Best single minute of drum corps

scouts 95

blue devils 03

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1990 ending to Academie Musicale's "Young Sherlock Holmes" where the horns dissolved the final horn block, went off to the side and so imperceptibly made the transition from playing the horns to singing "ah" on the last sustained chord, one wasn't aware they were no longer playing their horns until they noticed all the horns were down at their side. Absolutely inspired. I was totally transfixed.

All time : Star 91

For years and years and years and years 1990 Academie Musicale (Liberty Fanfare, the body movements...theater taken to the MAX before anyone else did it!) has been my fave, fave, fave. (the crowd that night liked Railmen, too...remember?)

Runner up: 27th Lancers 94 opener and Danny Boy. Jeez :tongue:

That's tough.

I've settled on the final minute of Star of Indiana 1993.

I would have to go with '79 SCV. The end of "If you believe" "Okay, time for Shostakov.....OH MY GOD....The Bottle Dance!!!" Look out, its raining babies!! :tongue::tongue::smile:

Second choice: '80 Spirit of Atlanta: "Let it be me" Without a doubt the single most emotional moment ever seen at finals. :smile:

So many to pick from but I'll stick with the Bottle Dance ending to Santa Clara's 1975 show. :tongue:

Various sections from 95 and 97 Blue Devils.

"Crazy 8's" section in Cavies 2002.

The last 20 years, by year! :tongue:

1989 - Last minute of Phantom's "New World Symphony." Yeah, SCV ended strong, too, but Phantom takes it for me.

1990 - Last minute of Star of Indiana's "Belshazzar's Feast."

1991 - Last minute of Phantom's "Bacchanale." Star was incredible, but Phantom was unhinged (effect-wise) at the end of their show.

1992 - Not even a minute: the last 30 seconds or so of The Cavaliers' "Gavorkna Fanfare." Pretty much said "Hi, we're taking the title. Enjoy the rest of the show."

1993 - Real tough call. Cadets and Star both ended phenomenally. Blue Devils had a soloist bonanza in "Strawberry Soup." But I have to go with the crab-stepping wedge at the end of the Ginastera "Malambo" in Phantom's show. Crowd ran out of babies and were throwing grannies and pets onto the field (no offense, Granny, hope you were okay).

1994 - Last minute of Blue Devils' "Day Danse" from the plastic discs on the snares to the monkey sticking and the triple-forte unresolved ending. Pure adrenaline.

1995 - Last minute of Carolina Crown's "Stormworks." Still my favorite double-digit placement show ever.

1996 - Last minute of Phantom's "Intro to Fourth Ballet Suite." Jim Wren outdid himself. To this day I consider Phantom's 96 opener to be the best job of brass arranging I've heard on the field.

1997 - Last minute of Madison Scouts' "Pirates of Lake Mendota." I mean, come on, the drum major abandoned the corps to their never-ending power chord and turned around to take a picture of the stands. Epic win.

1998 - Last minute of Vanguard's "Grohg" opener.

1999 - Last minute of Vanguard's "Barber Symphony No. 1" second piece. Musically fantastic, and that collapsing Y-box move is the best visual I've seen in person. Not to mention the insane energy level SCV had that Saturday night.

2000 - Cadets' show-off section at the start of the closer. Ridiculous. No offense, Cav fans, but I still can't fathom how "Niagara Falls" caught this show (and I liked Niagara Falls!)

2001 - Vanguard's "Alarm" to start the show. Absolutely inspired.

2002 - Last minute of Blue Devils' "Channel One Suite" with the snares and quads running around that cymbal rack and the most ridiculously awesome bass drum runs I've ever heard. Honorable mention: last minute of The Magic's "Wind and the Lion" show.

2003 - Last minute of Phantom's "Ostinato" with the Pachebel "Canon" reprise, the crab-stepping wedge finishing with the hop and the 360... great stuff.

2004 - Last minute of Vanguard's "Scheherazade." Myron Rosander's best visual work is at the end of this show, most notably that awesome rippling company front.

2005 - Vanguard's percussion feature during "Symphony No. 12" Sorry, I love me some Shostakovich.

2006 - Start of Cadets' "Tea Party" drum feature. I actually liked the design of this show better than the 2005 show, but the execution level just wasn't there.

2007 - Last minute of Phantom's "1000 Airplanes on the Roof"

2008 - Last minute of Phantom's "Spartacus"

2009 (so far) - Carolina Crown's "Puck" in the middle of the show, with all the body movement and people falling to their knees and springing back up while marching forward.

Okay, I'll go back to my nerd-hole. :tongue:

Well i was browsing the internet looking at videos and what not when I came across magic, and having that tenor fall, lol, funniest thing ever, though I would say im not a huge cavies fan because their hornline isnt awsome like Crowns, but anyways ive always like the drill and in 2008 when they all jumped over the hornline that was the coolest thing ever!