Favorite show WITHOUT a clear theme or story

There has been a lot of discussion lately about the need for shows to have a clearly defined theme or story. Throughout the years, many great shows have been created to tell a specific story or to convey a precise theme. Some are fan favorites. Some are champions. Spartacus, anyone? Unfortunately, I have seen good corps pulled under by a contrived, weak, or cheesy theme.

While considering these story-telling shows, I must admit that I am sometimes more comfortable with a show that is NOT overly narrative or dramatic. I will often cringe at a show that is programmed to tug at the heart strings. When presented a weakly defined story, I would much prefer a straightforward design based on great music and a great visual package.

So, I pose this question: What are your favorite shows that do NOT have a clear theme or story?

Within my top five favorite shows, I can easily select:

Cadets 1997 - The music of Philip Sparks: Great music, incredible drill. A show designed around the concept of "Holy crap, they can play and march!"

Star of Indiana 1993 - Medea: A show that has been discussed ad nauseum on DCP, mostly because it kicked ###. The theme here was something like, "Sure we can't..."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a lot of discussion lately about the need for shows to have a clearly defined theme or story. Throughout the years, many great shows have been created to tell a specific story or to convey a precise theme. Some are fan favorites. Some are champions. Spartacus, anyone? Unfortunately, I have seen good corps pulled under by a contrived, weak, or cheesy theme.

While considering these story-telling shows, I must admit that I am sometimes more comfortable with a show that is NOT overly narrative or dramatic. I will often cringe at a show that is programmed to tug at the heart strings. When presented a weakly defined story, I would much prefer a straightforward design based on great music and a great visual package.

So, I pose this question: What are your favorite shows that do NOT have a clear theme or story?

Within my top five favorite shows, I can easily select:

Cadets 1997 - The music of Philip Sparks: Great music, incredible drill. A show designed around the concept of "Holy crap, they can play and march!"

Star of Indiana 1993 - Medea: A show that has been discussed ad nauseum on DCP, mostly because it kicked ###. The theme here was something like, "Sure we can't..."

SCV 1999 and 2000 were pretty awesome

Star 1993

Scouts 1994

Cadets 1998

Madison Scouts on so many occasions that it's hard to name them all. It is interesting that they were the masters of entertainment, and often their shows had no theme or story.

Here are some years:

1988 - no theme, just great music and drill.

1989 - no theme, see above

1990 - Lemon Squeeze. Interesting show, but really no theme, just music and drill

1991 and 1992: City of Angels, but really not a theme show, the title was just letting you know they were doing music from that show

1993: same

1994: same

1995 and 1996: A Drum Corps Fan's Dream, Part I and II - no theme, just music and motion

And when they did a theme show, like 1997's "Pirates of Lake Mendota" or 1999's "Jesus Christ Superstar," they did not try to tell a story, or to be too literal with the theme. They simply presented images of those stories. They gave you impressionism over story telling. It worked very well.

Most of their shows are what I call Style Shows. This type of show presents a musical style, perhaps featuring music of a composer, a musical genre, or by mixing the elements a bit and selling the show through excellent arrangement and drill.

I'd say their shows worked well.

Blue Devils 1986 is another example. Just flat out great music and drill. Or BD 1988. No theme, just great music.

The Cavaliers are masters at not really doing a theme but a style. Obviously their show this year is a bit more theme-based, but take 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003. Those shows simply featured a style, only in this case the style was visual with music arranged to match the visual. Think about it: what is the theme to Spin Cycle, or Four Corners? The idea there was to sell a style of visual presentation and to match music to it perfectly. They were brilliant designs!

Edited by jwillis35

Crossmen 1990.

That's a good choice. They straight up played the music of NY Voices and the closer was a B&LLBUSTER!!!

I find it kind of hard to justify some of the postings thus far.

93 Star had a clear theme and used tons of Visual motif's to support that theme.

I guess someone should define what is or isn't a theme?

My money goes on 85 and 88 Cadets. Bernstein and Coplands 5th. Great stuff!

00 Southwind.

You can pretty much rail off any show before 1990 and it'll be a great example too.

Nah, you'd have to go back a little further than that. There were quite a few themed shows before 1990, but I get what you're saying. It just started a little further back than that.

Phantom, BK, Cavies, SCV, Star, Freelancers, Suncoast Sound, Sky Ryders, Dutch Boy, Spirit, Garfield, etc all had themes to their shows.

That's a good choice. They straight up played the music of NY Voices and the closer was a B&LLBUSTER!!!

I find it kind of hard to justify some of the postings thus far.

93 Star had a clear theme and used tons of Visual motif's to support that theme.

I guess someone should define what is or isn't a theme?

My money goes on 85 and 88 Cadets. Bernstein and Coplands 5th. Great stuff!

LOL. I thought the theme for Garfield in '88 was "more Copland"! They were great!