasting away, yet perfectly in tune (as always), with the pit hammering on anything that they can hit, and they hold the note to a perfect cut off, and drop into the quiet again. Wow, I described that better than the CD liner notes.

1997 Cadets - First 30 seconds of the opener

1976??? I know the crowd went nuts in 79 and 80 but don't remember them even competing in 76?

Kemo

I think Mike got so carried away that he didn't realize he put '76 instead of any of the years Spirit really DID play Let It Be Me. As you suspected, Kemo, Spirit was NOT around in '76.

...hey Mr. Peabody lets go in the way back machine...1969 Troopers at World Open playing "How the West Was Won" during the exit and the crowd throwing babies, kitchen sinks, old ladies and money out of the stands. Incredible moment.

'80 Spirit of Atlanta: "Let it be me" Without a doubt the single most emotional moment ever seen at finals. :doh:

1980 Spirit "Let It Be ME" :doh::doh::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

1980 Spirit "Let It Be ME" :worthy::doh::doh::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Ooooooooh... good one!

For me it's 1995 Madison playing Malaga - from the soprano screamers to the end... on the DVD you can't even hear the corps over the crowd.

SCV 2000 'Adagio for Strings' is also a favorite...

Edited by Lead

1997 Cadets - First 30 seconds of the opener

Good choice. :doh: I absolutely love that opener!!

I would also have to agree on '92 Cavaliers (Gavorkna Fanfare), '96 Phantom Regiment (intro and closer), '00 Cadets (last 1 1/2 minutes), and '90/'91 Star closers (with '90 being a tear jerker). I also liked '94 Blue Devils closer.

Y'all are giving me ideas for making ringtones for my iPhone.

I know the feeling. I use some of these clips as email notifications and as sounds when my computer starts and shuts down.

Edited by gbell211